News Wayne Bennett calls for review of ‘shemozzle’ of Origin eligibility rules

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Queensland coach Wayne Bennett has called for the Origin eligibility rules to be reviewed after admitting that the Maroons considered picking Blues No.6 Luke Keary.

The NSW debutant was born in Queensland and lived there until he was 11, but will play his first Origin in the sky blue and Bennett believes it might be time to look at the rules again.

“If all the other criteria is a bit messy and muddy, I suppose that (a player’s birthplace) should be a criteria,” Bennett was quoted in
The Courier Mail

Most rules need revising from time to time, things do change.

“There is a lot of change in our game and who plays the game now, so maybe it is worthwhile looking at the rules, but it won’t help anybody this year.”

Early in his career Keary wrote to the NRL to try and allow him to play for Queensland, but has since pledged his allegiance to the Blues.

Bennett revealed that Queensland made every effort to secure Keary’s services and believes the rules may need to be looked at just like every rule in the game.

“Keary has been considered for Queensland,” Bennett said.

“I understand the QRL have sent letters away and everything else, but they (the NRL) didn’t consider that he should be a Queenslander, so he is playing for NSW.

“I first went to a meeting about that (Origin eligibility) 10 or 15 years ago because it was a shemozzle then, so what’s changed?

I was there all those years ago and I felt we made good decisions then about it, we haven’t had a lot of problems with it since but there is always one example that will challenge us all.

“Queensland has done all it can do and we have to live with it.”

Bennett was pressed on whether he would select a player who had previously applied to play for the Blues.

“I would ... if he was the best player, I would take him,’ Bennett said.

Suck shit Skeltor. Qld have picked so many NSW born players throughout the years and the minute NSW select Keary they are up in arms. I hope Keary gets Motm tonight just to rub it in....

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NSW will win this series to make it 3 in a row. Qld will then again not be interested in origin. Call for it to be scraped just like last time NSW dominated

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Am i the only one a bit "meh" about origin this year? Hard to get into footy in November and once the GF is over.

Maybe its the fact the game is in Adelaide and here in Queensland its not getting anywhere near the attention it normally does as they're expecting a caning.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they're going to make the rule about where a player is born they'd better be prepared to dump any players born in NZ or any other of the islanders.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Am i the only one a bit "meh" about origin this year? Hard to get into footy in November and once the GF is over.

Maybe its the fact the game is in Adelaide and here in Queensland its not getting anywhere near the attention it normally does as they're expecting a caning.
I've been over Origin for a number of years. Seeing a large number of series decided by poor refereeing killed it for me. My only interest in recent years is hoping that none of our players that are selected get hurt. So it holds no interest for me this year.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If they're going to make the rule about where a player is born they'd better be prepared to dump any players born in NZ or any other of the islanders.
or interstate as well.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

That and also it's becoming unwatchable with the rorting running rampant.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Queensland coach Wayne Bennett has called for the Origin eligibility rules to be reviewed after admitting that the Maroons considered picking Blues No.6 Luke Keary.

The NSW debutant was born in Queensland and lived there until he was 11, but will play his first Origin in the sky blue and Bennett believes it might be time to look at the rules again.

“If all the other criteria is a bit messy and muddy, I suppose that (a player’s birthplace) should be a criteria,” Bennett was quoted in
The Courier Mail

“There is a lot of change in our game and who plays the game now, so maybe it is worthwhile looking at the rules, but it won’t help anybody this year.”

Early in his career Keary wrote to the NRL to try and allow him to play for Queensland, but has since pledged his allegiance to the Blues.

Bennett revealed that Queensland made every effort to secure Keary’s services and believes the rules may need to be looked at just like every rule in the game.

“I understand the QRL have sent letters away and everything else, but they (the NRL) didn’t consider that he should be a Queenslander, so he is playing for NSW.

“I first went to a meeting about that (Origin eligibility) 10 or 15 years ago because it was a shemozzle then, so what’s changed?

I was there all those years ago and I felt we made good decisions then about it, we haven’t had a lot of problems with it since but there is always one example that will challenge us all.

Bennett was pressed on whether he would select a player who had previously applied to play for the Blues.

Suck shit Skeltor. Qld have picked so many NSW born players throughout the years and the minute NSW select Keary they are up in arms. I hope Keary gets Motm tonight just to rub it in....

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is no bigger hypocrite in Rugby League than Wayne Bennett... decried the wrestling and slowing down of the ruck and yet was the first coach to employ a wrestling coach and won in such a boring fashion with the Dragons in 2010... has consistently rejected calls for a second Brisbane team even though the AFL has successfully used 2 teams per city (in even non-AFL cities) outside of Melbourne to grow the game and league because a second Brisbane team is a threat to the Broncos... did not let Milford play for Samoa to ensure he was fit and available for the Broncos... he refused to release Milford to the QLD Origin team if he wasn't selected in the 17... he breached the Covid-19 protocols he himself helped draft etc.

and now there is an issue with the player eligibility regarding Keary? really?! does anyone believe that Keary would get selected for QLD ahead of DCE and Munster?

moreover, the new rules as to eligibility which rules Keary a Blue is because of past abuses by the teams and to be fair, mainly by QLD... Inglis was born and raised and graded in NSW and yet played for QLD... Folau was born in Western Sydney... Brad Thorn was born in NZ and played for the All Blacks... Ponga was born in Port Hedland, Western Australia to New Zealand-born parents of Māori descent... Craig Smith was born in New Zealand and represented New Zealand, New Zealand Māori and Queensland!!! Adrian Lam was born in PNG... Tonie Carroll was born in NZ and played for NZ, Queensland and Australia... Mat Rogers was born in Sydney while his father played in the Sydney comp and similar to that of Keary, moved to QLD when he was 9-10 and yet no issue in him playing for the Maroons... Tuqiri was born and raised in Fiji... Civoniceva, Karmichael Hunt, Costigan, Kaufusi, Papalii etc.

Queenslanders are shameless when it comes to Origin and Bennett is just f*%#ing around to create problems in the lead up to Game I

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eat a big bag of dicks Bennett. Qld been poaching players for years to play for them. Get one back up ya, ya old knobhead!!

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I know bennet is only using these accusations as a way to unsettle NSW ... but it must be said Israel Folau was from Minto NSW and Inglis and from nth nsw. Both of which won you multiple origin series ...fuck off you miserable old ****

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

The Courier Mail

bennett is about as funny as an indian pretending to be lebanese, Keary is a Hills Bull junior and played his junior footy there