Wakeham to wear number 7

Dog’n’Bone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep because that's exactly what my context was and we're comparing apples to apples right?

Ffs
yes we are as we’re comparing 2 young blokes who are supremely talented and are ready for first grade football as we speak. If you’re good enough you’re old enough bud

did u see BBO’s work in first grade last year? have u seen his work on the training paddock lately?

if anything we will be stunting his development by tossing him back to reserve grade!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
yes we are as we’re comparing 2 young blokes who are supremely talented and are ready for first grade football as we speak. If you’re good enough you’re old enough bud

did u see BBO’s work in first grade last year? have u seen his work on the training paddock lately?

if anything we will be stunting his development by tossing him back to reserve grade!
You might want to go back and read and pay attention to the order of posts and quoted posts.

I replied to your assertion that if averillo fails in season 2022 that we should get rid of him, and you replied to this. Again context. What I said has nothing to do with BBO.

Dog’n’Bone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You might want to go back and read and pay attention to the order of posts and quoted posts.

I replied to your assertion that if averillo fails in season 2022 that we should get rid of him, and you replied to this. Again context. What I said has nothing to do with BBO.
ok bud let’s pretend u didn’t say this then in response to bulldog1966 suggestion of BBO starting in the halves;

I just think it's too much pressure, especially when you consider the circumstances surrounding the club. There's a possibility we could ruin his development by throwing him in at this stage

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I see your point and your possibly right, though i think BBO is potentially better than Wakeham as a halfback and Avo isn't really a half? so while it may work but yes has risk(s)
Potentially is the key word. He isn't ready for fulltime fg. Maybe off the bench at best. Hopefully now we have more troops we won't have to throw these guys in the deep end. They can develop normally through the grades.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

How do we know BBO is good enough? Between COVID and injuries he hasn't played much footy the last couple of seasons.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Potentially is the key word. He isn't ready for fulltime fg. Maybe off the bench at best. Hopefully now we have more troops we won't have to throw these guys in the deep end. They can develop normally through the grades.
Yep i get this and you may be right for the 7 but he is ready for FG has already showed that no? Is a problematic issue no doubt, hopefully Gus and Baz make the right call because i have said it before i can see him fucking off somewhere else ie the Pilchards...

Dog’n’Bone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How do we know BBO is good enough? Between COVID and injuries he hasn't played much footy the last couple of seasons.
look at his touches last year. Like a duck to water and he was playing out of position. he’s training the house down at the minute. Outside of Burton he’s better than all of our alternative options in just about every aspect of halves play.

i will actually be stunned if he’s not our halfback r1. Avo can play Centre or from the bench

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
ok bud let’s pretend u didn’t say this then in response to bulldog1966 suggestion of BBO starting in the halves;
See this screenshot below? My post is a comment on you saying we should sack averillo if he doesn't play well in 1st grade. You've somehow interpreted this to be about BBO.

Screenshot_20211217-011250_Chrome.jpg

Again my initial comment in the above screenshot was NOT in reference to BBO

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Think he showed he is good enough for FG in the cameos late last year but as our 7 now? who knows .. hopefully Gus/baz do.
Yeah he showed glimpses of brilliance, I'm a big believer but we have no data on him as a first grade halfback. With such a new team and a guy we're hoping turns into a superstar #6 also developing, why rush BBO?

Dog’n’Bone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
See this screenshot below? My post is a comment on you saying we should sack averillo if he doesn't play well in 1st grade. You've somehow interpreted this to be about BBO.

View attachment 35672

Again my initial comment in the above screenshot was NOT in reference to BBO
all of these are directly linked to your assertion that BBO (who is clearly first grade ready) will be ruined if picked in first grade, which I have already taken you to task on. Stop shifting the goal posts

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
look at his touches last year. Like a duck to water and he was playing out of position. he’s training the house down at the minute. Outside of Burton he’s better than all of our alternative options in just about every aspect of halves play.

i will actually be stunned if he’s not our halfback r1. Avo can play Centre or from the bench
He's definitely not our halfback come round 1 so prepare yourself. He didn't even play well in the halves and looked a fair bit better at hooker, defensively he was also poor defending on an edge compared to the middle.

There's no need to rush him, he will get an opportunity at some point and if he doesn't then it means we're doing well. The 7 is far from a simple role for us and at this stage throwing in another inexperienced kid is just asking for trouble.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah he looked sharp and instinctive but he's still raw and fairly untested against men. He has a huge ceiling and I truly want him to be our long-term 7 but there's no need to rush him.

If he's as good as you and I both hope he is, then let him destroy the competition in NSW Cup and demand selection.

Prepare to be disappointed RE: 1st round selection (at halfback anyway).

Averillo has incumbency and did an admirable job in difficult circumstances.

I doubt Baz has given up on Flanagan and his goalkicking and theoretical skillset probably gives him an inside lane for selection.

Wakeham has the most polished game out of all of them and can probably play a second fiddle role next to Burton better then the other options.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo will be another Mbye. Jack of all trades, king of none. His position is centre. Chuck him there and see how he goes. He’s lucky he’s come through when we’ve been so shit.
Averillo has looked better in the halves than burto has at training in the opposed sessions tbh.. has even worked on his short kicking game and has no problem with repeat sets. Now it is just training and he can have a whinge about niggly injuries but at 21 and still growing wouldn't count out a break out season for the kid in the next couple of years. Until then he is worth toiling with before giving up on and u only have to look at kids like Hughes to realise these things.

I would say the same about Okunbor too. Both looking good and ready to go.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like this but I just don't know what it means for the outside backs because Averillo is too good for NSW Cup as we saw last year. He scored pretty much all our tries and set them up too. Averillo from that video is looking solid too.

1 Dufty 2 JAC (LW) 3 Averillo (RC) 4 Schoupp (LC) 5 Naden (RW) 6 Burton 7 Wakeham 8 Thommo 9 Cook 10 Vaughan 11 Hetherington 12 TPJ 13 Jacko 14 BBO 15 Patolo 16 Ava/King`17 Stimson/Turahui