What is life like for first grade players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a little out there but anyway,

For the rest of us in the rat race we work at least 40 hours per week, go home to our families, try to pay all the bills & all the rest of it.

What do first grade players do in their working week?

Do they do something like the following:

Train in the gym - 10 hours?
RL skills training - 20 hours?
Cardio workouts - 10 hours?
Study the team they are playing next - 2 hours?
Do any academic studies?
Charity work?
1 on 1 with the coach?
1 on 1 with adjoining players - if your the half back how much time do you spend with the 5/8th?
Physio, massage?
Media and club work?
Meet their own managers?
Count their money?

My question is do they 40 hours a week like the rest of us?

I assume that some of you where former first graders (or still are) or professional sports people.

I am not a professional sports man I request your opinion and insight.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This interests me also.

I would love to read a weekly diary of a player.

I remember reading Jarrad Haynes one close to the 2009 grand final, was an interesting read.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A story from the weekend regarding Casey Stoner the current Moto GP World Champion:

I found it surprising when Casey Stoner announced his retirement from Moto GP racing at the end of the season.

Here is a guy that went to Europe at age 14 to start his motorcycle career. He is now 26 years of age, the second highest paid Australian sports person and at his peak in his sport and is the current World Champion.

He stated that he was sick of the current rules that constantly change, business arrangements within the sport & has most importantly lost his desire to keep racing. He seems pretty disgruntled as well.

Most people find it hard to comprehend that he is retiring but Daryl Beattie (current TV presenter and former World Champion in the same sport) stated that he fully understood Casey's decision to retire.

Daryl stated "After retiring from the sport, I could not ride another motorcycle for at least 10 years". Did Daryl despise the sport (or business now) due to his weekly commitments as well?

Do our former first grade players fit here somewhere? Do their weekly commitments take a toll on them as well to this extent or are they easy street playing a game they love?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats if Michael Lett IS retiring. Everyone seems to be guessing at the moment.

I would ask him if I could.

Maybe Dessies job as coach is to put some fire in their bellies! Then again if the passion is not there, then what is the point?

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sports stars have it way better than your average person. Way way better... And NRL players that say they play too many games a year and whinge like Willie Mason once did are soft and have no idea.
They train hard- other people pay money to train out of work hours...
And the money they get is amazingly much more than your average Joe. A couple hundred thousand to keep fit and play a sport you love? priceless... im not saying its easy, but its way better than your norm.

I once remembered Michael Clarke saying how tough it was standing out in the heat batting during a test match and he made me sick.
Dont construction workers stay in the sun? Rangers? Delivery drivers? Police Officers? Civil workers stay in the sun....
They dont get 2mill a year like Clarkey gets, but Clarkey has the hide to complain.....
Being a Sportsperson is a dream job... similar to a rockstar and actor.. you have to perform...

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I once remembered Michael Clarke saying how tough it was standing out in the heat batting during a test match and he made me sick.
Dont construction workers stay in the sun? Rangers? Delivery drivers? Police Officers? Civil workers stay in the sun....
They dont get 2mill a year like Clarkey gets, but Clarkey has the hide to complain.....
Being a Sportsperson is a dream job... similar to a rockstar and actor.. you have to perform...
Your average Joe out on a construction site doesn't have the eyes of a nation on him whenever he's working...

Status
Not open for further replies.