Watching my Laptop on my TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any techies blokes / chicks out there to help me out?

I want to watch something live on my laptop on Sunday (from Holland of course) but prefer in on my TV (Plasma).

How do I hook it up & is it worth doing? Will the clarity be there or will it be snowing like no tomorrow.

Also for future events I have 2 Fox boxes in the house but not 1 in my garage (mrs wont let me). My garage has another plasma TV & its only 20m away from the house. Whats the best way to send the signal as I like to have a BBQ (not Maloney style), few beers & watch stuff from Holland?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also if it cant be done my brother has this little projector that hooks up via USB to a phone / laptop.

Maybe I do that but need decent sound.

How do I connect big sound to make it great?

No point watching stuff in Holland if I cant hear it!:grinning:

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also if it cant be done my brother has this little projector that hooks up via USB to a phone / laptop.

Maybe I do that but need decent sound.

How do I connect big sound to make it great?

No point watching stuff in Holland if I cant hear it!:grinning:
What type of PC do you have, if it's a mac you can invest in appletv for about $100
Works on all apple devices but I don't think it works with foxtel the smarties have done something to prevent you having multiple fox outlets on the one account
Or you can buy the connectors and hdmi cable for about the same if it's another device
The clarity using Apple TV varies how close you are to your modem
It's wireless so you expect those things
But it's not a big deal to connect any device via the hdmI outlets
It does impact on clarity
Do you have ADSL 2 ?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If it accepts HDMI (the laptop) that will output both video and sound from the laptop to the TV, you might need a DVI/VGA converter to something your TV accepts if the laptop doesn't have HDMI and in that case an audio output to speakers or your home entertainment system if one is present.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any techies blokes / chicks out there to help me out?

I want to watch something live on my laptop on Sunday (from Holland of course) but prefer in on my TV (Plasma).

How do I hook it up & is it worth doing? Will the clarity be there or will it be snowing like no tomorrow.

Also for future events I have 2 Fox boxes in the house but not 1 in my garage (mrs wont let me). My garage has another plasma TV & its only 20m away from the house. Whats the best way to send the signal as I like to have a BBQ (not Maloney style), few beers & watch stuff from Holland?
Redtube has some good stuff from holland
Does your laptop get good quality internet from the garage, otherwise sounds like a very long and expensive cable

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Redtube has some good stuff from holland
Does your laptop get good quality internet from the garage, otherwise sounds like a very long and expensive cable
Garage is to far for Holland unfortunately.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If it accepts HDMI (the laptop) that will output both video and sound from the laptop to the TV, you might need a DVI/VGA converter to something your TV accepts if the laptop doesn't have HDMI and in that case an audio output to speakers or your home entertainment system if one is present.
Laptop has HDMI & Im pretty sure Plasma TV has HDMI as well. Do I just run a cable between both & bang Dutch Bulldogs from Holland are on?

What the **** is a DVI/VGA anyway?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im happy to get the cables but will the picture quality be any good?
HDMI should be pretty good it just depends on how good your TV is and the Holland site you are using haha.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im happy to get the cables but will the picture quality be any good?
Picture quality will be in HD if you use a HDMI cable.

Quality of video however depends on video itself.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Picture quality will be in HD if you use a HDMI cable.

Quality of video however depends on video itself.
I got a link last year & the quality was ok but only on a small screen. Hopefully the new link is much better. If not I will keep watching on the laptop.

Neighbors think I'm nuts screaming at my laptop though!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got a link last year & the quality was ok but only on a small screen. Hopefully the new link is much better. If not I will keep watching on the laptop.

Neighbors think I'm nuts screaming at my laptop though!
It'll be almost identical to what you saw on your laptop. However if you say quality was okay don't expect TV quality picture that's for sure.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It'll be almost identical to what you saw on your laptop. However if you say quality was okay don't expect TV quality picture that's for sure.
**** Foxtel & 9 as they should show what I want to see live, stuff from Holland of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.