What is the best home security system.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wanting to buy a decent security system. So what are your recommendations. And how many cameras do you suggest.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't put any camera in a location you wouldn't want people seeing (bedroom for example)

It's unlikely that anyone will see it but cameras can be hacked.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also make sure you check who owns the product before you buy it. For example, Wyze is owned by a US company and Ring is owned by Amazon. Both are fairly good on trust, but Ring does have some tricky settings you need to disable to stop Amazon from sharing data (they don't share footage, but can give people access to your wifi)

Avoid any CCTV owned by a Chinese company. Most Chinese companies are part owned by the Chinese government, and the ones that aren't still have to submit data to the Chinese government if requested under Chinese law.

This is why Chinese owned brands are banned from Australian and US government sites.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Couldnt really advise on the amount of cameras because everyones property is different.
I can only speak for myself, my comments may not be applicable to you.
If people want to break into your home they will. Thats why I wouldnt have excess cameras inside unless they are pointing at entry points and you want evidence. If someone leaves your house with your stuff, its gone anyway. They are usually in and out before anything can be done about it.
You want to deter thieves from breaking in, triggered lighting being 1 example. Camera signage another. Closed curtains so they cant see in. Block/curtain/blinds to windows in sheds/garages etc so they cant see your stuff. Lock side gates, it probably wont deter them but make their movements harder. Think like a thief.
Mount cameras where they arent easily accessed but can be seen by theives if possible outside.
Assume the worst, never leave a garage door up unattended etc, not for 2 minutes.
Often thieves enter the home during the day knowing your there, cameras arent going to help in that situation. Infact I dont think cameras deter at all.
Just a couple of considerations for you.
Id actually go into a shop or ring a few places to get quotes. Not Bunnings etc but speak to people that install systems for a living.

On the tech side of things I have no idea and will leave that to other that do.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven't ever had anyone break into my home but then again iv always had a rottie.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fake it.

Fake cameras.
Stickers warning you have a security system.
Sign on your gate saying you have a dangerous guard dog.
Maybe a shooters and fishers party sticker on your car...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The reason I suggest cloud based systems like Wyze and Ring is that when they detect a person, they send a notification to your phone. You can then click the notification and it'll open the live camera feed. Then you have two options. You can either call the police immediately, or press the microphone button on your app and tell the intruder that police are on their way.

The cameras have a speaker built into them. Plus the footage is uploaded to the cloud so if they steal your camera then you have footage of them stealing your camera.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camera are ok, I have them but from my experience, thieves don't care..

You need to make it physically difficult ... Get crimsafe or bars on windows and doors. Not impossible to get in but a pain in the arse.. noisy and time consuming.

Before you say but what about a fire... They can be installed in hinges that push open from inside. I have a few on hinges.

Weapons around the place as well, I have weapons placed in areas I know where they are, so someone comes near my place... Just reminded me my tazor needs charging.

Yes I also have a very angry Pitbull Terrier, he locks his jaw on you and you ain't going nowhere. I fight him all the time. They are quick and he cannonballs straight into you, dives at your face

someone comes on my premises , someone threatens my family, well let's just say it was self defence.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The reason I suggest cloud based systems like Wyze and Ring is that when they detect a person, they send a notification to your phone. You can then click the notification and it'll open the live camera feed. Then you have two options. You can either call the police immediately, or press the microphone button on your app and tell the intruder that police are on their way.

The cameras have a speaker built into them. Plus the footage is uploaded to the cloud so if they steal your camera then you have footage of them stealing your camera.
I have Arlo Ultras.. do all of the above plus auto track and zoom. The resolution is 4K, has built in alarms as well as lights that come on in low light when they detect someone; which a. makes people instinctively look up at the light so you capture their face, and b. makes them realise they are being recorded so run off pretty quick. Has AI as well so can tell if it’s a person, car or animal. This is really handy as when the neighbourhood cat gets detected it will still record but won’t notify me and wake me up in the middle of the night.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have Arlo Ultras.. do all of the above plus auto track and zoom. The resolution is 4K, has built in alarms as well as lights that come on in low light when they detect someone; which a. makes people instinctively look up at the light so you capture their face, and b. makes them realise they are being recorded so run off pretty quick. Has AI as well so can tell if it’s a person, car or animal. This is really handy as when the neighbourhood cat gets detected it will still record but won’t notify me and wake me up in the middle of the night.
Yep. Forgot about Arlo. They're another good one.

Oddly enough I get the occasional job where a company will ask me to install Arlo cameras, even though they're a non-commercial camera. They're decent quality for a home camera.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A German shepherd, good lighting and a spear gun.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I've got Crimsafe doors - no one can get through them. The more pressure that's applied on them the harder the mesh locks onto the hooks inside. Also got blockout shutters on all windows downstairs and windows upstairs that have a ledge. The only windows that don't have them have a very ugly incline.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I've got Crimsafe doors - no one can get through them. The more pressure that's applied on them the harder the mesh locks onto the hooks inside. Also got blockout shutters on all windows downstairs and windows upstairs that have a ledge. The only windows that don't have them have a very ugly incline.
You can get through them, it just takes more time and effort. That random on the street that's trying to break in would just move onto the next house.