When the Bulldogs sued News Ltd. and won

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm trying to track down some old articles discussing the end of the super league war and the resulting law suit by the Dogs against Booze Unlimited (News Ltd.).

What I can remember is, we were assured by Booze that if a unified comp was to go ahead that we would be guaranteed a place as a stand alone entity in that competition, fast forward to the end of SL and ALL clubs needed to meet certain criteria in order to be assured a place in the NRL competition.

Obviously having to meet the various criteria to be considered for a place was not what we agreed to with Booze and the Dogs rightly sued them for the breach of contract, soon to be followed by all the other clubs that had the same agreement with Booze and a massive payout by Booze to all parties, with the lions share going to the Dogs.

They've been out to get us ever since.

Anyone else remember this a little more clearly or able to find a link somewhere, it would be great to get your input.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been saying this for ages.
I know we can't believe every thing we read but...Canterbury sued and settled out of court for $32.5 millions and went on to support Souths to be reinstated.
Ever since we've became the target of Elimination or Relocation !!!

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thx mate, I was beginning to think I imagined it when I couldn't find a single hint of it online.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm trying to track down some old articles discussing the end of the super league war and the resulting law suit by the Dogs against Booze Unlimited (News Ltd.).

What I can remember is, we were assured by Booze that if a unified comp was to go ahead that we would be guaranteed a place as a stand alone entity in that competition, fast forward to the end of SL and ALL clubs needed to meet certain criteria in order to be assured a place in the NRL competition.

Obviously having to meet the various criteria to be considered for a place was not what we agreed to with Booze and the Dogs rightly sued them for the breach of contract, soon to be followed by all the other clubs that had the same agreement with Booze and a massive payout by Booze to all parties, with the lions share going to the Dogs.

Anyone else remember this a little more clearly or able to find a link somewhere, it would be great to get your input.
Certainly explains a lot of why they come at the Dogs relentlessly

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I certainly do mate,and u know what,I have never bought another telegraph,or news limited magazines since,I refuse to listen to anything Paul Kent has to say,or watch anything that has anything to do with news limited

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I will share this incident with everyone and you can be the judges...
It was the year 2001, we copped some shellackings from the referees, But after loosing to St George in the semifinal for the second week in a row, I was devastated how we lost and how Trent Barret was allowed to play in the finals after elbowing Anasta in the head in the final round of the season,
Barret was given 3 weeks suspension on Sunday, reduced to 1 week on Monday then ended up playing against us days later after his midweek appeal...It was very dodgy !
Out of frustration I called the CEO Bob Hagan questioning the referees vendetta against us and the Barrett incident.
I asked to Bob, has the unfair treatment to us has anything to do with us supporting Souths to be reinstated ?
Bobs exact words were...You've pulled the short straw...meaning spot on !
I asked...what can the club do about it ?
He said nothing...It's up to the supporters to ring or write to the NRL and complain...they might listen to you.
Sadly the refs and News Ltd's vendetta has gotten worse ever since !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.