We need a firebrand forward !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sorry but I think you missed kas as we only score when he comes on.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kas and beast our my favorites. I like Klemmer too but not ahead of those two.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If by firebrand you mean "we need a player who will give the refs an even bigger excuse to penalise us", then the answer is no.

Currently the NRLs best firebrand (aka fuckwit), is Nathan Brown. It's only a matter of time before someone drops him, or he gets suspended longterm.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mason was a cat, just an enormous one.

Shrek was obviously a nut but I think once Klemmer fills out his frame he's going to start murdering people, don't forget his age.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Give me a K give me a a L give me a - oh yeah it's been said in this thread..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need a halfback before another forward

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbh I think Jackson is a mongrel in both attack in defense... knows how to put a good shot on and makes plenty of hard runs
Deadset i reckon craig garvey has a fair whack of firebrand

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair assessment Izzy. Although i liked it when we had a couple of hard nosed thug type players in the team like a O'meley or Mason. We last one a premiership with these type of forwards. I think that's what we are missing. That is my opinion.
You're right about O'Meley and Mason... no doubt at all.

I"ve been following the Dogs for 54 years and unfortunately my memory is nearly shot, so I went into the Bulldogs website. The best I dug up was in the 1980s when we had guys like Peter Kelly, Mark Bugden, Peter Tunks and David Gillespie.

With the way the NRL carries on about "dangerous throws", concussion etc there is no way that these blokes could do now what they did then. But every club wanted their hard men to aim up back then; its just that the Bulldogs were a lot better at it. :laughing:

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We all keep debating about which forwards should stay or go... We all keep talking about who's form has dropped and who will never improve or be consistent. I agree with a lot of arguments, but the one thing i have noticed is that we have not had that one forward that is consistent and has that good old fashioned mongrel that we the bulldogs are renowned for. Before you all say Graham, or Kas or even Eastwood, let me say that not one of them is consistent and does both attack and defense aggressively... We need a Dylan Napa or as much as i hate him, Werea-Hargraves. We need a firebrand that will lead from the front in both attack and defense and will inspire the boys. Graham does have passion amd aggression, but he doesn't exactly run hard or hit hard. Kas runs hard but is not really aggressive in defense and Beast is a strong runner (when he wants to) but more noted for his defense. I believe we have a overrated big forward pack that should be more damaging and more consistent but unfortunately is not! We need that mongrel in the middle and i would love for us to piss off Tolman and Browne and make a play for someone like Napa or Werea-Hargraves. It would change our forward packs mindset and give us our reputation back as i believe as big as our boys are, teams are just not afraid of them! Thoughts ???
We no need any forwards, but I like to see Tolman go

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Forwards were never our problem.. Our kicking game and 5th tackle options are our number 1 problem.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't think we need any forwards... just for our current guys to be consistently on their game. We need a half back that directs the team around the park and can play what he sees as well. Mbye to 6. Reynolds to permanent bench spot to rotate lichha. I'm the bloke who put the Keary thread up a few weeks ago. Moan all you like but he's the type of 7 we need. Rest of the back line is good for now.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fair assessment Izzy. Although i liked it when we had a couple of hard nosed thug type players in the team like a O'meley or Mason. We last one a premiership with these type of forwards. I think that's what we are missing. That is my opinion.
It's a fair call but 12 years ago you could get away with more... firebrands are often hated by refs and judiciary and that unfortunately makes the firebrand inconsistent for the team...

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The man that you describe as what your looking for, or one like him is $BW. Don't know if we'd ever take him back, looks like he is gonna finish in Rugby Yawnion. Left edge skillful hard hitting back rower - BRING BACK FRANK THE TANK BEFORE JUNE 30 LOL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.