What happened to Max King?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think without any other recognised props he is just not the player who will run 150+ meters a game.

He is the perfect prop off the bench. Have the starters lay the platform (was thommo and Vaughan last year) and he’d come on give us 40 mins off the bench where his line defence, offloads and his runs against tiring defenders ran riot. Difference is this year we have no Vaughan, no thompson, no Jackson. He is in a pack with lots of inexperienced players. Mahoneys defence is a step back from Marshall king. So yes he is much more ineffective in a team that has zero go forward and soft middle defence.

I mentioned it earlier for us to be at our best king should be our 17 meaning we have 4 middles better than him. And he comes on and gives us 35-40 hard mins in the middle with his decent offload and aggression. Asking too much to get him to start and tuck the ball under his arm to grind it down field. He isn’t that type of player.
I agree that king is more of an impact role playing prop. His form has fallen off a cliff, no second phase or post contact metres. Vaughan laid a platform and played a role in Kings strong season last year. Thommo got injured trying to find the platform and didn’t do shit. He hardly played and was ineffective when he did.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have seen people say TPJ is doing it on his own in our forward pack SMH. Preston is the only player on that list with NRL standard d stats. What a fucking disgrace.
TPJ along with the team was diabolical on the weekend. He played strange minutes though. TPJ has been our only middle to consistently run 100m plus. That is the definition of doing it alone in the middle. Preston by far has been our best forward and I reckon best player.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He hasent be playing well since his injury was brought back to earily he hasen't recovered.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
TPJ along with the team was diabolical on the weekend. He played strange minutes though. TPJ has been our only middle to consistently run 100m plus. That is the definition of doing it alone in the middle. Preston by far has been our best forward and I reckon best player.
I respect your opinion bro, but we have to agree to disagree on TPJ he has hung our rookies out to dry since he returned from his calf injury.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has no front row support. The kid would be stuffed

If we have 2 mil for next year we need to go and try and buy 2 x experienced props

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Okuntbur didn't make 46 tackles, putting your hand on the opposition players butt whilst your teammates do the actual tackles surely doesn't count, Okuntbur does a lot of 'touching' he has a frotteuristic disorder!
You tend to have 46 contacts when the opposition team runs directly at you for 80 minutes because you’re a fucking weak link

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was a gun til he got injured. Has been carrying the injuries with next to no support in the front row.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All of the above is a result of not having any middle forwards. I've been saying this for years.
As a result we have to improvise and it hasn't worked. Playing back rowers as props was necessary but it was a failure.
King is not a prop and never has been. Same with TPJ. Sutton is below average. There is none.
The backs are capable of better but depend on middles to create the platform.
The answer is obvious.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should included in miss tackles count when the defender is not in position to make a tackle, due lack of effort or lazy cover.
Okuntbur didn't make 46 tackles, putting your hand on the opposition players butt whilst your teammates do the actual tackles surely doesn't count, Okuntbur does a lot of 'touching' he has a frotteuristic disorder!

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel like the close loss to the rooster, and being ripped off mind you with the forward pass bs, broke the team a little. Realised top 8 was impossible after that and have lost interest. I mean I have as a supporter I’m looking ahead to next year. They need to get their head back in the game and avoid the spoon though.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s completely lost his offload. I actually haven’t seen him do it once this year.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I respect your opinion bro, but we have to agree to disagree on TPJ he has hung our rookies out to dry since he returned from his calf injury.
I respect yours too bro. We should offload him because we ain’t gunna get value for money for him. He has been our only go forward for most weeks though. Defensively he is a nightmare but most of our middles are.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 things with Max this season.
1. He is playing busted with injury
2. Rather than coming off the bench as our 3rd or 4th string prop that he was last year he is now the main man, and has generally been the only genuine prop available at times this year.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
2 things with Max this season.
1. He is playing busted with injury
2. Rather than coming off the bench as our 3rd or 4th string prop that he was last year he is now the main man, and has generally been the only genuine prop available at times this year.
On the plus side. If others can stand up next season, and he puts the work in over the offseason he can really be a leader going forward. It would be nice to actually have a forward rotation.