What will our DNA look like moving forward?

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In the late seventies and early eighties we were labelled the entertainers playing champagne football. Then in 1984 the Warren Ryan era was born and the dogs of war created with long grass and brutal defence. The 90's saw a combination of open and defensive play with a trophy in 1995 led by Terry Lamb. Our last triumph was in 2004 with a great side of talent and strong defence led by big Willie, Ogre,Thurston and co. Now some nineteen years later with two opportunities in 2012 and 14 new coaching staff and management, where does our DNA lie.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Whatever Panther DNA is

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else sick of people using the term DNA?

We are a sporting club, not genetic information packed into a body cell.

Happy Friday!!!!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don’t have an identity just yet, that is still forming… last season was so disjointed it was near impossible to manufacture.

I believe Ciro is trying to forge an identity built on defence and effort. Wether that changes next season I don’t know (he may well develop a plan around playing “small ball” i.e. given our lack of size, play “up-tempo”).

It’s actually a really good point to raise because the top 8 caliber teams have a distinct style of play, ours is unknown - it will probably depend on who makes up the remaining top 30 spots.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Happy Friday!!!!
I agree the term is overused for sure at this club, and there’s no DNA blueprint for premierships, it’s whatever style suits your roster, setting high standards and man management that gets it done - but if we’re being specific about Bulldog “DNA”, it’s simple, the Club has always been around that blue collar work ethic, thriving under adversity, never giving up and playing for each other towards a common goal.

We’ve lost a fair amount of that built-in mentality and I know Ciraldo has been trying to foster that back into the playing Group… that was super clear when Gus and CC emphasised the Braidon Burns effort on one leg with the 4 other Bulldogs chasers forcing the try out wide that ultimately led to a two point victory… they harped on about it for weeks. But that is what we as fans expect and that’s why we are the best fans in the competition - we recognise effort in a blue and white jersey and back the team even if stone motherless last, so long as that desire and effort is there.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree the term is overused for sure at this club, and there’s no DNA blueprint for premierships, it’s whatever style suits your roster, setting high standards and man management that gets it done - but if we’re being specific about Bulldog “DNA”, it’s simple, the Club has always been around that blue collar work ethic, thriving under adversity, never giving up and playing for each other towards a common goal.

We’ve lost a fair amount of that built-in mentality and I know Ciraldo has been trying to foster that back into the playing Group… that was super clear when Gus and CC emphasised the Braidon Burns effort on one leg with the 4 other Bulldogs chasers forcing the try out wide that ultimately led to a two point victory… they harped on about it for weeks. But that is what we as fans expect and that’s why we are the best fans in the competition - we recognise effort in a blue and white jersey and back the team even if stone motherless last, so long as that desire and effort is there.
should get this post framed. That’s exactly what we are trying to build again.

club first, team second, individual third

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Happy Friday!!!!
Nasheed here,
You are right,
Especially since we turn over 1/3 of the squad every year.
The doggs don’t really have a culture as we are the transit lounge of the NRL.
If RFM goes we will have no players left from 2021 season.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You are right,
Especially since we turn over 1/3 of the squad every year.
The doggs don’t really have a culture as we are the transit lounge of the NRL.
If RFM goes we will have no players left from 2021 season.
The last point is kind of a good thing… especially considering that year was under the TB regime.

upward and onward

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In the late seventies and early eighties we were labelled the entertainers playing champagne football. Then in 1984 the Warren Ryan era was born and the dogs of war created with long grass and brutal defence. The 90's saw a combination of open and defensive play with a trophy in 1995 led by Terry Lamb. Our last triumph was in 2004 with a great side of talent and strong defence led by big Willie, Ogre,Thurston and co. Now some nineteen years later with two opportunities in 2012 and 14 new coaching staff and management, where does our DNA lie.
I think making the grand final in 2012 and 14 was a peak as far as getting a team winning the comp. We just didn't win the GF. If we did then it would be a different story. But I think though it was great the 2012 and 14 GF appearences came at a cost where we neglected our development and ended up with an over inflated salary cap.

This started to be addresed with the change of board and Gus coming in. A big part is changing culture and getting back to Bulldogs being Born and Bred. This has and will take time. Nothing good comes quick and easy. But I think we are beginning to see some results with development of juniors in winning comps. I am sort of happier that we are doing well in the juniors than winning the NRL comp at the moment. So long as that continues it will naturally spill into the top grade.

I think we will become a new version of this whatever type of footy we play. I don't think any team can gain an advantage by implementing some new tactic because its evened up so much and the rules prevent this now. Obviously things have to be adjusted to modern rules and coaching. But a lot comes down to professionalism, stamina as the Panthers have shown which we are implementing with the academy and Ciraldo.

Of course defence is always important but that comes down to commitment as well which I think we lacked in the past and we have already shown an improvement in attack and will get better. But most of all none of that matters without the culture and spirit of the Bulldogs which I think Gus knows is most relevant.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The last point is kind of a good thing… especially considering that year was under the TB regime.

upward and onward
But is it?
Did we make 30 wrong decisions that year?
I’m going to make a post on it when I can find the words but if we continue this constant turnover then forget DNA/Culture. We are going to be stuck in an endless rebuilding state.
We need to build on guys not ‘start fresh’ all the time.
A good example of this is Corey Waddell.
He showed improvement. He is hardworking (such a big thing for CC evidently) Was on a cheap deal and whoever we replace him with for that bench spot will not be any better than him in all likelihood. Moreso- he was already on our books. To build means to build on what we have, not knock down.
I’ll support everyday getting rid of true deadweights but the guys who do ok shouldn’t be replaced with other newbies on the slight gamble they might be better. I can’t imagine this attitude os helping us pick up new talent either knowing unless they are superstars they won’t get a doggs career.
Strangely everything I have pointed out makes the RFM 3 year deal we did even more bizarre.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was always proud of what it is that I understood to be the Bulldogs DNA which is as follows-

A tough no nonsense club that bashed, fought and scrapped for everything they could on a football field with a never say die, never give up attitude.

Opposition teams would always say that they knew they had played the Bulldogs because their bodies would be bashed & bruised after the encounter.

I am so hopeful that this proud club can get back to being that.

We so desperately need to find some on feild "Bashers & Bruises".

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I was always proud of what it is that I understood to be the Bulldogs DNA which is as follows-

A tough no nonsense club that bashed, fought and scrapped for everything they could on a football field with a never say die, never give up attitude.

Opposition teams would always say that they knew they had played the Bulldogs because their bodies would be bashed & bruised after the encounter.

I am so hopeful that this proud club can get back to being that.
I’m sympathetic when I say this but those days are long gone.