We need Paul Roos

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ok a bit left field, but hear me out

I’ve long admired Paul Roos, firstly as a champion AFL player, then a premiership winning coach and more recently an expert commentator.

Last night watching AFL show The Couch (on Foxtel) after the sacking of Carlton (in last place) coach Brendon Bolton I was intrigued and impressed watching Roos give an opinion as to how Carlton can turn around their fortunes.

Our club has been in decline since midway through the Hasler years, and the rot isn’t just festering, it’s taken over. I’m hopeful that with the change of board and direction, some salary cap space in 2020/21, some new players and maybe a new coach success will come, but I’m not confident it’s that simple.

We need a complete structural and cultural overhaul. There’s no confidence or inspiration, a lack of leadership and accountability, void of fresh ideas, or a clear message of the path we’re taking. We’ve lost our identity and hashtags like proudtobeabulldog, bringingthemadness, dogsofwar and bulldogsdna mean nothing unless they’re reflected by actions.

Please click on this link and watch the video, and if any of you agree with me and have access to any power brokers at the club urge them to give Roosy a call!

https://performancebydesign.co/au/the-system/

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

I’ve long admired Paul Roos, firstly as a champion AFL player, then a premiership winning coach and more recently an expert commentator.

Last night watching AFL show The Couch (on Foxtel) after the sacking of Carlton (in last place) coach Brendon Bolton I was intrigued and impressed watching Roos give an opinion as to how Carlton can turn around their fortunes.

Our club has been in decline since midway through the Hasler years, and the rot isn’t just festering, it’s taken over. I’m hopeful that with the change of board and direction, some salary cap space in 2020/21, some new players and maybe a new coach success will come, but I’m not confident it’s that simple.

We need a complete structural and cultural overhaul. There’s no confidence or inspiration, a lack of leadership and accountability, void of fresh ideas, or a clear message of the path we’re taking. We’ve lost our identity and hashtags like proudtobeabulldog, bringingthemadness, dogsofwar and bulldogsdna mean nothing unless they’re reflected by actions.

Please click on this link and watch the video, and if any of you agree with me and have access to any power brokers at the club urge them to give Roosy a call!

Paul Roos isn't the answer, but I like your concept of a team mentor who can work along-side Dean Pay (such as a coach who has shown potential in lower grades) - an Assistant Coach perhaps. I think the Walker brothers are worth a shot. Hey... we can't possibly do any worse giving them a shot right?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Paul Roos isn't the answer, but I like your concept of a team mentor who can work along-side Dean Pay (such as a coach who has shown potential in lower grades) - an Assistant Coach perhaps. I think the Walker brothers are worth a shot. Hey... we can't possibly do any worse giving them a shot right?
Doing any worse is setting the bar so low. We can not afford to give the job to a new coach and hope it works out. The next coaching appointment has no margin for error and seeing some of the dumb things the Walkers have done in Q Cup this year it’s way too risky.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Games will be more entertaining hearing our fans yelling out Rooooooooooooooos..

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Doing any worse is setting the bar so low. We can not afford to give the job to a new coach and hope it works out. The next coaching appointment has no margin for error and seeing some of the dumb things the Walkers have done in Q Cup this year it’s way too risky.
All coaches have margin for error cause you never know how personality's will play out. I'd still like whoever replaces pay to have a decent track record of winning things. That's why I keep coming back to Demetriou to come here. He ticks all the right boxes. And if we can secure him for next season, that should allow him the one year grace to get everything in place for a real crack in 2021. Can't see how holding onto Pay for another season advances anything.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we are considering coaches from different sports il throw in Massimo Allegri ... won 5 domestic league and many cups in a row a total domination in Italy..

And the press conference will be far more entertaining..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

We are desperate and need help to change our fortunes.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All coaches have margin for error cause you never know how personality's will play out. I'd still like whoever replaces pay to have a decent track record of winning things. That's why I keep coming back to Demetriou to come here. He ticks all the right boxes. And if we can secure him for next season, that should allow him the one year grace to get everything in place for a real crack in 2021. Can't see how holding onto Pay for another season advances anything.
I agree there’s no guarantee with anything but I just think there’s a much greater risk with the Walker brothers then someone like Demetriou.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
fuk oath!

Also bring in Barry Hall to play prop and Adam Goodes to play halfback.

Ron Barassi for CEO!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You're all wrong. The answer is Al Pacino.

Have a look at the blokes eyes at 2:59.

THAT'S THE MOTHER FUCKING DOGS OF WAR FACE!!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need something lol..!!!

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m not advocating Roos as coach, I’m saying have him come in and help overhaul our approach to all aspects of the football club, coaches, players, administrators etc. How much professional development do you think our people get, I’m guessing very little, here’s a chance to improve everyone individually and the way they interact and work together

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay already has an assistant coach who has shown potential in the lower grades - Georgallis who won the ISP state and interstate championship, it hasnt helped him.
Sad to say but he has to go.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dean Pay already has an assistant coach who has shown potential in the lower grades - Georgallis who won the ISP state and interstate championship, it hasnt helped him.
Sad to say but he has to go.
[/QUOTE]

That’s just shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic, it’s a band aid solution. The ship isn’t going down, it’s at the bottom of the ocean, we need real change, structural and cultural, not just personal

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s just shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic, it’s a band aid solution. The ship isn’t going down, it’s at the bottom of the ocean, we need real change, structural and cultural, not just personal[/QUOTE]
Correct, which is what I am saying..

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Id prefer Gary Ablett Snr or Mick Malthouse

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Roos is great motivator, has an understanding of sports psychology better than most. Wouldn't hurt to get him to do some motivational presentations.

Go Dogs

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roos is great motivator, has an understanding of sports psychology better than most. Wouldn't hurt to get him to do some motivational presentations.

Go Dogs
If a coach cant motivate his crew than fuck all of it

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If a coach cant motivate his crew than fuck all of it
Roos does motivational work for lots of organisations, sporting and business. A smart manager uses all things at his disposal, doesn't think that he knows it all, that applies equally to coaches. For example Bellamy used to use Tommy Hafey (RIP) as a motivational speaker and personal confidant/mentor.

Go Dogs