Walsh next in Knights' No.7 line

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittbull

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Daniel Lane | May 20, 2007

NSW Origin boom boy Jarrod Mullen's days as Newcastle's halfback are numbered.

The Knights are grooming yet another talented 20-year-old - Luke Walsh - to push Mullen back to his preferred position at five-eighth.

He's already received a public endorsement from Newcastle coach Brian Smith, who described Walsh to a group of schoolchildren during the Knights' pre-season tour of the Queensland outback as one of the most talented young players he'd seen.

He said all Walsh needed to do was bulk up. Talent is not an issue. Walsh (at halfback) and Mullen (five-eighth) were the halves combination for the NSW under-19 squad lasy year after coming through Newcastle West junior teams together. It was suggested that Walsh might play first grade when Andrew Johns struggled with the neck problem that led to his retirement.

The Knights were concerned about the way Mullen at halfback and Kurt Gidley at pivot were gelling. However, any chance he may have had to play first grade was dashed by a leg injury that sidelined him for eight weeks.

While Walsh returned in the premier league match against the Dragons at Wollongong on Friday night, Knights development officer Warren Smiles was reluctant to say too much about the club's latest protege. "He's being assessed," he said.

Source: The Sun-Herald
SPONSORED LINKS

Looks like the Knights arn't going to let him go any time soon.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs Should Go For Him Because Ive Heard Big Things About This Kid. He Will Be A Future Star.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
we should go after him...

mullens and gidley half combo is going ok for the knaughts

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
hopefully we get him, he is currently on 50k i think, and the knights will be willing to give him more since we are after him, we offered him 100-120k i think we can offer him more though if Utai leaves, im not sure if our club would give him more than 150k for his first year at the club though.

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
hopefully we get him, he is currently on 50k i think, and the knights will be willing to give him more since we are after him, we offered him 100-120k i think we can offer him more though if Utai leaves, im not sure if our club would give him more than 150k for his first year at the club though.
why not sign him on a $600k over 3yr contract and he's never played fg and call him the next joey johns?

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we could pull it off this would almost make up for some of the players we have let go.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
is he really small or something? The article says he needed to put on some weight...

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
lol meh why go for him when we we have shifty and dj
when the club showed interest in signing Welsh, the first thing that entered my mind is that shifty would be leaving at the end of this season, otherwise there is no reason for going after a halfback.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
when the club showed interest in signing Welsh, the first thing that entered my mind is that shifty would be leaving at the end of this season, otherwise there is no reason for going after a halfback.
Or Roberts is gone and Shifty only has another yr?

T

tallis12

Broncos should pounce on him but Wanka wielder said we are lookin at Wallace.:grinning:

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Or Roberts is gone and Shifty only has another yr?
possibly, thats another option also i guess.
shifty's contract with the dogs is until 2008, and roberts has not re-signed, i spoke to roberts about a month ago and he seemed happy at the club, i think he will re-sign.

T

tallis12

possibly, thats another option also i guess.
shifty's contract with the dogs is until 2008, and roberts has not re-signed, i spoke to roberts about a month ago and he seemed happy at the club, i think he will re-sign.
If i where the doggies i would resign him.:grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.