What to do with Brenko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with this except i reckon fullback is the hardest defense position, you have to cover so much ground. Centre would be up there though, coz you always have skillful speedsters running at you, that will be down the other end of the field or in for a try if you miss them. If you miss closer in often theres enough other players there to cover you. Wing isnt hard, they have the sideline to limit where the attackers can run.
It's not about the ground you have to cover, it's about the decision making around whether to go up and in, slide, whether you can trust the winger to move with you or stay out. At FB all you have to do is tackle whoever is in front of you normally.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
So you were happy with our lucky tries and useless finishing to our sets were you? Brenko Lee, not Chase not JMoz not BMoz not Hoppa not Montoy is our most damaging runner with the ball - breaking through tackles. he needs to be fucken coached how to defend...it would take 3 intensive training sessions and hed be as good as JMoz. Its not rocket science FFS and it doesnt help when he is put next to Frawley who is struggling with the speed of the game defensively as well.....Brenko long term spot at Right Centre, Stanley on bench to come on as a wide running utility player playing left or right edge, instead of a forward being picked as interchange and not used.
I was happy that our right edge was picked apart and raped like in previous weeks. That's far more valuable than a few tackle busts. Let's not forget that against the Panthers Brenko made a couple of good strong runs that ended up in the ball being turned over because he dropped it, threw a wayward pass or fucked up the play the ball.

I do admire your optimism that a guy who has played rugby league all his life and still has trouble making correct defensive choices can be reprogrammed in "3 intensive sessions" so much do that he'd be as good defensively as arguably the best defensive centre of the past decade. No, seriously, well done. You know your stuff.

Lee is Jamal Idris 2.0. He'll do some good things but he will remain a defensive liability if he remains in the centres

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How good was Montoya. He was shutting shit down left, right and centre before it could happen.

Lee always put himself in the wrong place at the wrong time defensivelt.

Montoya is also amazing under the high ball. He's Curtis Rona like in how he leaps. They need to bomb it into his direction more often on the 5th. Dangerous looking - a true contestor of the high ball

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brenko Lee os a gun attacking centre with suspect defence

Onces he fixes the defence he will be a gun centre

Im a fan

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I like Lee, but, I do like Lee more in NSW Cup for the moment.

There are a few things awesome about his game, but there are a few things that just plain suck too. He needs to learn defensive positioning better, and remove a few errors from his game, if he does that, he will be one of the better centres out there. Lee, with Jmoz like defence? that would really be something.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like Lee, but, I do like Lee more in NSW Cup for the moment.

There are a few things awesome about his game, but there are a few things that just plain suck too. He needs to learn defensive positioning better, and remove a few errors from his game, if he does that, he will be one of the better centres out there. Lee, with Jmoz like defence? that would really be something.
One thing promising is that Des is really good at teaching players to defend. Our defence has been good since he came as coach (our attack on the other side is something to be desired). I remember Barba having shitload of issues and they were fixed pretty quickly... I'm optimistic with Brenko as we do need his attacking skills in our side.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most people on Montoya. I agree with most people on Holland. However, i disagree with most people on the future of Chase. Chase is off contract end of this year and i believe we are only seeing him in the side because the club feels obliged to give him another run before he is not re-signed. No doubt Chase is a solid player but i definitely do not rank him higher than Brenko and Richie. This is completely my subjective opinion. I think Brenko has been good for the team especially considering he is our only attacking spark (he needs to be back asap once he gets his defensive confidence back). Richie Kennar is another story. I have no feathers left in my mouth- the amount of times i have said this guy is a machine. He is a major contrast to Chase and i can't wait to see him. He is a dog until 2018 so surely we will see him soon. Hold my word for it he is an inu/ Kevin Naiqama/ RTS type of player.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jmoz was a liability in D when he first come to us. Just ask Maddog McDougall.

Status
Not open for further replies.