Opinion We need an experienced half

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching titans. Since there's no one else available we get Ash Taylor. As long as he plays second fiddle to burton.

Yeh he was anonymous and lost for a few years but he has actually had good seasons in the nrl and recently shown he's better when another half leads the team.

It's better than all of our other options at the moment and should come cheap
A contact of mine on the Gold Coast has indicated the reason why Taylor went missing for a while was due to off field issues of a serious nature. Leave him out of any recruitment discussions.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nobody could play behind our forward pack, they are all utter garbage. I’m concerned next year may not be much better on that basis.
Two forwards coming in, still leaves us very much short. I’ve never seen a weaker pack, just disgraceful

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nobody could play behind our forward pack, they are all utter garbage. I’m concerned next year may not be much better on that basis.
Two forwards coming in, still leaves us very much short. I’ve never seen a weaker pack, just disgraceful
We’ve also got zero depth behind the first choice 17. Hetho and TPJ will no doubt be suspended for some period of time. Our backs are solid but who steps in if Cotric or JAC is injured, for example.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
1.Pearce would be my no1 but injury prone apperently.
2. Tyrone peachey with whats available..

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rfm is like a new recruit if he gets on the field

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our biggest problem is we keep only choosing players that are available only because their current club are happy to let them go, or they have issues off the field. We’ve got to focus on quality players, and make them want to come to our club, before they turn to shit.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our biggest problem is we keep only choosing players that are available only because their current club are happy to let them go, or they have issues off the field. We’ve got to focus on quality players, and make them want to come to our club, before they turn to shit.
That, and develop our own quality juniors. Too many of our players like Morgan Harper and Reimis Smith go on to be good players at other clubs, while we pay overs to bring in their replacements.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton goes deep into the Semis if not all the way with Penrith, perhaps we don’t need anyone.

DCE and Foran carved up teams when they were 20 for Manly and managed to win a comp.
I couldn’t think of any other young inexperienced halves to win a comp in the modern history of the game. Apart from those two.

Imo Burton needs an experience half partner.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Averillo is the new Moses Mbye... overrated big time and has 1 good game per season

Snackdoogie

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yes the club is currently in massive strife but we can look forward to some positives next year.

Some of the recommendations are ridiculous here. If you are a smart club you have to try and work with what we have (Even though that has not worked at all).

Jake Averillo as much as he is trying it does not look like he has refined any of his halfback skills and that's a shame having Baz there as coach... But it is quite evident that this year he has not shown much at all in the number 7 jersey. Rushing players like BBO into the fire is also not going to work... think about how Josh Reynolds had his crack in first grade coming off the bench playing that hooker position quite often. Throwing BBO to the wolves and expecting him to light the world of fire is not possible especially when there is no precedent set at the club.

Averillo should not couple Burton in the halves next year, Burton is a great footballer but i would couple him with some experience and no not Benji. That stop gap has sailed unless you want him as a 14 to mentor the young pups . Having Pearce would be a better option for 1-2 years.

As for Averillo I just don't see him in the halves unless he is with an dominant 7 and if that is going to be Burton well that wont be for a few more years.

The end of my rant is we must develop a strong spine that can steer a team around the football park. For the last 3 years we have been clueless in opposition attack, we have been clueless in setting out forwards up for big bone charging runs, we have been clueless in keeping up with the ever evolving fast pace of the game from dummy half. It is time to focus on that spine...

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way. Burton 6. You put Burton at 7, he drowns, loses confidence and becomes shit. We need an experienced 7.
Anyone but averillo. Heard dufty played 6 growing up. Anyone but averillo I’m happy