Opinion What Trent needs to do ASAP

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not far enough, Greenland would be better, It's hard to believe he was the attack coach at the Panthers, his second season with us now and I've yet to see a game plan, there are no set moves when we are in the opposition quarter, his player positioning selection is shit and so is his player rotation and the same excuses every week are wearing thin.
At Penrith he had a team who have played together since juniors. Here he is starting from scratch.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At Penrith he had a team who have played together since juniors. Here he is starting from scratch.
I've yet to see a game plan, there are no set moves when we are in the opposition quarter, his player positioning selection is shit and so is his player rotation and the same excuses every week are wearing thin.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've yet to see a game plan, there are no set moves when we are in the opposition quarter, his player positioning selection is shit and so is his player rotation and the same excuses every week are wearing thin.
We've had cummins twice and played in the rain twice, both of these things have hampered our attack.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh sacking baz after 3 rounds makes total sense. Last year doesn't count we had the worst dogs side in my lifetime then

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topine hasn't been given a chance tbh. Flops like Waddell being picked ahead of him every week. I would play Topine for 20-30 minutes off the bench in the middle from what I've seen. When someone like Waddell offers nothing I'd rather play the kid that has energy and enthusiasm.
Waddell is playing on an edge, so if you want to compare him to Waddell they need to at least play the same position. Topine would get eaten alive in the middle, he’s way too small for that role

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh sacking baz after 3 rounds makes total sense. Last year doesn't count we had the worst dogs side in my lifetime then
I think anyone that understands the game knows that Barrett isnt going to be sacked after 3 games, maybe not even until the end of the season unless we start to look uninterested and stop defending like we are. He has time to do something, my problem is making stupid changes like swapping halves after 2 games.

Okunbor had to go but why train all off season with Averillo and then after 2 games where we looked positive as a team but still developing combos, drop him for Wakeham?? Sends a shit message I reckon, Wakeham has aslo proved many times that he is a great sub and not an 80 min player. How long does Wakeham now get before he changes the halves again?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Baz will never keep everyone at the kennel happy with selections. Half the place wanted averillo replaced last week, now he was and ppl wonder why he did it.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who comes in for Hetherington next week?
Maybe Stimson, although I would probably prefer Jackson back out to second row with Thompson at lock at least his pace and foot work could offer something

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I know is 3 rounds of not scoring points last year I was trying to be optimistic because we had a new coach that came from a strong club.
Ive usually calmed down the following morning after a lost game.
We look clueless in attack, thats a fact.
I dont know what Trent needs to do, thats his job but Im not optimistic.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defensively we are aiming up except for halfback position. 2 of our 3 games have been in torrential rain BUT even a village idiot knows the tactics in those conditions and in both games we didn't use our kicking game properly at all. In attack, which is allegedly Barrett's strength, we are still just link passing with the winger being run over the sideline like U12's. Its just really frustrating to watch. I feel that we have no edge forward that can tackle bust and we have too many effort players in our forward mix. Mahoney will work wonders but we still need a genuine nrl halfback to unlock our spine & our attack properly

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our forwards got dominated. A lot of the talk on here was how our forwards were going to maul manly, it didn't happen and doesn't really matter what happens from there if we have no go forward then the spine and backs are up against it from the get go.

Be hard to judge wakeham too harshly for this reason. But as good as naden and JAC seem to get along, they aren't a good combo on the field. JAC is going to get frustrated sooner or later, I think Burns went well on the wing but probably is a bitter fit at centre with JAC.

Shoupp is still a work in progress, especially defensively. He tends to crowd in without his winger. That try before half time we were so far infield, Burns saved us a few times. I've noticed Naden has missed a few one on ones, his defence is questionable.

I think pushing naden to wing makes sense, the more I see it the more I like it. Carries from kick returns would be strong. Maybe Allan into the centres when fit, at least he can pass.
Forwards need to do better - still being dominated for much of the game - struggle for yards with the ball and give up al ot when defending. Better than last year but still a struggle to compete

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Forwards need to do better - still being dominated for much of the game - struggle for yards with the ball and give up al ot when defending. Better than last year but still a struggle to compete
I thought they were good rounds 1 & 2, to be honest though we looked like we didn't want to be there from the get go. Away game, wet conditions, last game of the round. Late changes, vocal crowd. It just didn't look like we believed we could win.
Some of the players even looked frustrated with each other with some of the stupid penalties.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think anyone that understands the game knows that Barrett isnt going to be sacked after 3 games, maybe not even until the end of the season unless we start to look uninterested and stop defending like we are. He has time to do something, my problem is making stupid changes like swapping halves after 2 games.

Okunbor had to go but why train all off season with Averillo and then after 2 games where we looked positive as a team but still developing combos, drop him for Wakeham?? Sends a shit message I reckon, Wakeham has aslo proved many times that he is a great sub and not an 80 min player. How long does Wakeham now get before he changes the halves again?
Beacause the kennel wanted Avalliro gone.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz will never keep everyone at the kennel happy with selections. Half the place wanted averillo replaced last week, now he was and ppl wonder why he did it.
Well said Dog. The kennel sux.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dufty
6. Burton
7. Averillo (Baz got it wrong, BBO next best option)
9. JMK

2. JAC
3. Schoupp
4. Burns (isn't a winger)
5. Naden

8. King (demands more minutes)
10. Vaughan
11. TPJ (Waddell doesn't offer enough on an edge)
12. Hetherington
13. Jackson

14. BBO
15. Thompson
16. Patolo
17. Topine (bleeds blue and white and other options dogshit, e.g. Waddell)

I'd be sussing out Shane Flanagan to take over coaching too.
If you’re gonna suss out Shane then he’s obviously gonna give his son first crack. Which with the right coaching might be a good thing?

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wasn’t averilli injured for a lot of preseason and Wakeham was playing that role and doing well, so not as big a disruption as we think