We won with 16 men and inconsistent 5th tackle options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I find it interesting that when we decide to pull our fingers out, we can push top teams to the edge and get the better of them.

We did this without allowing the Dragons to score any tries. That penalty that gifted them 2 points was nonsense! Yet again we witnessed a 'running off the ball' penalty that left the commentators shocked about a precedent being created, yet again at the Dogs' expense.

So we did not use Holland at all?! Did the Dragons use all their interchanges with all 17? That would be giving them practically a 6% advantage in energy!

Do you think Des has full confidence in our fitness and stamina, and is trying to toughen us up for some quality resilience when it counts later in the season?

If only our 5th tackle option was more consistent, we would beat most sides most of the time!

I hope Des is asked about why our 5th tackle performance has been incredibly poor for years.

I think the formula is ROCK SOLID DEFENCE + 5TH TACKLE = TOP 4, regardless of how much else needs improving, at least it would have time to improve.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des has improved the defensive structures since he arrived. Attack has been in decline but then again our spine has been average for a long time.

We can compete but the lack of game management will always come back and bite us. FORAN in asap

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Just heard in the presser that Des' excuse for poor 5th tackle options that now across the entire competition kick pressure is becoming a big deal for all teams. He conceded that we have to work on ours, but he seems more interested in excusing our poor performance. He and Graham seem to hold everyone in contempt for challenging their attitude and competence - as if the scoreline does do the loudest talking. Not once did I hear Des or Graham say the fans deserve better and we need to show pride in our jersey at all time. Their attitude needs to be addressed by the board as far as I am concerned.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It said that on the field today. The players could have simply folded under intense media pressure and faced a blowout today but that is NOT the Bulldogs way. In times of adversary the Dogs always lift. However will that adversary be enough to lift us for coming games. Was this the win we needed to get back on track, or a ripple in what could be an ordinary season?

Time will tell, but I think the secret lies in consistency in performances and the squad, and relaxing the structures to let players play what is in front of them.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two things

1. We are very fit (as a unit) this season

2. Foran would have iced that game in 40 mins behind that much ball and good field position

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Two things

2. Foran would have iced that game in 40 mins behind that much ball and good field position
You kiwi boys bring Foran up in almost every thread haha

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You kiwi boys bring Foran up in almost every thread haha
He's right man. 100%. Some of these options they're taking are stupid. Kick on the full to Dugan, 30m kick out from goal line that still lands in goal. Cmon fucking stop that shit. Pretty sure we burnt a few 7 tackle sets.

It's shit but all I care about is 2018.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's right man. 100%. Some of these options they're taking are stupid. Kick on the full to Dugan, 30m kick out from goal line that still lands in goal. Cmon fucking stop that shit. Pretty sure we burnt a few 7 tackle sets.

It's shit but all I care about is 2018.
People are putting way too much expectation on Foran.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think this season is one of those that has happened to many clubs over the years.

You write one off when the club is making changes to the roster.

The big losses to Manly & Penrith seem to correlate with speculation about player movements / contracts / Des security of tenure.

It would be inane to think that the players exist in a vacum. Uncertainty & speculation is not good for sporting teams.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Two things

I agree. We are miles ahead of last year fitness wise. Cant wait for foran next year.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously great to finally win a game but as i have thought all year, StG are nothing and today were out enthused by a team who have been woeful for a month at least, who have been out enthused most every other week.

Cummins and Badger did their best to yet again include some 'odd' and 'rarely used' rules on Canterbury, i wonder if we will see those rules used again all season...

Hasler survives another week, nothing much else to say really.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just heard in the presser that Des' excuse for poor 5th tackle options that now across the entire competition kick pressure is becoming a big deal for all teams. He conceded that we have to work on ours, but he seems more interested in excusing our poor performance. He and Graham seem to hold everyone in contempt for challenging their attitude and competence - as if the scoreline does do the loudest talking. Not once did I hear Des or Graham say the fans deserve better and we need to show pride in our jersey at all time. Their attitude needs to be addressed by the board as far as I am concerned.
It's them against the world attitude... Should be able to make the 8, no excuses with this type of thought process! I hope they can keep proving people wrong!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Two things

Interesting thing is we seemed more settled. Frawley back to the left and the morris boys got more ball. Mbye on the right did sweet F A. Now next year we have 3 guys who prefer the left. Foran will get it so mbye or frawley have to settle but cant handle the right.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm happy with the win as long as it doesn't start to paper the cracks.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was quite happy to see Morris kiss the bulldogs badge... I think that shows plenty of pride in the jersey especially since his dad is a dragons legend
Agree, Morris is carving out his own legacy with the Bulldogs, hopefully we can win the boys a Premiership, both great servants of Rugby League!

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm happy with the win as long as it doesn't start to paper the cracks.
If we turn up with the right attitude and hunger week-in-week-out that is all we can ask for.

It's unrealistic to win Premierships every year but they need to believe and play like they can.

We won a typical Bulldogs bounce back factor game but that's the sort of mindset that grinds our gears, the old "siege mentality".

With Reynolds coming in that should add another spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.