We need to offload players

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You ever heard of it actually happening that a club would do a deal for a player that involved having to take a 2nd player you didnt need as well?

TPJ, not sure whats doing there. He goes good when he tries, which has been most matches, but i dunno, he doesnt look happy for some reason. Maybe hes homesick already lol.

Waddell is over criticised here imo. Hes not that terrible and hes not on big money. Not saying we couldnt use more forwards, particularly if TPJ goes back to Brisbane or something.

Josh Jackson is at the twilight of his career, but still has something to offer imo, but needs less minutes and responsibility.

Matterson is 1 head knock from retirement after spending large amounts of last season and part of this season out due to head knocks. He goes ok but there are plenty of decent forwards around.

Hetherington is actually a good player if we can remove his discipline issues. We have a few of those in the side (TPJ, Thompson before this year)

Dufty does my head in. At times you can see he has some very good skills, and hes plenty quick, but hes awol compared to the top fullbacks. I would love someone with Duftys skills and speed, who was more consistant.

Thompson, he puts in but i think we can do better with his money
Waddell offers nothing and deserves the criticism he gets. Tbh we're beyond that and it's a disgrace he's picked week in and out. Massive reason why we're in this massive hole. Too many players that offer nothing to this team.

Matterson is obviously the best transfer target available for us for what we need and what's actually "available". We're crying out for a quality ball playing lock. This head knock thing is nonsense. Players are protected more than ever right now. Same with Keary if he became available.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sure. But remember no team has 30 (or even 17) guns. Granted Penrith aren’t far off. I think a better coach could lift some of our players - not necessarily to be stars, but going better than they are right now - where every player is going backwards. The problem is who is that person (not Flanagan for mine). But when that person is sorted it’s time to lob the grenade into the guts, not dance around the edges (pardon the pun).
If Flanagan isn't an option I honestly think there's no one else worth pursing but we also can't stick with Baz any longer.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Dufty OUT - Walsh in (blank cheque) 4 year deal

Naden OUT - Cobbo (blank Cheque) 4 year deal

Burtons partner - Ben hunt, Mitch mosses, cheery evans, Jerome Luai.. I could go on an, it’s better than what we have, and they are more established than what we are throwing in.. and all Of the above would give some direction with attack. Especially to give the burton an fox combo time and to gel and be very FUCKING DANGEROUS. !!!

a lot will disagree with names mentioned for 7, but got to look at the bigger picture. We lack a half with options and decision making. But all of the above would see us in good stead.
Cobbo is a fullback. Watched heaps of Wynumn manly games last year. He is a gun and will be a better fullback than Walsh.

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think of more concern is that the high profile recruits of the last 18 months might move on as soon as their time is up. I wouldn’t want to be around this shit show.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If Flanagan isn't an option I honestly think there's no one else worth pursing but we also can't stick with Baz any longer.
Yes and that’s the dilemma, no obvious choices unless something comes out of left field like Hasler - few saw that coming. But JK got his man in Gus so maybe the club can get a quality coach if the stars align. I agree Barrett’s time is up - we’re going backwards.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson needs to retire or go super league. If he stays next year, it is only for the money. He is two years passed his best.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
I think we should offload the whole lot, field our reserve grade team in the meantime and recruit a whole new first grade team from scratch

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didn't think Meaney was useless. But it is a combination of both player and coach.
In the short term it is easier to change the coach and that needs to happen asap. I think effort and results will improve immediately.

Apart from Thompson, I’d be reticent to move too many players on (or re-sign players) until we have better coaching systems in place, to be better able to assess the current group.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Club really has to bring in the bulldozer and play the long game. Fixing our junior production line is actually our major priority. 2nd priority is a proven coach. No more "scotty from marketing" dna bullshit or he's a fucking great assistant coach. 3rd is we cannot just "knee jerk" buy players anymore because a coach wants instant results. I said this 4 years ago but purchase the best current juniors , develop our own juniors and then, when we have a team of young guns like the cows have currently, start filling the gaps with what we actually need versus the ludicrous purchases of recent years. The fucking sad thing is we have wasted 4 years with inept ill considered plans. I would also say that boards have to roll if the bullshit continues.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ can be very useful under the right coach, I would hang onto him.

Vaughan was the only forward to make +100m and does this consistently, he should be kept.

Agree on most of the others that need to be offloaded.
Spot on. Some people on TK have this fantasy that we can drop all players at will. TPJ and Vaughan are not the problem, they've made plenty of yards in the games that I've seen and in TPJ's case it takes at least 2 players to stop him and yet his team mates are too lazy to run off him when he's looking to offload. Our problems is the shite coaching, shite tactics, low footy IQ, shite 7 and 9, shite passing and formations and the slow, predictable block play shite that's been going on for years before Baz arrived and yet still persists.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty OUT - Walsh in (blank cheque) 4 year deal

Naden OUT - Cobbo (blank Cheque) 4 year deal

Burtons partner - Ben hunt, Mitch mosses, cheery evans, Jerome Luai.. I could go on an, it’s better than what we have, and they are more established than what we are throwing in.. and all Of the above would give some direction with attack. Especially to give the burton an fox combo time and to gel and be very FUCKING DANGEROUS. !!!

a lot will disagree with names mentioned for 7, but got to look at the bigger picture. We lack a half with options and decision making. But all of the above would see us in good stead.
The only great HB that will make a difference to our current team are Cleary, DCE and Keary and none are available. The other 7's in the comp coming off contract will not make a difference, neither will other HB such as Moses, Townsend etc.
I don't care what number he wears but it's time to make Burton the main playmaker of our team just like Murray did with Thurston at Nth Qld. Thurston was a part time 6 as the Dogs in 04 before he went up north. Murray had the insight to make Thurston the HB and build everything around him. Thurston touched the ball on every tackle and was allowed to play footy.
Burton has the biggest boot in the comp and it's stupid to just give him the ball on the last for him to kick the crap out of it and yet give the ball on the first five tackles to a dud 7 in Flange/Wake/Avo who do nothing in attack.