Opinion Water filter & cooler

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good afternoon Kennel, just want your advice on water filters & coolers. I would like to purchase one for my family but I'm not sure which one?

Would love to hear your advice, opinions and recommendations?

Thanks!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Depends what you are after... Tap fitted, counter fitted, in fridge fitted..

Most of them the con is the filter costs. Also power costs on a standalone unit might be significant.

We just have a stack of bottles in the fridge with water in them :D

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Normally I'd suggest to stick with tap water but Sydney tap water has been a little funny lately.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally I'd suggest to stick with tap water but Sydney tap water has been a little funny lately.
That's the thing, we've always drank water from the tap, but lately it's been smelling off or its not clear....

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends what you are after... Tap fitted, counter fitted, in fridge fitted..

Most of them the con is the filter costs. Also power costs on a standalone unit might be significant.

We just have a stack of bottles in the fridge with water in them :D
Yep, we're currently buying water bottles and stacking them in the also...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the thing, we've always drank water from the tap, but lately it's been smelling off or its not clear....
You may want to get a water test kit. May be lead or something in it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Brisbane water tastes odd. It's perfectly safe, but even people who have lived here all their lives say its ordinary.

A couple years ago i bought a couple of those Brita jugs for abut $30 each (one upstairs, one downstairs). Best investment i ever made. You just replace the filter every 3 months or so (about $8 a pop).

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane water tastes odd. It's perfectly safe, but even people who have lived here all their lives say its ordinary.

A couple years ago i bought a couple of those Brita jugs for abut $30 each (one upstairs, one downstairs). Best investment i ever made. You just replace the filter every 3 months or so (about $8 a pop).
Thanks CD!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol first world country problems

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Our area of late the water (if you run it hot) there's a noticable chlorine smell to it.

Yep, we're currently buying water bottles and stacking them in the also...
We just use sodastream bottles :D

That said I normally flavour the water, either with a few tea bags and leave 24/48 hours, or some cordial/syrup, or fresh fruit/mint, or just some fresh lemon in it.

We have water bottles (with brita filters), have had a few actually, but every 12-18 months the bastards change the shape of the charcoal filters and phase out the old ones. That's if they aren't leaking or the spout isn't becomming super disgusting and mouldy.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The one thing to keep in mind is that if you drink filtered water then you lose out on fluoride so just make sure you brush your teeth twice a day.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The one thing to keep in mind is that if you drink filtered water then you lose out on fluoride so just make sure you brush your teeth twice a day.

my dentist friend advises if you drink flouride free water you need to use flouride tooth paste and after brushing do not wash your mouth and let the tooth paste site on your teeth for 10 minutes before washing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but charcoal filtered water (like the filters BRITA and Bopple and others use) are unable to easily remove flouride from water. Only using a Reverse Osmosis filter can remove flouride?

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try boiling your water and store in whisky or wine bottles, in direct sunlight, apparently this is good!
~c.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Try boiling your water and store in whisky or wine bottles, in direct sunlight, apparently this is good!
~c.
LD, are you still in Singapore? I was very pleasantly surprised that I could drink tap water there.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but charcoal filtered water (like the filters BRITA and Bopple and others use) are unable to easily remove flouride from water. Only using a Reverse Osmosis filter can remove flouride?
Reverse osmosis is one way. There are other ways. A basic filter like a Brita is unlikely to remove fluoride due to its small chemical structure but the more expensive filters do. So it you go with a basic filter then it shouldn't be a problem but if you go with a more expensive filtration system (like the sink filtration systems) then you won't get fluoride.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
~c.
Or just drink whiskey. Sure you'll probably eventually die of dehydration but it'll be a fun journey.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LD, are you still in Singapore? I was very pleasantly surprised that I could drink tap water there.
Yup! Singapore .. and tap water is perfect here! It's a rare country in this region.
Although we still boil it.
~c.