Wayne Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malla

Reaction score
I think he should call it wraps on his NRL coaching career.

- Had that short term success at the Dragons only based on the roster he had tho - won the comp but had to gut their juniors. 6 years have passed and the club has still not recovered.

- Same thing in Newcastle - didn't really achieve anything there and it looks like a good 5 years before they get themselves back into the top 8.

- Has some how found a way to not win with this Broncos squad he has. Love hearing people make up the excuses that its a confidence thing or a state of origin hang over but really it looks like the players just aren't responding to his coaching. Also look at the way he dealt with the Parker situation, clearly its sent a ripple through the locker room.

I think he has lost touch with way the game is played at the moment.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He got closer to winning a gf than Des has soo??

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lol he made the gf last year, don't jump the gun yet. When the Broncos are on they play great attacking football under Bennett

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought I was in the jokes forum.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We only won 5 from 14 matches at the end of the 2014 season, the Broncos only need to win 4 of their last 10 matches to make the 8.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't think Bennett is a bad coach at all, and SOO is still at least a little valid as a reason (although, they seem to be slumping without it as well).

He isn't the faultless god like coach people sometimes make him out to be, but still has to be up there with the best.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lol he made the gf last year, don't jump the gun yet. When the Broncos are on they play great attacking football under Bennett
We made the gf twice in 3 years and people still think des is shit.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bennett has done no worse then Des, they made the GF first year and so did we, then our 2013 season was terrible and no better then what the broncos are dishing up this year.
Slight difference is Des didnt walk into a club that had 8 current internationals, we had 3 I think. This year he has even more SOO players and Internationals and they look like they could actually miss the finals to me. You cant even compare what he has to work with and what we had in 2012 because its not even close. Now you can compare Waynes record when he went to Newcastle to when des came to us because the Roster was closer, and we all no how he performed when he had an underwhelming roster, absolute shit house.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still think Wayne is the best, his results speak for themselves.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Slight difference is Des didnt walk into a club that had 8 current internationals, we had 3 I think. This year he has even more SOO players and Internationals and they look like they could actually miss the finals to me. You cant even compare what he has to work with and what we had in 2012 because its not even close. Now you can compare Waynes record when he went to Newcastle to when des came to us because the Roster was closer, and we all no how he performed when he had an underwhelming roster, absolute shit house.
Knights roster wasn't close to ours, they had an aging side and Bennett still manged to get them further then we did in 2013. The entire knights club was a mess as well with Tinkler even ringing up players and abusing them.

Anthony Griffin couldn't do anything with the Broncos even missing the finals in 2013 when they still had the majority of the players they had in 2015. We did so well in 2012 because Barba was a freak that year and we exploited the obstruction rule and we slowed down the play the ball like the storm did. It was changed in 2013 and we couldn't even win our first finals game getting beaten by Bennets knights.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Knights roster wasn't close to ours, they had an aging side and Bennett still manged to get them further then we did in 2013. The entire knights club was a mess as well with Tinkler even ringing up players and abusing them.

Anthony Griffin couldn't do anything with the Broncos even missing the finals in 2013 when they still had the majority of the players they had in 2015. We did so well in 2012 because Barba was a freak that year and we exploited the obstruction rule and we slowed down the play the ball like the storm did. It was changed in 2013 and we couldn't even win our first finals game getting beaten by Bennets knights.
All im saying is you cant compare what Des did in the first year with us to what Wayne did last year. He walked into a squad that had EIGHT SOO players or internationals. EIGHT!!!!! I think you're not giving credit where it is due saying "barba had a freak year", I can do that too, Milford had a freak year last year and now teams have figured him out. It still takes a great coach to get the best out of players, but id say it would be easier if those players were international standard.

I think you can compare our 2012 roster to that of the Knights as well. Take out what you know what happened that year and have a look at them and they are comparable. They had an aging roster because Wayne signed them all up too by the way. Buderus, Smith, old man Mason, Scott, Tahu. He even signed fuking Craig gower at the age of 35.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the teams he has had, he should have won a lot more.

He is very overrated.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All im saying is you cant compare what Des did in the first year with us to what Wayne did last year. He walked into a squad that had EIGHT SOO players or internationals. EIGHT!!!!! I think you're not giving credit where it is due saying "barba had a freak year", I can do that too, Milford had a freak year last year and now teams have figured him out. It still takes a great coach to get the best out of players, but id say it would be easier if those players were international standard.

I think you can compare our 2012 roster to that of the Knights as well. Take out what you know what happened that year and have a look at them and they are comparable. They had an aging roster because Wayne signed them all up too by the way. Buderus, Smith, old man Mason, Scott, Tahu. He even signed fuking Craig gower at the age of 35.
Of course Des's effort was more impressive then what Wayne has done at Broncos, tbh our side was pretty decent enough for opposition fans to complain we were over the cap that year which is funny, although you know they do that when you keep winning games. You have to remember Waynes effort at St George as well, 2 MPs and a GF win in 2 years is pretty good.

Even if you can compare the sides in terms of skill the morale at that club must of been pretty low at the time, I dont even think both Bennet and Des could of fixed it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2012 has been the best year Des had here. I look at our halves pairing then and think that Des worked wonders to get the team attacking like champions. Sure Barba had a great year, but he wasn't the only one who looked like a superstar in 2012. Our entire 17 were offering superb support play. Neither Keating our Reynolds had any organising skill, just good running games. I think our kicking game that year was easily worse than it currently is.

2013 was a huge letdown. I attribute a lot of that to behind the scenes drama that Barba was causing. I truly believe that Barba planned to weaken us in the finals clash verse the knights by faking an injury in the first few minutes of the game. He looked fine in the sheds when they cut to visions of him laughing in the phone while he wakes casually around the dressing room on his "injured" ankle.

Bennett has had some stunningly talented rosters to work with and at times he's also been in a position to influence rule changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.