Video Ref MBYE no try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[h=1]After more mistakes on Friday night, NRL video referee would be funny if it wasn’t so painful[/h]

CBY v SYD: Match report
2:27

WATCHING the big screen at ANZ Stadium on Friday night waiting for video refereeing decisions was like watching an old John Cleese movie.

Hysterical madness.
But if you are a Bulldogs fan you might have a very different feeling.

On a night when the Dogs were without four Origin players, including the Blues’ halves combination of Trent Hodkinson and Josh Reynolds, one thing they could not afford was to have fair tries denied.

The Bulldogs can do nothing after Sonny Bill Williams extends the Roosters’ lead.Source: Getty Images

How in the world the video referees Steve Chiddy and Luke Phillips didn’t overrule referee Ashley Klein’s onfield “no try” ruling when Moses Mbye touched down in the 12th minute defies belief.
That the Roosters eventually ran away with a 32-12 victory does not excuse the fact the Mybe ruling went against what every fan watching the game would have thought.

Every independent fan at least.
In fairness Klein can be excused for making the mistake because he makes his decision on the run. But there is simply no excuse for the video referees getting it so wrong.

Referee Ashley Klein awards Mitch Brown after a clear try.Source: Getty Images

After watching replay after replay of the put down the screen eventually flashed up red for the “no try”.
In the context of the final score it might not seem like a big deal. But at that point of the game last night it was crucial.
Instead of having a try scored against them the Roosters survived and scored five minutes later.
In the box Chiddy explained his decision saying there was “some separation on grounding”.
Every fair-minded footy fan will tell you otherwise.
All in brawl at the footy
1:15

In the media box the place exploded in laughter because we have seen it happen so many times before.
But out the front of our box it was a very different feeling among the loyal Bulldogs fans.
This is where the NRL has to get it through their heads that this problem that should have been corrected before now.
Because it will end up costing teams bigger games than last night as the season goes on.
The fact the referee has to make a call “try” or “no try” even when he doesn’t have a clue is where the problem starts.

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman leaves the field after a tough loss for Canterbury.Source: Getty Images

What it means is that the video ref then has to find “sufficient” evidence to overturn the decision, which only puts more pressure on the men inside the box.
When the former referees’ boss Daniel Anderson first came to power at the beginning of last season one of the first promises he made was that “common sense” was going to come into the equation on try decisions.
But here were are, with Anderson back working in Club Land at Parramatta and Tony Archer the new refs’ boss, and still video referee disasters seem to dominate discussions on almost a weekly basis.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Paul Crawley take a bow.

Brilliant article.

Unbias, to the point, and well written.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
If I saw this journo I'd give him a hug. Round of applause.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They have to interview all refs and ask them u they make ****ed up choices

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah great article but seriously something will need to be done about this it can't keep happening

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone look me in the eye and tell me that prick is not corrupt?

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone tell me where Ashley Klein lives pls properly in rooster hen house.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Paul Crawley take a bow.

Brilliant article.

Unbias, to the point, and well written.
That decision had such a huge impact on the outcome of the match.
We needed to play from in front, given our attack firing on 3 cylinders tonight.
Even if then CHOOKS went on to score the next 10 points our next score puts us back in front at half time by 4 points perhaps, and then our next try puts us back in FRONT again with a spring in our step with 15 or so so minutes to go!
Disgraceful, they need to at least come out and admit their ****ing mistake, and then get dropped. ****ing disgraceful!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That decision had such a huge impact on the outcome of the match.
We needed to play from in front, given our attack firing on 3 cylinders tonight.
Even if then CHOOKS went on to score the next 10 points our next score puts us back in front at half time by 4 points perhaps, and then our next try puts us back in FRONT again with a spring in our step with 15 or so so minutes to go!
Disgraceful, they need to at least come out and admit their ****ing mistake, and then get dropped. ****ing disgraceful!
I think it really set the tone for the match and got to the boys (momentum shift big time)

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The thing that hurts the most is Mbye was denied his first try, he put in 100% to get that ball down and he deserved that moment.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The refs taking the piss again. I wonder how much money they had on the game?

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing that hurts the most is Mbye was denied his first try, he put in 100% to get that ball down and he deserved that moment.
I felt the same at the time (and still do). It was a wonderful effort which he should have been rewarded for, but wasn't.

Crawley is spot on. It starts with this ridiculous system the NRL have where the video refs have to find conclusive proof to overturn it, yet where was this proof in the minichiello try? Pretty sure it was ruled no try on field, but overturned.

Just go back to the old system where the video ref makes a ruling and if they can't, it goes to refs call. 9 times out of 10 the video ref has a better view.

I knew that Mbye's try was going to be denied because it was ruled no try by Klein. If he had of ruled the other way, I don't think it would have been overturned.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
WTF? An unbiased reporter without obvious hate for us?

The end is near people lol

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive seen more contentious situations that get a try awarded - how is it not a try, there was downward pressure fmd

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They could of made more with our odds lol
Not if they had bet a week ago when the odds were the opposite.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm still pissed over this decision, whether it made a difference to the end result or not. I officially have no idea as a fan what it takes for a TRY to be a TRY any more.

If that was at the end of the game and the Roosters were winning by 30 they'd have given it a TRY guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.