What is more important for players nowdays, Money or playing with a successfull club.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Both linked tbh.

You only get a lot of money after being part of a very successful team unless you're a natural born athlete and even then your value diminishes quickly if your team doesn't perform.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Football is a job not just a passion. You can’t feed your family with passion.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think both.

I’ll put it this way, say Brandon Smith was offered 1M per season to play with the Titans or Dolphins, he probably takes 900K to play with the Chooks because it’s a more successful club.

But if the Chooks offer was 600-700k, he’s taking the money at Titans/Dolphins.

Probably not the best example to use since Uncle Nick seems to find a way to pay these guys off the books anyway.

It’s obvious the Bulldogs are building towards something good and that is helping our recruitment.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One way to even up the comp might be to realocate the junior areas as fairly as possible, giving each club a fair share of the junior nursery area.
Under this system juniors who come through the clubs system are that club's "property" if they want to play for another club then the club of their choice would have to fairly compensate the club who developed them.
I realise it would not be easy to re allocate the nursery areas in Sydney, but it could be done by giving some or each club a share of the NSW or QLD Country areas.
One down side is that apart from (Politis) of course, is that the NRL does not appear to be overly concerned with Junior development, and some clubs are to cash strapped to be able to contribute to the development of juniors in their allocated area.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most kids or teenagers playing footy doing because they love it and have no regards to money, but i think at a elite level most do it for money and self accomplishment/ego
Very true, however I believe that when the hard grind of NRL football kicks in, Money and success (self or club) will over ride the love of the game, for most.