Voluntary Tackle

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

Now, i'm a league fan but definably not a rule expert, but i ask this question: Is the voluntary tackle rule still a thing?

About halfway through the first half, Averillo kicks to the left corner (right side for the defence), and a Penriff player (can't recall who) picks it up and jumps on the ground before the defence gets there. I'm sure that should be considered a voluntary tackle?

(Not saying this as a one eyed Dogs man. I can't actually recall when I last heard a player being penalised for a voluntary tackle!).

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a voluntary tackle if the player gets up and plays the ball and no one lays a hand on him. But I agree.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Now, i'm a league fan but definably not a rule expert, but i ask this question: Is the voluntary tackle rule still a thing?

About halfway through the first half, Averillo kicks to the left corner (right side for the defence), and a Penriff player (can't recall who) picks it up and jumps on the ground before the defence gets there. I'm sure that should be considered a voluntary tackle?

(Not saying this as a one eyed Dogs man. I can't actually recall when I last heard a player being penalised for a voluntary tackle!).
As far as I remember you can't voluntarily tackle yourself otherwise it was a penalty, but they probably just let that rule slide until they feel like using it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's still a rule, and if nobody lays a hand on them it is a penalty.

I last saw that rule enacted in 1966 against a Souths reserve grade fullback.

Referees will not rule on it these days; but if you push the player into the in goal, they'll penalise you. Go figure.