Whats the buzz: Gus sends 37 dogs to the pound.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus didn't have anything to do with Meaney, surely he has to do some research into stories before posting them lol
Buzz does no research anything. He is a fiction writer. There is no facts in anything he writes. News Limited needs to step in and save dithering fool from himself.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brah the way he talks on nrl360 sometimes u can see the cogs turning before he talks. He's going to have a Mitch McConnell moment very soon I reckon. Possibly after Gordy questions him about the Sharks next haha
I like how he trembles when talking about the bulldogs? We’re gonna give him a stroke, when we turn it around.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Here’s the article - and yes, the typo on ‘positive’ is lifted from the article. Onya Buzz :-):

Phil Gould is undertaking the biggest roster clean out at the Canterbury Bulldogs in rugby league history.

No less than 37 players have been either sacked, tapped, retired, chosen to leave or left in limbo since he arrived at Belmore in 2021 on a mission to turn the perennial losers into a premiership force. Contracts have meant nothing in the most ruthless rebuild the game has ever seen.

It has paved the way for the arrival of some of the game’s biggest names including Josh Addo-Carr, Billy Kikau, Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton, Read Mahoney, Sio Siua Taukeiaho along with the likes of Bronson Xerri, Liam Knight and Toby Sexton.

Since Gould arrived the Dogs have finished 16th, 12th — and are now running 16th.

Despite all the player movement, Gould says it could take “five or six years” to get into a position to achieve sustainable success.

THE POSITVE

There’s no question the Bulldogs needed to do something drastic. Gould and Cameron Ciraldo are trying to build a stronger and more professional culture with major signings from the Panthers, Roosters and Eels.

Not just on the football field but in training and preparation. Players who can handle the relentless 24/7 demands required for success.

There’s no question that, on paper, they are building a roster capable of climbing the ladder.

THE NEGATIVE

Too much chopping and changing. Three coaches – Des Hasler, Dean Pay and Trent Barrett have been sacked since 2017.

The Dogs need quick results but panic buying is their danger.

Their members are notoriously impatient and the next football club board election is due in February next year. Just ask former chairs Ray Rib or Lynn Anderson about the power of the members. A new disgruntled group that is emerging behind the scenes.

THE COST

A roster rebuild of this magnitude does not come cheap. The Dogs have had to contribute to some of those who have left.

Plus they’ve got Gould’s salary ($900,000 estimate), Cameron Ciraldo $800,000 for five years, and the highest paid sports science expert in the game, Travis Touma.

Their football club balance sheet is probably the worst of all 17 clubs.

Most now run self-sufficient businesses yet the Bulldogs still need to take a $6 million grant from their leagues club to break square.

It could be an issue because in recent months licensed club trade and profits have fallen due to the cost-of-living crisis.Almost all other Sydney based NRL clubs no longer rely on poker machines.

THE RISK

We’re not sure that Canterbury did its due diligence before the signing of former Roosters front-row enforcer Sio Siua Taukeiaho, who will be 32 in January. Taukeiaho has played only six of the Catalan Dragons’ 19 games in the UK Super League. Other NRL clubs dropped off when they became aware of his injury issues.

Bronson Xerri looked a sensational prospect at the Cronulla Sharks.

It will have been four years since he played and he’s certainly beefed up. And despite all the impressive new signings, they still don’t have the most important position covered – a great playmaking half.

As one club insider told me: “This is panic buying to protect the board at the election.”

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We didn't offer an extension to Napa in 2021....I thought we'd celebrated his leaving the team well before that.
An example of shutting trauma out of our memory, it seemed so long ago and for me still the most idiotic signing we as a club have ever made especially when we were meant to be saving cap space and from memory were still allowed to front end contracts at the time.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I guess we also disregard that Gus had nothing to do with the recruitment of JAC and Burto who were done before he arrived. Seems Buzz has gotten a few of his ‘facts’ for this story from TK :tearsofjoy:. #TheDailyAstonisher

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Buzz mentions Gus’s salary at every given opportunity even though he’s guessing, that’s the real issue for the buzzard,Gus has been successful in his chosen career.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Buzz mentions Gus’s salary at every given opportunity even though he’s guessing, that’s the real issue for the buzzard,Gus has been successful in his chosen career.
Buzz has also made $900000.
It just took 40 years :-).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How this shit stain still has a job at journalist is beyond me. He doesn't fact check and just comes up with poor quality content that has no insight to meet his weekly quota. I'm glad Fox are wasting their money on this prick.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How this shit stain still has a job at journalist is beyond me. He doesn't fact check and just comes up with poor quality content that has no insight to meet his weekly quota. I'm glad Fox are wasting their money on this prick.
He fits their criteria for journalistic integrity lol

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s gonna kick the bucket before we finish our rebuild. Hang on buzz want you to see us win a premiership before you burn in hell and have Andrew Ryan’s tackle on loop for eternity

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As one club insider told me: “This is panic buying to protect the board at the election.”

Peptides … and 1 premiership = bitter

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
"on a mission to turn the perennial losers"
What a Fuktard this bloke is!