Warming coach's seat not such a bad thing, Stone reassures Dymock

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IF JIM DYMOCK is the new Rick Stone, then Stone reckons it's not such a bad thing. Dymock will warm the head coaching seat at Canterbury next year while the club awaits the arrival of Des Hasler in 2013.

There is an obvious parallel with the situation at Newcastle. Stone was told mid-season he would be making way for Wayne Bennett, regardless of what he achieved in 2011.

Stone took the blow with dignity and did not allow it to distract the team, which won a berth in the finals, pushing Melbourne in the opening week of the play-offs.

''Any time you get an opportunity to put yourself in the shop window to coach in first grade it is one worth having a crack at, if that's your passion,'' Stone said. ''I know with Jimmy that's something he wants to do.

'' As far as NRL experience is concerned I'm relatively young, and to have an experienced campaigner like Wayne Bennett [to learn from], there's no reason you can't be a better coach by the time you finish that.

''Deep down, you'd love to be the top dog but you've got an [opportunity] that will hopefully [be] beneficial to you long term.''

The Bulldogs' situation is a first: no club has flagged their coaching intentions so far out, but Stone believes their commitment to Dymock can make it work. ''The good part about Canterbury's position is they've come out and said they want Jimmy to be a part of their coaching staff [long term].

''I know he's universally liked at the club. He can put a bit of his stamp on the team and still have a major influence and be a great offsider for Des [Hasler] when he comes.''

Stone saw his situation as a chance to demonstrate his ability to coach at the top level.

''You can show how you handle yourself, in the media as well as how your team plays; the sort of composure you need to have when you're a head coach,'' he said.

While Bennett will run the show for the next four years, he has assured Stone his input is valued. ''Most head coaches use their assistants extensively these days,'' Stone said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ures-dymock-20111015-1lqd8.html#ixzz1arTTxXnb

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i agree keeping the coach seat warm is not such a bad thing

but when the real coach arrives and wants his seat, that is a bad thing

no matter how much dymock wants to play Mr nice guy to the media, he will be pissed off when it happens

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score

no matter how much dymock wants to play Mr nice guy to the media, he will be pissed off when it happens
agreed

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score

Agreed.

Saying this; in the end, he can't really complain, being a RL coach is a privilege that only a selected few get an opportunity at.The CBB organisation is putting a lot of money on the coach to succeed so you can see how the administration are thinking.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agreed.

Saying this; in the end, he can't really complain, being a RL coach is a privilege that only a selected few get an opportunity at.The CBB organisation is putting a lot of money on the coach to succeed so you can see how the administration are thinking.
no, not at all

we should continue to take long term risks with rookie coaches, as opposed to short term rookie coach and long term top coach of the last 5 years

:p

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Ummm sorry Rodzilla, its not a bad thing. He's got a massive opportunity in front of him. If he wants a full time gig for the following year, he needs to show he can handle anything and he has 1 year now, much better than what other coaches are getting with no NRL coaching job.

Why look at it from a negative point of view? If he didnt want it, he could have taken the easy way out and said **** it, i dont want only 1 year. Taking the job shows he is a true professional. Now he needs to show he can run the show for the whole season and not just 7/8 rounds.

If he does that, he will give himself every chance of coaching in the NRL with another team in 2013 or get as much knowledge from Des Hasler until he does get top dog.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
^ I agree with Hansta's post but really Dymock would not have a choice. There really was no other alternative for him besides quitting but I do think it is a better opportunity for him compared with his position as assistant coach.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Lets face it, coaches get sacked all the time. An availability would be made available sooner or later.

The only safe positions in 2013 seasons are:

Knights
Bulldogs
Storm
Tigers
Panthers
Manly (Theyll give Toovey every chance to prosper)
Souths (Cant see McGuire getting the flick)

If the coaches at the Sharks, Raiders, Eels, Nth Qld, Roosters dont perform they could be on the way out.

Dymock needs to impress them. If he does that, its only a formality that he will be approached.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Ummm sorry Rodzilla, its not a bad thing. He's got a massive opportunity in front of him. If he wants a full time gig for the following year, he needs to show he can handle anything and he has 1 year now, much better than what other coaches are getting with no NRL coaching job.

Why look at it from a negative point of view? If he didnt want it, he could have taken the easy way out and said **** it, i dont want only 1 year. Taking the job shows he is a true professional. Now he needs to show he can run the show for the whole season and not just 7/8 rounds.

If he does that, he will give himself every chance of coaching in the NRL with another team in 2013 or get as much knowledge from Des Hasler until he does get top dog.
are you blind? i said that its not a bad thing

check your eyes at opsm ffs

i think what would make it a bad thing is if he has a good season but not a great season, that way there might not be offers to coach elsewhere and he must continue in the assistant role but at the same time he had shown that he is fully capable

if he has a great year he will move on and if he has a bad year he will accept that he wasnt the man to go forward

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
are you blind? i said that its not a bad thing

check your eyes at opsm ffs

i think what would make it a bad thing is if he has a good season but not a great season, that way there might not be offers to coach elsewhere and he must continue in the assistant role but at the same time he had shown that he is fully capable

if he has a great year he will move on and if he has a bad year he will accept that he wasnt the man to go forward
Ummm i read it exactly right lol?

Even if he wins the GF its still not a bad thing. Its the perfect thing to be on his CV

i Disagreed to this:

No OPSM needed :p

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
I think the club is in good shape and I am very excited about the next few years. Almost anything was better than holding on to Moore. lol.

Dymocks future is Dymocks business and he said he's cool with it!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Ummm i read it exactly right lol?

Even if he wins the GF its still not a bad thing. Its the perfect thing to be on his CV

i Disagreed to this:

No OPSM needed :p
again you missed where i agreed that a gf win is not a bad thing

let me clarify

for dymock if he has a goodish season (3rd-8th and preliminary final or lower), and he has to take a backseat and is stuck there then it is bad for him

anything else either way and his feeling range from "woot woot im still going to be a first grade coach but elsewhere" to "oh ok i wasnt good enough"

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
let's not forget des' feelings in all this. do you think he'll like sitting in a freshly warmed seat? i always find it vaguely creepy

Status
Not open for further replies.