We want them back': Georgallis and Bulldogs players push for duo's return

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
'We want them back': Georgallis and Bulldogs players push for duo's return

Caretaker Canterbury coach Steve Georgallis has told the club's board Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor should be welcomed back to Belmore after an NRL appeals committee overturned their deregistrations.

Georgallis, who took over when Dean Pay and the club parted ways this week, sought opinion from senior Bulldogs players, who have endorsed the pair's return after the Port Macquarie schoolgirl scandal.

Bulldogs powerbrokers will meet with the players and their representatives on Friday to discuss whether they want to return to the NRL cellar dwellers this season.

Harawira-Naera has been subject to intense interest from the Raiders, Dragons and Warriors, and will be available to return to the field as soon as next weekend after having his deregistration amended to a 10-game ban and $15,000 fine.

Okunbor will miss 14 games and accept a $22,500 fine after having consensual sex with a schoolgirl he met on a community visit before the club's final pre-season trial on the mid-north coast.

Neither player was subject to a criminal investigation.

Asked whether the pair would return to the Bulldogs, Georgallis said: "We've talked about it as a playing group. I asked the players what they thought and they said, 'yes, we want them back'.

"And they asked me what I thought and I said, 'yes, I want them back'. I referred that to the board.

"It would be great if they can sort out [on Friday] - if they have any issues with the club - and we can get them back as quick as possible."

The Bulldogs will have to back pay the contracts of the pair to April 1, when they had their deals torn up.

The scandal cost the Bulldogs a chance to sign a $2 million deal with restaurant chain Rashays, which was on the verge of being announced as the club's major sponsor before round one.

The club is still to confirm a primary backer at the halfway point of the coronavirus-interrupted season.

Georgallis is no stranger to interim roles having taken over from Matthew Elliott at the Panthers in 2011 before the club appointed Ivan Cleary as a permanent successor for the following year.

Penrith assistant Trent Barrett remains a firm favourite to take over at Belmore next season, but Georgallis won't give up on the chance to one day be an NRL head coach.

"Those 11 games [at Penrith] I really enjoyed and the feeling of being at the top of your game," Georgallis said. "I feel the circumstances for me to take the interim coaching job here are not ideal with Dean going.

"Obviously Dean's not going to be the first coach to be under pressure or resign, it's going to happen in the future.

"If you said to me, 'would you like to take over a struggling club?' Yes, of course I would with the opportunity to coach first grade. It doesn't come up very often."

The Bulldogs are two wins adrift of their nearest rival at the bottom of the ladder, but can bridge that gap against the Dragons in Wollongong on Saturday.

St George Illawarra are the only team to have lost to Canterbury this season.

Asked about his message to the group this week, Georgallis said: "I'll be honest, we're coming 16th, we're last on the table so let's get back to enjoying our football. Just bring that little bit of fun back into the game."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...rs-push-for-duo-s-return-20200717-p55d0e.html

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like his approach, and the last paragraph really makes a lot of sense. Whilst some have criticised him in another thread for saying, "lets have some fun", what the fuck else have they got to play for?????

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like his approach, and the last paragraph really makes a lot of sense. Whilst some have criticised him in another thread for saying, "lets have some fun", what the fuck else have they got to play for?????
It may be the only real option, it is highly likely that a significant contributive factor of the poor performance over the last month or so has been due to the stress of uncertainty surrounding Pay. There was no way Pay could tell them to relax and enjoy, he needed a win or two to keep his slim coaching hopes alive. Hence he got to the point where the only real solution he could provide to help the team was for him to fall on his own sword, which he did, no credit lies with the board for his removal.

Hopefully this does see a lift in performance, although I won't be too surprised if it isn't an 80 minute lift.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It may be the only real option, it is highly likely that a significant contributive factor of the poor performance over the last month or so has been due to the stress of uncertainty surrounding Pay. There was no way Pay could tell them to relax and enjoy, he needed a win or two to keep his slim coaching hopes alive. Hence he got to the point where the only real solution he could provide to help the team was for him to fall on his own sword, which he did, no credit lies with the board for his removal.

Hopefully this does see a lift in performance, although I won't be too surprised if it isn't an 80 minute lift.
I have a lot of respect for Pay, and i hated reading the shit people said about him. He did the best he could with an average team in a shit situation. He also madethe right choice to walk away, as he was clearly not able to get the best from the group.
I think it was a very decent gesture by the board to pay him out in full as well! A point many will ignore.
As it is now, Georgalis has nothing to lose, and the team need to just enjoy what they do. Im sure some wins will also follow.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pride!!
Fans!!!
The MIGHTY BULLDOGS COLOURS AND THOSE THAT PLAYED BEFORE THEM!!!!