Opinion Wayne Bennett

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Being honest. I was aboard the Bennet train for the short-term but after reading some of your comments here it got me thinking and I reckon you're all right. While I do think he'd be able to draw some top players in, I think there might be a bit of Hasler in his approach just trying to get that premiership win without looking at our long-term future enough.

As for Pay? I don't think there's any other option but to extend and I expect us to unless he has an absolute stinker of a year. Time will tell.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Bennett the best coach in the NRL? I don't think so, I think Bellamy, Stuart, Hasler, Flanagan and even Robinson has him covered, but he is still in the top 8 in the NRL.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thoughts...

If all the crap about Bennett is true, do the dogs offer him a 2 year deal to turn the club around? We need a coach with some balls to bring in the players he wants. As much as you can't argue Pay love for the dogs, he doesn't strike me as the type of leader that is going to attract the talent we need to win premierships. I think as well some of his questionable selection decisions and radical ideas such as rotating halves is severely ruining his credibility. If he would take an assistant coach role, he would be superb under Bennett.

Now it's an obvious win for us, but people will say what's in it for Bennett? If he can change the team around in two seasons, he will solidify himself as the greatest. He isn't ready to leave the game and as Phil Gould said on his podcast, he has said it's all he knows so why would he?

Just a thought, but I like it.
I like the idea of Bennett coming in fo 2 years,he would bring a lot of experience to our club and,I believe his knowledge of the game would help guys like wakeham,Renouf,maybe have pay as an assistant,certainly he would be learning,from one of the best,the chances of the club attracting quality players under Bennett would also improve,in reality we have not shown much improvement under pay over the last 2 years

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Options...
1. Go hard and sign Bellamy starting from 2022, keep Pay or another caretaker till then.
2. Sign Bennett as a mentor to a young coach
3. Sign Flanaga for 2022 if we can't do better
Or if by a miracle the Roorters collapse then Robinson is the obvious choice :mask:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Another huge point is that Bennett just like Hasler like to rule completely. I can't see our club heading down that path again. Especially a club with rookie management.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Shaun Wane - head coach
Adrian Lam - assistant coach
Michael Ennis - assistant / consultant
That would be my ideal scenario if we aren't to pursue/risk Flanagan.
Pay has this season only to improve imo, I don't believe he's warranted an extension because of Covid.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picking a coach for your club has that unique set of circumstances where some want bulldogs DNA and some couldn't care less, but from what I'm reading the couldn't care less group is growing. And from an outsiders perspective that is a good thing as the talent pool of coaches from which to draw on that have bulldogs DNA is very limiting.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shaun Wane - head coach
Adrian Lam - assistant coach
Michael Ennis - assistant / consultant
That would be my ideal scenario if we aren't to pursue/risk Flanagan.
Pay has this season only to improve imo, I don't believe he's warranted an extension because of Covid.
Thompson and Bateman played under Shaun Wane as well.
He'd be my pick.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thoughts...

If all the crap about Bennett is true, do the dogs offer him a 2 year deal to turn the club around? We need a coach with some balls to bring in the players he wants. As much as you can't argue Pay love for the dogs, he doesn't strike me as the type of leader that is going to attract the talent we need to win premierships. I think as well some of his questionable selection decisions and radical ideas such as rotating halves is severely ruining his credibility. If he would take an assistant coach role, he would be superb under Bennett.

Now it's an obvious win for us, but people will say what's in it for Bennett? If he can change the team around in two seasons, he will solidify himself as the greatest. He isn't ready to leave the game and as Phil Gould said on his podcast, he has said it's all he knows so why would he?

Just a thought, but I like it.
His best coaching days are way behind him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Recruiting consultant. Throw heaps of money at him just to get players to sign with us, that's all we need him for.
That would be my play.

two year deal with a medical twice a season.

can 'fail' his medical after a season if need be.

wouldnt be hard to poke old through a 72 year olds fitness.