We need to build Union for the club

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should be targeting the NFL. I reckon even their 3rd division athletes would run straight through NRL players.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
WR would be wingers
RB would be 2nd row/centres
LB would be props/locks
PR would be FB

???

@Freakzilla what you think bro?
I don't think NFL players can play prop.

RB would be backrowers in attack but can they get enough cardio to play in defense also? You have to remember that offensive skilled players in the NFL have never had to tackle in their lives.

WR would be wingers & centres.

Punt returners would be fullbacks.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
It is interesting that no one here over the last few months has mentioned union targets in the usual ‘who should we sign’ dis and dat.

mayeb time to start thinking this way actually for 2025.

Tigers today signed Solomon Alaimalo from Tha chiefs yo.
Roosters signed Mark Nawaqanitawase last week.

saints are after Huge Trenton from the all blacks and will likely get him.

no one here has philosophised on who we should target. Just stupid arguing and defence of Gus.

The Union world is 17 times bigger than d league world and we have cash. And it’s a free hit on the cap so a no risk gamble.

So let’s figure out who we want?
I personally wanted Pierre Spies. That dawg was a beatst of a human. Ran the 100 in 10.70 (similar to JAC) amd was 110 kilos of muscle, cousi hVe been the best ever but he’s just retired.
Mayeb blake Schoupp or tate McDermott?

Or we do hectic ambitions and go 2 milllion for Owen Farrell.
Owen Farrell appears to me a Nathan cleary clone and has pedigree because of his dad (played nrl and for England)
The Bulldogs signed Mitchell Woods who was being chased by AFL and Union. He is supposed to be one of the best young prospects across all codes.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't think NFL players can play prop.

RB would be backrowers in attack but can they get enough cardio to play in defense also? You have to remember that offensive skilled players in the NFL have never had to tackle in their lives.

WR would be wingers & centres.

Punt returners would be fullbacks.
Parsons would be a beast in league don't you think?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Parsons would be a beast in league don't you think?
Maybe as a lock. Only thing is can he basically play 20 minutes straight? Also athletes of his calibre wont play in the NRL.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That could work but like @Freakzilla mentioned, can they tackle?

Attack wise they would go good I reckon.
Every single one of them would be absolutely **** fucked after the 3 6 agains in a row. Chuck them in the washing machine in the middle and watch them blow heart valves.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree. The scarcity of the player market shows that development isn't matching demand.

However the NRL seem not to see anything other than the bottom line. I don't think this will happen though I'd like it to. It'd even be good if the NRL just incentivise NRL clubs who support development in neglected areas by subsidised payments. But I don't even see that as something they'll pay for.
Kinda scary to think how many potential superstars were lost because they either didn’t hit the ground running or had a few unfortunate moments, debuted in a bad team like us or played under a coach who misused them etc

yes there is Massey but how many others could have hit the heights if they had a bit more time with access to elite coaching, training, science etc
Preston, Holland, Walker, DCE were all late bloomers that became stars, but I reckon there are halves that just needed a few extra years in the system

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Should be targeting the NFL. I reckon even their 3rd division athletes would run straight through NRL players.
If it were me,
I’d have someone looking for a black man that came from the hood or from nothing that has all the attributes physically to be an nrl star and invest some cash and years into him.
Someone who has to choose between making it in the NRL or going back to Baltimore and playing the pimp game, dog fighting rings etc

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda scary to think how many potential superstars were lost because they either didn’t hit the ground running or had a few unfortunate moments, debuted in a bad team like us or played under a coach who misused them etc

yes there is Massey but how many others could have hit the heights if they had a bit more time with access to elite coaching, training, science etc
Preston, Holland, Walker, DCE were all late bloomers that became stars, but I reckon there are halves that just needed a few extra years in the system
@Nasheed another one of the issues is the cut throat nature of Harold Matthews these days. There's only a small handful of players now who can slip through not playing HM or SG Ball and still make it to the top grade. Careers of players are decided on when 16 or 17. Players get signed to clubs when around 15. Clubs celebrate winning lower grade competitions. So players no longer continue with Rugby League when missing out when potentially a late developer.

Changing the competition to 10, 12 or 14 teams doesn't mean a thing. Just means more players are spat out of the system. We now need to be thankful the NRL isn't cutting back teams if they ever said we are cutting back tomorrow we are in the firing line due to consistent lack of performances and our area overlaps into so many other areas. We aren't the power house club we used to be. We are still very much Poker Machine funding model driven. The game has moved away from that.

When struggling clubs use the buzz words Pathways, Rebuild, Juniors, Development and all that jazz it's because the majority of fans don't really understand what it means and it's a buy time strategy used by clubs. Canterbury haven't had any issues with Juniors, Junior League, Junior Rep Teams and Players Progressing in the last 10 years and even last 80 years. Canterbury's recent issues been NRL coaching, structure and development. Possibly the balance of the squad EG Broncos lacked leadership they signed Reynolds, Capewell and Taupau. We lack leadership in the playing ranks. Ennis was a big loss. Graham was a big loss. We needed to hold them longer. Jackson was no good.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I cant see it ever happening because, RL players are only paid peanuts compared to NFl players.
You hit the colleges and the borderline NFL players.

The nrLOL could even kick in by helping teams recruit them.