We just don’t have the team

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With each game I grow more confidence, firstly there was a wide held belief that we didn't have any NRL quality "forwards" and would get steam rolled in every game. When it was consistently pointed out that we had a more than decent hooker, 2nd rowers and lock, with decent back ups for those positions, it was narrowed down to "props" from the erroneous "forwards". I have yet to see a game this season where we have even been dominated in the middle third, let alone being steam rolled. In half the games I believe we have been the ones doing the dominating.

Part of that is due to the modern approach of utilising the back 5 to take the metre eating load off the props, Ciraldo knows full well the advantages of doing that and is exploiting it here. Plus I would add that my view is we have amongst the NRL's best back 7 (after adding in the 2nd rowers) all of whom eat big metres.

Could we do with one more prop? Of course, but the endless comments of "why would X prop come to us when he would no support" has well and truly been proven to be bullshit. I have total confidence that we will either recruit one or promote one internally in the near future, and that they will buy into the "Bulldogs system", one that is being even more instilled in every training session and every game.

What are we missing?

I don't see the wide spread player deficiencies that we have suffered from for the last, too many, seasons. I don't see fitness being an issue any more. I see a coach who is no longer concerned with the players just making it through a game, to one who is instilling a confidence, belief, in the players to execute what they have trained long and hard for. What we are missing is the final pinch of confidence, the 5% of "we have got this" at the end of tight games and that only comes from winning the tight games.

Do we buy or promote a half back? We have some very talented juniors that are not that far away from NRL readiness, but with halves you always have to be careful not to promote them too early as they easily and quickly lose confidence and confidence is everything to a half. Young halves need to be protected, there are decades of NRL experience of halves having an alfa next to them in defence, every team has that, some more than others. Halves can't hide out on the wing like they used to, they have to stand up in the line and take their position. I see Kikau as our best halves defender, with him alongside them I don't believe that our junior halves would be overly exploited.

If a 30/31/32 year old decent NRL quality half back can be enticed away from their current club then that gives us the extra time to properly promote one or more of the juniors. If that doesn't happen then we may well have to bite the bullet and promote a junior earlier than would otherwise be the case. They will need protection, not just from someone standing next to them in defence, but from the whole club for them to survive the scrutiny, the microscope, that young half backs are always subjected to.

Always a Bulldog

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus said on his podcast the experienced players are there to take the bruises until the young guns are ready to be eased in.

We are paying the likes of Hutchison, Salmon, Mann, etc well to be the ultimate pros on the field. Set standards and put in for those effort areas.

We are building, the opening 40mins vs Storm we showed fight but again like against Souths we lack that clinical edge and killer instinct to close out games. We leave too many tries out their given our dominant field possession.

I also think our error rate is far too high to win games and that isn't on the coaching but the players lack of attention to detail at times.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This team makes the top 8 this season. We just need to make the top 8 so our players can grow belief & take the next step.

01. Connor Tracey
02. Jacob Kiraz
03. Stephen Crichton
04. Bronson Xerri
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Matt Burton
07. Toby Sexton
08. Max King
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Josh Curran
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jacob Preston
13. Kurt Mann

14. Blake Taaffe/Bailey Hayward/Jaeman Salmon
15. Kitione Kautoga
16. Samuel Hughes
17. Poasa Faamausili

Last edited:

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus said on his podcast the experienced players are there to take the bruises until the young guns are ready to be eased in.

We are paying the likes of Hutchison, Salmon, Mann, etc well to be the ultimate pros on the field. Set standards and put in for those effort areas.

We are building, the opening 40mins vs Storm we showed fight but again like against Souths we lack that clinical edge and killer instinct to close out games. We leave too many tries out their given our dominant field possession.

I also think our error rate is far too high to win games and that isn't on the coaching but the players lack of attention to detail at times.
Thought we were very close to winning against Melb the difference was the attacking raid by Munster and Papps elite spine attacking the middle at the death… we were continued to look for attack… only comes through confidence, our combinations will grow with some wins hoping these losses will keep us hungry and we go for a run of wins.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Thought we were very close to winning against Melb the difference was the attacking raid by Munster and Papps elite spine attacking the middle at the death… we were continued to look for attack… only comes through confidence, our combinations will grow with some wins hoping these losses will keep us hungry and we go for a run of wins.
It was 3 tries each. Goal kicking cost us the match.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 3 tries each. Goal kicking cost us the match.
Yes but elite spine did what they had to do for the win… we were leading before they scored again. That shit can happen if he kicks the goals or not. We had some opps with the ball at the end and fell apart that’s the real difference. We don’t handle adversity well yet.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Like it or not we simply don’t have the talent and experience to be a contender this year I this the majority will admit that. So what do we as supporters hope for???

I’ll be honest and say if we finish top twelve we are doing better than I thought. Our players just aren’t good enough. We have a rookie coach. And a hard draw to start the year.

But I’m surprised. I thought we would be lucky to win a game against the Titans. And would be happy with one win going into the bye. Now I think we should beat Newcastle easily.
It’s amazing what a coach can do.

We could make the finals with our attitude.

My question is. How different is your thoughts on the team now compared to the start of the year?
You really have no clue about football if you don’t think we have the players. They are a team that has just been put together and need time to gel. We have more then enough talent to beat anyone and have proven that

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really have no clue about football if you don’t think we have the players. They are a team that has just been put together and need time to gel. We have more then enough talent to beat anyone and have proven that
Been saying we are good team waiting to happen. Many guys on here shit canning our props.. we playing to our strengths, it’s working so far.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes but elite spine did what they had to do for the win… we were leading before they scored again. That shit can happen if he kicks the goals or not. We had some opps with the ball at the end and fell apart that’s the real difference.
But they didn't outplay us as a team. Yes if we had a better spine we would've won but if Burton made the kicks we win also.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Been saying we are good team waiting to happen. Many guys on here shit canning our props.. we playing to our strengths, it’s working so far.
I posted right from the start, it is the coach's job to get all the players playing their best form. Coach Ciro now has that happening (reasonably consistently ie Burto). The only position where we don't is 7.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree with you, We are getting better each week, CC is starting to show he can coach this team. Once our left side clicks (already started too) and the boys form combos we will be a real threat. And if we stay injury free then will see a huge difference.
Most importantly the boys will start to believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top 12 teams (at present on the ladder) have these #7s

Hynes, Hughes, Dearden, Katoa, Cleary, Johnson, DCE, Walker, Reynolds, Sezer, Moses.

You put any of those 7s in the dogs team, then we beat both Rabbits and Storm.

Result of 2 extra wins = Equal 3rd and Top 6 at Minimum.

Summary = We are not that far off becoming a threat.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted right from the start, it is the coach's job to get all the players playing their best form. Coach Ciro now has that happening (reasonably consistently ie Burto). The only position where we don't is 7.
What is Ciros rationale for sticking with Hutch
What does Ciro 1 see or 2 hope for in Hutch
Is Hutch an actual liability on going to ground on 4th or part of a discipline to get us to Alternate 5th play option. Lot of variables we can’t see.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What is Ciros rationale for sticking with Hutch
What does Ciro 1 see or 2 hope for in Hutch
Is Hutch an actual liability on going to ground on 4th or part of a discipline to get us to Alternate 5th play option. Lot of variables we can’t see.
I've suggested this before. This play is so blatant: is it a CC tactic for some reason? He isn't stopping Hutch from doing it so who knows.

All we do know atm is it's not working to help us score or put pressure on the defence.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we are showing grit and defensive resolve, the question is, how much longer will this last especially when the wins dont come?
How long will they stay motivated for?
The best teams can lose some intensity which is natural but still get wins based purely on talent and some luck.
We do not have that luxury.
I am afraid that if the wins do not come then team will lose some intensity.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of good and bad about the teams performances. The team being picked is arguably the best we can assemble.
It can, and will be tweaked. One missing ingredient is the lack of an organiser. Burton and Hutch don't cut it.
We need someone like Gutherson or Hughes. I dont think Crichton offers enough in organising the players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
While we are showing grit and defensive resolve, the question is, how much longer will this last especially when the wins dont come?
How long will they stay motivated for?
The best teams can lose some intensity which is natural but still get wins based purely on talent and some luck.
We do not have that luxury.
I am afraid that if the wins do not come then team will lose some intensity.
This is probably the biggest factor why most of us are concerned about the 7 situation. We need better options there, now that Ciro has the defence improved.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On their very best day, getting just about everything right, I'd back our boys to beat most teams.. but we have perpetual losers for so long that the team needs to learn how to win in different ways, and close out games. The fitness and attitude is there.. in attack they need to make the right decision more often