We just don’t have the team

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rephrase the title to we just don’t have the halfback. Couple of players are punching above their weight unequivocally doesn’t take prime Thurston to run hard and tackle hard. It’s the sense of comradery Ciraldos built, use to be few heads drop they all do. Now if one drops were unphased and play for each other.
Unsure what I predicted in a post but I recall something like 12th and that’s if a lot went right. If we can get a bit of a win streak going against the likes of Newcastle, tigers and dragons were right on track for the 8.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned. We've been great when we play relaxed. The passes aren't getting pushed out of desperation and we have some very exciting passages of play. Even having the referee as our opponents 14th man hasn't rattled mentally us in game like it would last year. We've remained in the fight at least.

The last issue two issues we have preventing us from being top 8 contenders IMO is
1- Those brain fart periods when there's 5 minutes left and a try would win it. We go from being an exciting prospect with ball movement turning all our backline into threats and transform into the settler Bulldogs. 4 one out runs and a safe kick.

2- Hutchison's proclivity to turn the ball back into a congested middle when our backline is steaming into light traffic. Haven't seen enough of him in other teams to conclude that he has issues passing right. But I'm seeing enough opportunities snuffed out by passing left when the pass right looks the better option to wonder if he subconsciously lacks confidence in his ability to pass to the right. Would welcome the opinion of people who've seen more than I have of his game. Perhaps switching him and Burton's side could resolve the issue, perhaps not. But we've shown more threat with Taaffe acting as the link man on sweeping backline plays down that edge though.

I wasn't expecting miracles by this stage. We're doing better than my expectations. And it's pleasing to think we're not far off being a team that'll make our opposition fans and players nervous leading into games. We're on a trajectory that's seen us lose two tight games to top 8 incumbents and beat another. The dust will settle by round 10 or thereabouts and there'll be a clearer picture of where we actually rate on the ladder.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the team outside a couple of positions, halfback and 1 prop. If/when we sort out these positions we'll be a team to be feared again.

Last edited:

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We might not be a contender for a GF berth this year but everything we've seen so far suggests we could be a top 8 side. We beat the Rorters and, at full strength, probably would have won this week. Our systems are working and Ciro is getting the most out of the players.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We went well vs full strength Storm in Melbourne, and lost due to bad goalkicking. Not going to bag anyone over the loss, except Burtons goalkicking

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We might not be a contender for a GF berth this year but everything we've seen so far suggests we could be a top 8 side.
At this stage of the season, if we are a Top 8 side (or a potential one), then by definition we're also a GF contender.

Our form/confidence/combinations will be totally different by the end of August.

We need only focus on making the top 8, for now.

As they say, from there it is a whole new competition.

If we can keep this attitude we've taken into 2024, tweak some positions, build our confidence and get enough points to sneak into the top 8, then anything is possible...
#daretodream

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The difference between top 8 sides and sides trying to break through is knowing how to win.. even watching the Dragons today they did a lot good but also gifted Tigers plenty of opportunities.

It's similar to us against the Roosters which we got away with, but against Storm we were giving them the ball on their 30 when we had chances to kick to the corners or at least kick for distance not straight up.

The close games will give our boys confidence but they've got to keep their heads on and close out games. Back to back wins against two top 8 teams would have been a huge boost.

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had high hopes that we could push for the last few spots in the eight at the beginning of the year. Some of the results of the year's start shook my confidence. But we can compete for the last few spots in the 8. But the expectation is top 11. If we are higher than that I will be happy lower will be disappointed. Unless we have significant injuries to key players.

luke.thmpsn

Waterboy
Reaction score
My theory is that Ciro is trying something a little new, not entirely new.

Using wing and centres to run early one outs and have a lighter faster pack. Both together means our forwards do less work and are fitter meaning they miss less tackles and have more impact late in games.

This is a mix of 3 peat Panthers and Cronk/slater storm.

Panthers changed the game using early kicks and wingers to run the ball when forwards normally do. Hence To'o runs for hundreds of metres a game and they seem to run down hill at the end of games and rolled the Broncos last year late.

This means their forwards do less work than other packs and they can stay big and use Leota and Fisher Harris less but for more impact.

Storm used a lighter pack and a sliding defence to have more defenders in the middle than other teams and force teams to try score on the wings against big wings and centres.

Ciraldo is sliding the defence and using Kiraz, Addo-Carr, etc. to run massive metres. This leaves our forward pack with much more energy late in games and means we can spread the ball through forwards constantly in attack and have better technique in defense all the way to the end of games.

This explains why we went better against storm than expected. They couldn't tire us out. The classic Papenhuyzen/Munster/Hughes run to test the forward pack never worked. The forwards were switched on and didn't let Storm roll like they do against bigger packs that break down through the middle.

Point being: Ciraldo is trying to change the game.

We didn't go hard for massive forwards in the offseason, because Ciraldo doesn't want them.

We might not be ready to hunt for a title yet. But the list might be closer to finished than you think.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My theory is that Ciro is trying something a little new, not entirely new.

Using wing and centres to run early one outs and have a lighter faster pack. Both together means our forwards do less work and are fitter meaning they miss less tackles and have more impact late in games.

This is a mix of 3 peat Panthers and Cronk/slater storm.

Panthers changed the game using early kicks and wingers to run the ball when forwards normally do. Hence To'o runs for hundreds of metres a game and they seem to run down hill at the end of games and rolled the Broncos last year late.

This means their forwards do less work than other packs and they can stay big and use Leota and Fisher Harris less but for more impact.

Storm used a lighter pack and a sliding defence to have more defenders in the middle than other teams and force teams to try score on the wings against big wings and centres.

Ciraldo is sliding the defence and using Kiraz, Addo-Carr, etc. to run massive metres. This leaves our forward pack with much more energy late in games and means we can spread the ball through forwards constantly in attack and have better technique in defense all the way to the end of games.

This explains why we went better against storm than expected. They couldn't tire us out. The classic Papenhuyzen/Munster/Hughes run to test the forward pack never worked. The forwards were switched on and didn't let Storm roll like they do against bigger packs that break down through the middle.

Point being: Ciraldo is trying to change the game.

We didn't go hard for massive forwards in the offseason, because Ciraldo doesn't want them.

We might not be ready to hunt for a title yet. But the list might be closer to finished than you think.

Like your thoughts here LT. What's the tactic with Hutch running into defenders on 4th and not passing to his backs with overlaps?

luke.thmpsn

Waterboy
Reaction score
We went well vs full strength Storm in Melbourne, and lost due to bad goalkicking. Not going to bag anyone over the loss, except Burtons goalkicking
The missed ones were all on his non preferred side directly on the sideline. Ease up.

Reactions: Lex

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The optimism on display in this thread will be null and void if they can"t beat the Knights at home. Having said that the middle forwards have exceeded expectations, i"m not getting carried away by Xerri after one game either. However with a better 7 we win atleast one more game to start the year. Want to see more from Patolo Faamasuali and Haywood before I say they belong in the NRL. Salmon and Morrin are ideally only bench forwards to back up Curran who really should be playing lock with King and Hughes starting up front. Why is CC starting another youngster in Patolo with a history of injuries as a starting prop before Hughes, when he used Faamasuali for that role to start the year?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ciro: "Alright Hutch, look, we really need Matt to get his hands on the ball more. Can you handle that?"
Hutcho: "If I get tackled on the 4th, he has no choice!"
I like ya thinkin' lol

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One more thing Sexton scored two tries in NSW Cup today. Is that enough to get him into the 7 jumper before Hutchinson? Guess we will find out on Tuesday.

luke.thmpsn

Waterboy
Reaction score
Like your thoughts here LT. What's the tactic with Hutch running into defenders on 4th and not passing to his backs with overlaps?
Having a plodder old head keep their emotions together while trying something new.

It's working. They went 10-0 down and came back against a full strength Storm in Melbourne and didn't give up after giving away a dumb try at the start.

Fair chance Hutchison gets replaced when we have a better 7.

It's not every day a club goes full Rabbitohs and gives a Reynolds quality 7 for no reason. We either pay a butt load for one or wait for the developing players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The optimism on display in this thread will be null and void if they can"t beat the Knights at home. Having said that the middle forwards have exceeded expectations, i"m not getting carried away by Xerri after one game either. However with a better 7 we win atleast one more game to start the year. Want to see more from Patolo Faamasuali and Haywood before I say they belong in the NRL. Salmon and Morrin are ideally only bench forwards to back up Curran who really should be playing lock with King and Hughes starting up front. Why is CC starting another youngster in Patolo with a history of injuries as a starting prop before Hughes, when he used Faamasuali for that role to start the year?
It's the 'ol one game at a time trick.
But yes lose to Newcastle it's back to dire straits lol
We're only here as die hards hoping our club can rise again.
Ours is not to wonder why.....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Having a plodder old head keep their emotions together while trying something new.

It's working. They went 10-0 down and came back against a full strength Storm in Melbourne and didn't give up after giving away a dumb try at the start.

Fair chance Hutchison gets replaced when we have a better 7.

It's not every day a club goes full Rabbitohs and gives a Reynolds quality 7 for no reason. We either pay a butt load for one or wait for the developing players.

Just to let you know my question re Hutch was ridgey didge. Was interested on your theory :grinning: