Status
Not open for further replies.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
Whatuira puts troubles behind him to join Eels' rebuilding push
Glenn Jackson
December 17, 2010

Incentive deal ... Paul Whatuira will return to the NRL after a turbulent three-year stint with Huddersfield. Photo: Getty Images
PARRAMATTA are poised to sign former New Zealand centre Paul Whatuira as the club tries to rebound from the departures of Timana Tahu and Eric Grothe.

Whatuira agreed to a one-year deal yesterday - with an option in the Eels' favour for 2012 - and will formally sign with the club subject to a medical on Monday. The dual premiership winner was set to retire after a three-year stint with Super League club Huddersfield before a meeting with new Eels coach Stephen Kearney, a former teammate, gave him an NRL lifeline.

''It's good to be back,'' Whatuira said yesterday, shortly after agreeing to a modest deal, which includes incentives. ''It's a good opportunity for me to try and establish myself back in the NRL. It's been three years, and I'm really looking forward to it.

''I always thought I'd come back and hopefully finish up in the NRL. It's a great opportunity Parramatta have given me … it's a great club with tradition, and they've got some quality players there. I've still got that hunger and I'm still willing to learn, and I'm just stoked.

''I was contemplating retirement, but one door closes and another one opens. Losing Timana was a big loss for the club, and Eric Grothe announcing his retirement is a huge loss too, but that's given me an opportunity to try and work my way back into the system. It's great timing.''

After losing a host of players from their 2010 squad, culminating in the expected departure of Tahu and the retirement of Grothe, the Eels this week signed former Manly winger Chris Hicks, who had been playing at Warrington, and there had even been suggestions former Bulldogs winger Matt Utai might be eyeing off a deal at the club.

Alongside Whatuira, the Eels have also offered a lifeline to another experienced outside back, Chris Walker. Both will be gambles on Kearney's part. Kearney decided to take the punt on Whatuira, who won premierships in 2003 and 2005 with Penrith and Wests Tigers respectively, after talks on Tuesday. Whatuira made his Test debut in 2004 alongside Kearney and was a club teammate at Melbourne in 2001.

''He's definitely a coach that I want to learn off,'' Whatuira said. ''I know they've been working hard in the pre-season, and I definitely see Parramatta as a club on the rise.

''Jarryd Hayne's a freak. It'll be awesome to play alongside him. And Nathan Hindmarsh is a great leader. It's definitely a club on the rise, and they've definitely got the talent there. I just want to try and work hard and be a part of it.''

Whatuira's comeback is stirring given the bouts of depression which resulted in his arrest for assaulting two Huddersfield fans last year and a subsequent stint in a psychiatric hospital. The 29-year-old was reluctant to discuss the ordeal yesterday but said his life had turned around after the birth of his daughter, Gabrielle, who is almost one.

His move will bring him closer to his family, as well as that of his wife Vanessa. But Whatuira was not about to get carried away with his impending shot at an NRL return.

''I'm not going to promise anything,'' Whatuira said. ''I just want to give it my best shot. I know I'm going to have to work hard and put my head down. It's something I really feel that I can achieve. I don't expect to jump straight into the squad. I know they've got some quality centres there. I'm just going to have to fit into the set-up and work hard and bide my time.''

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
"I don't expect to jump straight into the squad. I know they've got some quality centres there."

Who would they be lol?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
another solid signing. Nothing flashy but he was always handy. He won a premiership with penrith and the tigers earlier.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phuck I hate Parramatta !

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
and there had even been suggestions former Bulldogs winger Matt Utai might be eyeing off a deal at the club

just lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
May as well change their name to Parramatta "Greatest Hits" Eels.. oh and start playing with the retro jersey because they are going back in a time machine to sign these players I'm sure.

Who next? Ethel and Mertyl from Units 23 and 41 of Sunnyside Retirement Village?

I'll laugh my arse off when half their team is out injured because they've bought older players.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I use to rate Whatuira when he was at both Penrith and Wests... very underated by others... not sure how he faired in the SL with his personal problems

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I use to rate Whatuira when he was at both Penrith and Wests... very underated by others... not sure how he faired in the SL with his personal problems
Agreed. I rated him very highly. Underrated indeed.

But lets face it - Parra's 3rd quarter line resembles more of a retirement village than a backline. Hayne is the youngest at 22. The rest are around the 29-32. Burt, Walker, Whatuira, and potentially Utai - and then you have Aitkins.. lol nice work parra

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is this a rebuilding phase when they'll have half the squad retire come the end of 2011 and they'll have to rebuild again?

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Majority of these guys have signed one year deals to fill in for the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.