What happened to late 2022's free flowing style?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How on earth do you expect to play eyes up football with a limited halfback , ineffectual fullback and a stack of injuries .

Wake up to yourself !

I have seen in glimpses what the team is capable of and when you spend an off season working on your combinations and structures then not to have those players available due to injuries kind of makes it difficult for cohesion and getting results .

The only only positives are Flanagan has now failed under 3 coaches and his NRL playing days are over after his year .
This year is providing some players with NRL experience
We managed it last year with a roster that was just as bad as the injury hit roster we’re playing with now.

I’m sick of the injury excuse….at the end of the day we’re missing two wingers (albeit very good ones), Kikau (who has been terrible in the games he played this year) and Thompson (who we also missed for much of last year.)

Obviously that’s gonna affect us a bit, but we should be able to work with it. It’s no excuse for the absolute shit sandwich we’ve served up this year.

Apart from those guys we’re missing a bunch of interchangeable fringe first graders…..

We should be able to work with the side we are putting out at the moment.
The reality is Mahoney is killing the spontaneity of our attack and our defence has been woeful.

Injuries or not, we suck snd this team has gone backwards.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Who do you prefer?
You know who I prefer at hooker. In terms of coaching options, I’m not sure. I think Flanagan senior is a much better coach, but I really don’t like him or his ethics and he’s probably gone as a package deal with Flano Jnr, who isn’t the answer for us.

All I know is we took a massive gamble signing a completely unproven coach for 5 years and it looks to have backfired. The length of the deal bothers me more than anything. It allows Ciraldo to rest on his laurels.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You know who I prefer at hooker. In terms of coaching options, I’m not sure. I think Flanagan senior is a much better coach, but I really don’t like him or his ethics and he’s probably gone as a package deal with Flano Jnr, who isn’t the answer for us.

All I know is we took a massive gamble signing a completely unproven coach for 5 years and it looks to have backfired. The length of the deal bothers me more than anything. It allows Ciraldo to rest on his laurels.
When is a 5 year contract worth the paper it is written on?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reminds me of when we let Cook go, tbh.
Ute... JMK is gone mate. Accept it.
He wasn't playing this well with us last year.
He was one dimensional and had a terrible pass selecton. Couldn't bring our forwards on.
This year he has a much better squad to work with and WAYNE BENNETT. Be happy for him that he got away and is improving his game and no doubt enjoying it more as well.

It was never going to happen for him with us this year or any year. His career stagnated with us and has much improved with Phins.

We've moved on as well. Mahoney was great at Parra but has totally changed his game from the player he was at Parra and its very disappointing. He would be wondering what the hell curse is Canterbury.

Pls no more JMK over Mahoney talk. It's a waste. We've got Reed now in our jersey and JMK has enhanced his game with Wayne and probably never been happier on the footy field.

He would be thanking his lucky stars he didn't get an extension with us.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes we have an injury crisis I understand.
However, it seems we only decide to play footy after halftime when we are already down. Besides against Melbourne, we have been very one dimensional.

Tonight we only started offloading, getting early ball to our outside men when it was 30/14. Last year arguably in second half of the year we were the most exciting team to watch in the comp.

Very disappointed Ciraldo has so far stripped it back so much.
Burton is our only attacking threat. I feel sorry for him. He isn't a 7 and the other so called now 5/8 Flamingo does nothing with the ball.
Burto is getting paid a lot of money to lead and create for this team, I only feel sorry for our forwards who are injury riddled and busted up.
On our attack, Potter is our attacking coach, maybe ask him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ute... JMK is gone mate. Accept it.
He wasn't playing this well with us last year.
He was one dimensional and had a terrible pass selecton. Couldn't bring our forwards on.
This year he has a much better squad to work with and WAYNE BENNETT. Be happy for him that he got away and is improving his game and no doubt enjoying it more as well.

It was never going to happen for him with us this year or any year. His career stagnated with us and has much improved with Phins.

We've moved on as well. Mahoney was great at Parra but has totally changed his game from the player he was at Parra and its very disappointing. He would be wondering what the hell curse is Canterbury.

Pls no more JMK over Mahoney talk. It's a waste. We've got Reed now in our jersey and JMK has enhanced his game with Wayne and probably never been happier on the footy field.

He would be thanking his lucky stars he didn't get an extension with us.
No I won’t let it go, Wen….. because it’s indicative of the bad recruitment/ retention decisions that have been made by the club in recent years and have continued to be made under Gus (and now Ciraldo). As much as you may not like hearing it, I’m entitled to my opinion.

For years I was one of the more optimistic supporters on this forum and had to put up with what I felt was excessive criticism from the majority of posters on this forum because we were very obviously in a rebuild and Des had left the club in shambles. Now we are in a position to climb out of the hole, but seem to be digging ourselves deeper and people want to have a crack at me for being critical?

JMK was very good last year. Pretty much every commentator in the game noted his marked improvement once the Barrett shackles were removed…and he had still never had the benefit of a top NRL coach to mentor him into his new role. It was obvious he was going to develop into a very good player.

Even at Parra Reed was second tier at best. Good service and kicking game, but poor running game, has always had a habit of taking wrong options and has always tried to do too much himself. He had these flaws even when he was with a team of superstars. At first I was relieved about his signing, because at least he wasn’t Brandon Smith. I tried to be optimistic and excited about what people like Ciraldo, Reed etc would bring to the club, but I’m just not convinced we are moving in the right direction any more.

We basically went out and panic bought a hooker we saw as the finished product instead of showing faith in a player who always had the tools to be a much better player. I sort of suggested early on that JMZk was one we should be holding down, but I was shouted down, so I just let it go and tried to be optimistic about what was coming. No more.

We didn’t need to go out and buy players like Kikau and Crichton, and we didn’t need to let go of one of the two talented spine players we had. We needed to get a halfback and fullback and focus on solidifying our middle.

Our club used up be known for identifying talented players, investing in them and making them better. Now we buy established players and make them worse. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I’m losing passion for this club, which is why I find solace in taking the puss out of things. I’d rather have a laugh snd roll my eyes at the club’s stupidity than let myself get depressed about every loss when we make losing a habit,

Honestly, I just don’t think the passion is there with Gus any more. He only came to us because he couldn’t stay with the Warriors. As long as those running the club are taking the piss, I’ll do the same.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
When is a 5 year contract worth the paper it is written on?
But if we rip it up early, it’s only going to make our reputation worse. We have already gone through too many coaches and have seen two coaches out the door before their deals were up in recent years. If we keep doing it, it’s going to affect our ability to sign and retain players, because in the end they want to join clubs that aren’t a revolving door for coaches.

The optics of tearing up a contract are worse than letting a deal expire then going in a different direction. The former only fuels the perception the club doesn’t know what it’s doing. Honestly, if Ciraldo isn’t going to make any noticeable improvements, I’d have rather stuck with Potter as a caretaker until the right coach came along.

If we sack him early now, we’ll have players wanting out. I’m sure if it. Especially the ex Penrith guys….which is another reason I don’t think we should be buying too many players from them. Although if Crichton and Kikau walked it may not be the worst thing. Their money could be better invested in other positions.

I’m willing to give Ciraldo the benefit of the doubt a bit over injuries. But when I see bad recruitment decisions, chopping and changing of the team, no noticeable improvement in discipline (with the exception of Waddell) and our spine going backwards, it gives me Barrett vibes and scares me, tbh,

I think 5 years was nuts, and I said it at the time. He should have been signed for 2 years…3 maximum.

I’m not confident about the direction we are heading in, so Flanagun the critic and Flanagun the jester must stay lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
But if we rip it up early, it’s only going to make our reputation worse. We have already gone through too many coaches and have seen two coaches out the door before their deals were up in recent years. If we keep doing it, it’s going to affect our ability to sign and retain players, because in the end they want to join clubs that aren’t a revolving door for coaches.

The optics of tearing up a contract are worse than letting a deal expire then going in a different direction. The former only fuels the perception the club doesn’t know what it’s doing. Honestly, if Ciraldo isn’t going to make any noticeable improvements, I’d have rather stuck with Potter as a caretaker until the right coach came along.

If we sack him early now, we’ll have players wanting out. I’m sure if it. Especially the ex Penrith guys….which is another reason I don’t think we should be buying too many players from them. Although if Crichton and Kikau walked it may not be the worst thing. Their money could be better invested in other positions.

I’m willing to give Ciraldo the benefit of the doubt a bit over injuries. But when I see bad recruitment decisions, chopping and changing of the team, no noticeable improvement in discipline (with the exception of Waddell) and our spine going backwards, it gives me Barrett vibes and scares me, tbh,

I think 5 years was nuts, and I said it at the time. He should have been signed for 2 years…3 maximum.

I’m not confident about the direction we are heading in, so Flanagun the critic and Flanagun the jester must stay lol
Shouldn't even be talking about sacking IMO

Waaaaaay too early.

PS my post was more about how contracts are joke's these days more than sacking CC. He should have at least the same amount of time as the other duds had.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No I won’t let it go, Wen….. because it’s indicative of the bad recruitment/ retention decisions that have been made by the club in recent years and have continued to be made under Gus (and now Ciraldo). As much as you may not like hearing it, I’m entitled to my opinion.

For years I was one of the more optimistic supporters on this forum and had to put up with what I felt was excessive criticism from the majority of posters on this forum because we were very obviously in a rebuild and Des had left the club in shambles. Now we are in a position to climb out of the hole, but seem to be digging ourselves deeper and people want to have a crack at me for being critical?

JMK was very good last year. Pretty much every commentator in the game noted his marked improvement once the Barrett shackles were removed…and he had still never had the benefit of a top NRL coach to mentor him into his new role. It was obvious he was going to develop into a very good player.

Even at Parra Reed was second tier at best. Good service and kicking game, but poor running game, has always had a habit of taking wrong options and has always tried to do too much himself. He had these flaws even when he was with a team of superstars. At first I was relieved about his signing, because at least he wasn’t Brandon Smith. I tried to be optimistic and excited about what people like Ciraldo, Reed etc would bring to the club, but I’m just not convinced we are moving in the right direction any more.

We basically went out and panic bought a hooker we saw as the finished product instead of showing faith in a player who always had the tools to be a much better player. I sort of suggested early on that JMZk was one we should be holding down, but I was shouted down, so I just let it go and tried to be optimistic about what was coming. No more.

We didn’t need to go out and buy players like Kikau and Crichton, and we didn’t need to let go of one of the two talented spine players we had. We needed to get a halfback and fullback and focus on solidifying our middle.

Our club used up be known for identifying talented players, investing in them and making them better. Now we buy established players and make them worse. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I’m losing passion for this club, which is why I find solace in taking the puss out of things. I’d rather have a laugh snd roll my eyes at the club’s stupidity than let myself get depressed about every loss when we make losing a habit,

Honestly, I just don’t think the passion is there with Gus any more. He only came to us because he couldn’t stay with the Warriors. As long as those running the club are taking the piss, I’ll do the same.
Ute I'm not telling you not to gave your opinion.

My angle is ok you think JMK is the better 9 and we got a dud in Reed.

But we can't get JMK back and I reckon he is deliriously happier in that Phins team with the GOAT Coach/Man Manager/Footballling Wizard WAYNE BENNETT.

JMK be sayin' thanks man but things happen for a reason and I am far better off in QLD with Wayne.

Best thing happened to me in my entire football career.

I agree with a lot of your points. Some fans are in denial in the hope that things must improve. Trouble is this is going the same way the past few coaches has gone.

Tigers would be the only other club who stuffs around and takes so long to effect change. Even Warriors look more professional than us.

Its early days. We've had lots of injuries. We have a lot of excuses or reasons why.

We just have to have patience yet again this year as frustrating as the whole mess is (at present).

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Flanagun, you try and live in people’s heads rent free, that much is clear… I personally don’t buy into your garbage.

But instead of targeting certain players with your usual negative slant and retrospective views, why don’t you look into being progressive I.e. look past People like Eliott, Flanno and your new love child JMK.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
The free ball movement of last year basically stemmed from having no expectations and no fear of any repercussions from Potter, who was only the caretaker coach. We had absolutely nothing to play for except pride at that point and we chanced our arm. There was bugger all structure and it showed.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes we have an injury crisis I understand.
However, it seems we only decide to play footy after halftime when we are already down. Besides against Melbourne, we have been very one dimensional.

Tonight we only started offloading, getting early ball to our outside men when it was 30/14. Last year arguably in second half of the year we were the most exciting team to watch in the comp.

Very disappointed Ciraldo has so far stripped it back so much.
Burton is our only attacking threat. I feel sorry for him. He isn't a 7 and the other so called now 5/8 Flamingo does nothing with the ball.
Didn't u say Potter took over in round 2?

What happened mr drifter?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Injuries have happened to our attack. Of course losing our 2 outstanding wingers has had a lot to do with making it harder to score. Dont underestimate losing both JAC and Kiraz at the same time and its impact. Them back and Mahoney and Burton getting their act together would cause wins. Also getting back players like Kikau and Thompson would help even more.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Injuries have happened to our attack. Of course losing our 2 outstanding wingers has had a lot to do with making it harder to score. Dont underestimate losing both JAC and Kiraz at the same time and its impact. Them back and Mahoney and Burton getting their act together would cause wins. Also getting back players like Kikau and Thompson would help even more.
These injuries just prove that our depth is shit and needs fixing big time. Here we are in 2023, and we are still paying for the recruiting mistakes of past admins and leadership.

spaced_monkey

Waterboy
Reaction score
Free flow footy comes on back of momentum in forwards. Too many injuries to develop rhythm

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We managed it last year with a roster that was just as bad as the injury hit roster we’re playing with now.

I’m sick of the injury excuse….at the end of the day we’re missing two wingers (albeit very good ones), Kikau (who has been terrible in the games he played this year) and Thompson (who we also missed for much of last year.)

Obviously that’s gonna affect us a bit, but we should be able to work with it. It’s no excuse for the absolute shit sandwich we’ve served up this year.

Apart from those guys we’re missing a bunch of interchangeable fringe first graders…..

We should be able to work with the side we are putting out at the moment.
The reality is Mahoney is killing the spontaneity of our attack and our defence has been woeful.

Injuries or not, we suck snd this team has gone backwards.
Let them play football again. I think Potter is the man.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does he offer the same as Avo though? I heard the primary reason was talk in defence why they put Perham back there . We are conceding a lot more points per game than we were at the end of last year.
Perham certainly hasn't set the world on fire. How many points we're conceding, has more to do with how many players we have injured imo