We’re short on second rowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, all seriousness what are we doing and why are we signing so many second rowers when our CTW and Hooker stocks are so low? How are we going to rotate Jacko, Martin, RFM, Elliott, Corey Harawira-Naera and Sauaso Sue? All of those blokes can play 60 minutes and there’s five of them between two positions. I could see Jacko or Elliott playing lock, but still seems a little strange. 4 year deal is a massive commitment too for CHN, and I doubt he’s the answer in the centers. Thoughts? If we don’t sign Segeyaro, I hope Woolford gets a crack.
No but CHN if coming off the bench can fill in at centre in an extreme case if one gets injured but still have four forwards on the bench.
Also let's not forget that the interchange rule will be changing in the coming years so we need our forwards playing big minutes as you say they can. The stature of our pack will be lean and no more fat lazy bastards.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t see the hype in RFM tbh. He’s good when on. But still drops the ball a lot and fitness. Would much rather him come off the bench.
I think Pay will improve his skill. I'd be giving RFM the off-season to sharpen up but I think we will see the best come out of him next year like we have seen of late with most of the team. It has just taken time to get their heads around a new style imo

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rotate RFM and CHN so we are not losing any impact on the edges when either one of them comes off. Have you heard of this thing called fighting for spots??? Depth my friend , can be a wonderful thing. Especially when they are all talented and have great potential.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Rotate RFM and CHN so we are not losing any impact on the edges when either one of them comes off. Have you heard of this thing called fighting for spots??? Depth my friend , can be a wonderful thing. Especially when they are all talented and have great potential.
Absolute waste of time rotating edge backrowers.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Absolute waste of time rotating edge backrowers.
Edge forwards are also on the bench buddy. You don't just have 4 middle forwards or 3 and a utility. Well where do you fit them in ? I'm saying this is the likely scenario so we still have impact off the bench if either one comes off.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dean Pay has been adamant about having competition at every position to create a hungry and competitive culture within the club, and I can't help but feel like that's one of the reasons why he is stacking the forward pack. I think with Rhyse Martin and CHN having experience in the centres, he can use them out there if need be. But I think one of his biggest priorities is ensuring that everyone is fighting for a spot at their position so that they're playing hard every week.
Agree bro... In pay we must trust based on the back half.
At the start is the year who thought we could have such a turnaround??
Mybe, woods, frawley, Josh and Brett Morris gone this year . ..... Along with Graham, Kasiano and Reynolds at the end of last year....plus Castle, Dibb, Cleal and Hasler.
Thats a BIG clean out!!
Now we are Charlie Sheen winning!
The confidence and style we are displaying should give every true dogs supporter a big ole stiffy.
What we do with that stiffy is up to all of us but mine won't be wasted....actually it will cause I'm super tired and drunk and going to bed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Edge forwards are also on the bench buddy. You don't just have 4 middle forwards or 3 and a utility. Well where do you fit them in ? I'm saying this is the likely scenario so we still have impact off the bench if either one comes off.
Never said they aren't on the bench, but few teams consistently rotate their edges at all. It's poor use of the bench and if you have competent edge players then it's completely unnecessary. Just look at the teams that do rotate their edges, it's simply down to the fact that they don't have a player that has nailed down that position for whatever reason.

You said where do we fit them in? I say we don't, someone is going to miss out. Jackson will start, whether that is on the edge or middle i don't know. We then have 4 other players in RFM, Martin, Elliott and CHN fighting for the 2 other starting positions. Only 1 of the remaining players should find their way onto the bench and most of them are versatile enough to play through the middle as your 3rd forward or on an edge if required. Throwing an extra one of them on the bench is a waste unless it's CHN and he's still versatile enough to cover 5/8, fullback and centre where he previously played from memory.

Either way, we should definitely be getting 80 out of our edge forwards, whoever plays there is more than capable of playing the 80. Also keeping the same edges helps build combinations and the players become familiar with each other, changing things up on a consistent basis could see us lose some of that chemistry on the edges. Better to save our interchange on rotating our middle and keeping the intensity up for the full 80 in both attack and defence, no need for us to have the likes of Tolman playing excessive minutes withbthe quality we will have in the pack next season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never said they aren't on the bench, but few teams consistently rotate their edges at all. It's poor use of the bench and if you have competent edge players then it's completely unnecessary. Just look at the teams that do rotate their edges, it's simply down to the fact that they don't have a player that has nailed down that position for whatever reason.

You said where do we fit them in? I say we don't, someone is going to miss out. Jackson will start, whether that is on the edge or middle i don't know. We then have 4 other players in RFM, Martin, Elliott and CHN fighting for the 2 other starting positions. Only 1 of the remaining players should find their way onto the bench and most of them are versatile enough to play through the middle as your 3rd forward or on an edge if required. Throwing an extra one of them on the bench is a waste unless it's CHN and he's still versatile enough to cover 5/8, fullback and centre where he previously played from memory.

Either way, we should definitely be getting 80 out of our edge forwards, whoever plays there is more than capable of playing the 80. Also keeping the same edges helps build combinations and the players become familiar with each other, changing things up on a consistent basis could see us lose some of that chemistry on the edges. Better to save our interchange on rotating our middle and keeping the intensity up for the full 80 in both attack and defence, no need for us to have the likes of Tolman playing excessive minutes withbthe quality we will have in the pack next season.
Its a bloody tough decision in my opinion but It will most prob come down to who can defend best inside Foran.

Jacko must be going to lock in a rotation with Elliot.

I'd say CHN starts on the right with RFM on the left. Martin can basically play anywhere so he will be a good benchy but then again what about his goalkicking?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always injuries and rep games so we'll use all the backrowers, and Chris Smith. Just need to leave enough money in the cap for a dummy half and backline depth.

Klem, Tolman, Sue and Ogden should be our front row rotation. I can't see Fualalo having a future under Pay unless he improves big time in the off season.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate Suasso Sue has played his entire career with the Tigers wearing the number 8 as a prop forward I don’t know where you are getting your information from including him as a second rower??? CHN is a great signing he is a gun backrower yes, however, Pay will no doubt be using him as a centre, not sure how many gmaes you’ve watched of Penrith when he was filling in at centre but the guy carves up there and we wouldn’t have payed mega $$$ for him, $400-$500’000 tops... Oh and to all the whingers saying RFM is a dud, the guy is a gun too, makes heaps of tackles, hits the line hard, offloads at will and runs great lines and gaps what more could you ask from a top second rower? I know we need a gun hooker and centre but who’s to say we aint got those signings done just waiting for the finals to finish so we can announce them. In all honesty I’m more excited about next year than I was this season!
Correct. Also consider the game is changing somewhat, evolving. We will see more big bodies playing centre in the future, and JMoz strength wasnt his blistering speed in attack it was his D. Good attacking structures sees bigger centres making breaks and then passing to speedy wingers or FB's. Also remember we had targeted Oates as a 2nd rower/centre where he wants to play to command more $$$ but Oates turned out to be merely using us to try extract a better deal from Broncos, so we took his deal off the table to get CHN. Still hopes for Segy and another class back. Stay tuned for announcements. I think weve done well in targeted recruitment with an eye to replacing an expensive aging squad for affordable non back ended youth with potential, keeping money on hand for sudden availabilities.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's always injuries and rep games so we'll use all the backrowers, and Chris Smith. Just need to leave enough money in the cap for a dummy half and backline depth.

Klem, Tolman, Sue and Ogden should be our front row rotation. I can't see Fualalo having a future under Pay unless he improves big time in the off season.
Totally disagree about Fualolo. I think he has improved massively. He is a big unit and just learning about using his size. He and Ogden are a must for the bench.
I think Sue is better suited to back row position.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its a bloody tough decision in my opinion but It will most prob come down to who can defend best inside Foran.

Jacko must be going to lock in a rotation with Elliot.

I'd say CHN starts on the right with RFM on the left. Martin can basically play anywhere so he will be a good benchy but then again what about his goalkicking?
I'd say Martin is the least versatile of them, it's on the edge or nothing for me with him.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally disagree about Fualolo. I think he has improved massively. He is a big unit and just learning about using his size. He and Ogden are a must for the bench.
I think Sue is better suited to back row position.
Fualalo played well against the Dragons but he can't punch thruogh the line or make post contact metres against good defences. He's grabby in defence, like RFM, and doesn't commit properly in the tackle. That's where I reckon he needs to improve most. Hope you''re right and he gets there.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what everyones so unhappy about. Im sure the coahing staff and club have a plan and prob wont have the blokes they completely want for another year or 2 yet. Reece martin only recieved a one year contract and suaso sue is a prop. And rfms defence is alot to be desired. Work the rest out for yourselves the blokes not playing up to scratch play fucking reserve grade thats how ya fit em all in. Im sure the club has its eyes on future long term hooker and centre for the club ! This kid can run a line and has a better off load than any of our back rowers. He will add something to the team.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
when they drop tolman and RFM we will be right!!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd say Martin is the least versatile of them, it's on the edge or nothing for me with him.
In a way, he can play in the middle but the problem is it has to be for short stints.. No point in really having your best goal kicker out there for half a game. You want atleast 70% of a game for him. So it means RFM to the bench... Bit of an impact Elliot, RFM and Sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.