News Weighed down by the responsibility’: Matty calls for Bulldogs’ Burton shake-up

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM is a useless as a fly screen on a submarine , if you think that the offloads and running straight was taught by flano you are living under a rock.
RFM had his chances here and was lazy, sideways running, hogging the ball, couldn’t bend the line.
So why all of a sudden did all that change on Saturday night?

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So why all of a sudden did all that change on Saturday night?
i reckon because change of environment, cameron ciraldo has to remember one thing, he doesn't have the smartest of players as penrith bar 3-4 that came from there to us. The defense system is so advanced that the players cannot mentally learn that at their current age/footy journey. It's something that needs to be ingrained form when they are younger and coming in our systems.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pride. Focus. Payback on Gus and CC? Little bit Flanno Snr.
I think it’s more he’s been tarred as a soft **** with the wrestle shit and weak over his mindframe. Statement to say I am not.

He had games he looked good for us years ago. Since then he’s been a flop we all hated his extension!

Sure by end of year we all laugh still.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
It's kind of hard for Burton to run too when our forwards aren't getting over the advantage line. Burton seems to be preoccupied with positioning himself for the 5th tackle kick. Maybe take those duties away from him and just try give him early ball.
Even if we reach the advantage line would be good.
When there is no variety around the ruck the first three tackles are wasted when park footballers can read who is receiving the ball
and get stacks on the mill. Hence slow play the ball. The 6, 7, and 9 made it very easy for Parra.
Put some uncertanity into the defence to get quick play the ball

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think it’s more he’s been tarred as a soft **** with the wrestle shit and weak over his mindframe. Statement to say I am not.

He had games he looked good for us years ago. Since then he’s been a flop we all hated his extension!

Sure by end of year we all laugh still.
Another player who has cruised around in our system and it appears no one got right up him and demanded better. We have cleared out several every year for a few years now but got some new ones to replace them with it seems.

It's why we needed a tough experienced coach.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't hit the panic button yet, throw everything at defence so its water tight then beg borrow and steal in attack, lift intensity, fuck the power trip off.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gold Coast is coached by des, and dolphins by Wayne Bennett. Both teams were flogged in round 1... that being said I can't defend some of CC's selections and decisions
I’m giving Ciro time, I think he’s not had the opportunity yet with a top 8 squad to see what he’s capable of, but, I will say this, it was absolute stupidity to leave fox on the field clearly compromised for 35mins when we had Kurt Mann on the bench.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
i reckon because change of environment, cameron ciraldo has to remember one thing, he doesn't have the smartest of players as penrith bar 3-4 that came from there to us. The defense system is so advanced that the players cannot mentally learn that at their current age/footy journey. It's something that needs to be ingrained form when they are younger and coming in our systems.
Plenty of green shoots of decent defense in the 2 trials and Round 1. The "system" itself isn't all that complex, it's actually pretty simple, move up as one, fast, in a straight line, no laggers or staggered line and stay in contact/communication with your surrounding players. What is the hard part is maintaining that consistently for the whole game, even when you are fatigued both physically and mentally.

Always a Bulldog

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree aswell Burton would be great at centres and critta on the other strong running game very strong use sexton and Hutchinson Tracey and full back xerri could play wing even but it seems burton likes wearing the number 6 jersey our halfback can put him into a good running break they just need a couple weeks to click parramatta are a big team let’s not forget they where the ones who brought down Penrith last year so I don’t think we played that bad we just needed the ball more out to our backs

TAFFE needs to go Tracey needs to play full
Back taller better under the high ball I can stress that enough

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I’ve been carrying on about on here for the last 2 years, stop trying to get us playing like the Panthers !

The Panthers can carry a light fast pack and defend it because they’ve been playing that way since they were baby’s .. this style should be getting taught in the lower grades only, where these kids are all eventually going to come through together with these skills ingrained in them ..

I want 1st grade playing like our Bulldogs of the past, big formidable aggressive players that hurt and run over the top of the opposition,

Are we dropping balls, making mistakes and getting hit by the ref because the way they’re being made to play is unnatural to them?

When you run the eye over our squad, Burton, Crichton, Preston, Kiraz, Kikau, JAC, Curran etc. we should have one of the best attacking teams in the comp, and Potter proved this, they were playing exciting attacking footy, it’s just their defence stunk.

I’m over this advanced defence structure, aside from 23, the dogs have generally defended well, go back to basics and give them back their attacking licence like potter did, and just tighten up the defence using structures our past teams have always used ..

This has been said before and I’m tending to agree, I think CC might be making the same mistakes Barrett made, and Gus agrees with it because he’d like to see us playing like the Panthers to, question is. I’m not sure they’re capable ..

I want us playing like the Bulldogs, it’s served us well for years ..

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Messing around with the attack by shifting players around is going to have to wait.
Burton & Hutchison are a big part of eliminating defensive leaks.
Priority #1.
Despite some defensive mistakes & Burton's dumb leg pull, it would be hard to argue the alternatives who ran around in NSW Cup are better defensively than Burton or Hutchison.
With a bit more luck, like in the same Round last year against Melbourne, the current Bulldogs squad can easily upset top sides.
But it will start with defense.
I think the Melbourne game last year was when the ball bounced into Kiraz's hands with the line open? Or was it Averillo?
These guys are all capable of making breaks and scoring tries. Including Burton at 5/8.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Plenty of green shoots of decent defense in the 2 trials and Round 1. The "system" itself isn't all that complex, it's actually pretty simple, move up as one, fast, in a straight line, no laggers or staggered line and stay in contact/communication with your surrounding players. What is the hard part is maintaining that consistently for the whole game, even when you are fatigued both physically and mentally.

Always a Bulldog
that’s exactly what I’m saying, it’s not hard however I feel Cameron is making it hard for them to understand. We get that every year we have new payers and need to gel. Honestly it’s pretty simple, if we don’t have the cattle in the middle, then play a game using side to side to benefit the crop of players we have currently.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
RFM is a useless as a fly screen on a submarine , if you think that the offloads and running straight was taught by flano you are living under a rock.
RFM had his chances here and was lazy, sideways running, hogging the ball, couldn’t bend the line.
RFM is only motivated to prove us wrong about how lazy he was - he was not motivated for a long time for whatever reasons. This motivation won't last long - I give him 6 weeks before he begins to fade out into NSW Cup.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need a running 5/8 right now. We need 2 halves who can unlock the outside backs and bring the edge backrowers into the game. We don't have that, but we've got to try something different soon. I wonder what Burto shows at training that he can't do on the field?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
We don't need a running 5/8 right now. We need 2 halves who can unlock the outside backs and bring the edge backrowers into the game. We don't have that, but we've got to try something different soon. I wonder what Burto shows at training that he can't do on the field?
No he needs to run first. Otherwise defences will just shift across and cover the person he is passing to. He needs to be a threat with the ball.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No he needs to run first. Otherwise defences will just shift across and cover the person he is passing to. He needs to be a threat with the ball.
He can run at centre. Yes we need halves who can run and create doubt, but if they can't organise at all, it's pointless having them there.

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He can run at centre. Yes we need halves who can run and create doubt, but if they can't organise at all, it's pointless having them there.
5/8 needs to create you only have to look at our all time best! Terry lamb. He passed backed up then scored. 5/8 needs to create.
FFS balance the team it’s completely unbalanced!!!!

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree totally makes sense.
We need 2 creative half’s, ffs Gus and cc read this please.