What has to change to turn this club around?

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact remains that Barret has not improved the team at all since he started. If anything we are worse with better players.

Gould needs to be as ruthless as he was with Cleary and Hook.

He keeps percisting with Penriths formation in attack, however we don't have the half back to pull it off. Anyone can see he needed to be more pragmatic and play half a side with this roster, at least to build some confidence.
If you think winning games is the only marker for success. Well I am glad your not working at the club.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so annoyed to see our right defence not communicating or not holding their formation. This is a hereditary structual problem and no matter who defends there, the same result occurs.
Almost every try conceded there, has the centre and winger inside of our hb and backrower.
i.e first try panthers last week, saw Flanagan and Jackson in the corner trying to stop the winger from scoring. Burns belately attempted to recover. Where on earth was Naden?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the dead wood...

Baz
JuNK
JJ
Naden
Burns
Waddles
Stinkson
Wakeham

Did I forget any dud?
I'll probably be a bit easier on Naden and Burns since they've only just started. I think the only NRL coaches that would make a big difference with our roster would be Bellamy and Robinson and they wouldn't come over. If I was on the board I would consider the Walker brothers in Qld because they are clearly effective, different and not the garden variety block play coaches. They are more along the lines of our glorious Entertainers of the late 70's and early 80's where they focus on ball movement and giving the ball to team mates in a better position. They let the players play like natural footballers instead of remembering pre mediated block plays. It explains why Sam Waker is so good at such an early age.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might sit the next game out, see what they come up with while I beat back some of this controversy and gutless bullshit, time to wrap it up.
Yeah get the wingers to stay outside their opposites and lateral shift with the centres properly.
Still a good roster just gotta keep banging away each week, iron out the errors, maintain intensity and inspire.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sitting the next game out. Not going to see us get rorted by the officials.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm so annoyed to see our right defence not communicating or not holding their formation. This is a hereditary structual problem and no matter who defends there, the same result occurs.
Almost every try conceded there, has the centre and winger inside of our hb and backrower.
i.e first try panthers last week, saw Flanagan and Jackson in the corner trying to stop the winger from scoring. Burns belately attempted to recover. Where on earth was Naden?
Our middles and effort around the ruck are why it's so much of an issue, Dufty's non-existent defensive contributions are another. He can't organise shit and is never across in cover. Our backs are almost always on the back foot because of this and often left to make all or nothing plays. Most of them still aren't the greatest defenders but it's so much worse because of all this.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The back 5 are playing terribly. They do not give any support to each other.
However, a part of that problem is the forwards are not setting any platform to work off.
We really only have one prop, Vaughn. Thats not good enough. The other "props" are reserve grade quality.
They are so pathetic, that Thompson (who is our best forward) is forced to play in his wrong position.
The recruitment so far, is pretty abysmal. 90% of them are barely reserve grade quality and probably will never see the NRL.

Reactions: ATT

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly, I couldn't give a damn. I've had too many disappointments, season after season.

Every year we're promised improvement, and every year we see the same shit over and over again. It's not even an hour since the game ended, and I can't even get angry any more. It's like stepping in dog shit - upsetting at the time, but quickly forgotten once it is scraped off.

I just can't find the enthusiasm to wear the colours or even tell people which team I follow. They are beyond supporting, and beyond saving.
The best that could happen would be to kick them out of the NRL, and give the fans back their lives.

They will not win another game this season.

Burton and Ado Carr will be seeking an out from their contracts before the year is out. They are too good to deserve the Bulldogs.
Hang in there Chris. Better days will come around.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So far it's been 5-7 years of rubbish football and "rebuilding". So 10 years from now will make it 17 years. Can't wait (If I'm still alive).
The business plan Gus has put in motion ( I am assuming they have got short term, medium term and long term goals) will take 2 tom4 years to put into place.
The recruitment so far has been ok - but it needs to be sustainable. Paying overs will be a disaster to get a short term fix. 2023 we see improvement. But I feel 2024 is when the Dogs will be challenging for top 6.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you think winning games is the only marker for success. Well I am glad your not working at the club.
I am pretty sure I have not mentioned anything about winning games.
I simply mentioned improvment.

In your mind what are the makers for improvement that needs to be demonstrated?

If we are not improving then what is the point of keeping the coach?

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the system works though so keep building a squad that can play to that system so we start winning and winning the big games.
The system is not working with this team, how may 7's have we gone through this season?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The system is not working with this team, how may 7's have we gone through this season?
We are only in round 6 plenty of games to go relax.

the system does work at Penrith so it can work here with the right players.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The coach, the hooker and the washed up captain ruin any "system" put in place.

I just can't believe Gus is sitting on his hands about this.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We are only in round 6 plenty of games to go relax.

the system does work at Penrith so it can work here with the right players.
All due respect my bro but we aren't good enough to be Penriths arsehole.