News Versatility gets Harawira-Naera the nod over Martin

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we lose 2 of our first 3 and the likes of C Smith, Martin and Ogden don’t then get a shot, I will be re-assessing my support for Pay. C Smith and Martin should be in the 17 for Rd 1 in my view.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our greatest strength is almost like our biggest weakness. So stacked with forwards that the guys that miss out are probably just as deserving as a shot.

Ogden did nothing wrong with his chance at the end of the year. Chris Smith would be the perfect impact forward to shake up the opposition. Just give him a red bull and give him 15 mins to flatten the opposition with big runs and huge hits. Martin would almost feel hard done by to miss out (even though I do agree CNH is a more complete player) and apart from RFM I think the rest of the back rowers would play close to 80.

Fualalo has been a work in progress for a few years. Hopefully he has a break out this season.

I honestly don’t like JMK on the bench. If it is for 10 mins to relieve lichaa I’d rather someone else. I feel he failed to fire and don’t see why he is so favoured. Has no control of the game. Takes the wrong options. Isn’t exactly a young up and comer and apart from his scrambling defence I haven’t really been impressed enough to think he deserves a spot ahead of players like Martin, Smith, Ogden who have made impacts in limited opportunities.

I guess just more motivation for the guys that missed out to prove themselves and hopefully with impressive performances they can knock on the door for a top 17 birth in the coming weeks.

But happy with the look of the pack and happy with the players given the chance to play. Hope like it was reported it’s based on attitude and performances and not on favouritism.
RFM played 80 in most of the games last year ...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me his biggest issue was errors. He seems to have gotten that out of his game more. But I'm also a big fan of Ogden... and Tualalo.. and Chris Smith... and Martin. Too many good forwards. Again Deano, why did you buy CHN?
Forward planning in my opinion. Plenty of players will be off contract. So the time to buy guns is when they are available if you see big merit in them. If great backs were available while our recruitment drive was on maybe we'd have stocked up the backline. But not much was on offer at decent prices. I think plenty of forwards were off contract while our recruitment drive was on. So they would have been cheaper according to the laws of supply and demand.

We don't want to be the team in bidding wars for the one or two guns in one position when bigger all else is available or we have to pay overs. Let's just hope he shines.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RFM played 80 in most of the games last year ...
From what I remember he was very sloppy on defence late in games. I’d be happier with 65-70 mins of impact then silly handling errors or missed tackles due to fatigue, just to get 80 mins out of him.

And with so much young and quality players do we really need 80 mins from Jackson, Elliot and RFM?

Not having a go at you. And not a fanboy. But Martin did have what 24-26 points in a game last year? And I’d still have Chris Smith ahead of him. So just shows the quality of depth. Even Ogden who I see as a young Asotasi will start in reserve grade.

And then you have CNH who would probably be one of the better back rowers at the club (no disrespect to Jackson who is an amazing player) who will probably start on the bench? Behind Elliot and RFM.

I’m all for the team that will run out on Saturday and hope they’ll get the job done and we are competitive in every game (like the back end of the season). But if RFM is playing 80mins a game I think our rotation and coach is a bit off the mark.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I remember he was very sloppy on defence late in games. I’d be happier with 65-70 mins of impact then silly handling errors or missed tackles due to fatigue, just to get 80 mins out of him.

And with so much young and quality players do we really need 80 mins from Jackson, Elliot and RFM?

Not having a go at you. And not a fanboy. But Martin did have what 24-26 points in a game last year? And I’d still have Chris Smith ahead of him. So just shows the quality of depth. Even Ogden who I see as a young Asotasi will start in reserve grade.

And then you have CNH who would probably be one of the better back rowers at the club (no disrespect to Jackson who is an amazing player) who will probably start on the bench? Behind Elliot and RFM.

I’m all for the team that will run out on Saturday and hope they’ll get the job done and we are competitive in every game (like the back end of the season). But if RFM is playing 80mins a game I think our rotation and coach is a bit off the mark.
As a general rule most teams like to have 80min back rowers so they can churn and burn in the front row rotation..
Rhyse martin had some solid games last year, but RFM is a far superior back rower. And your assessment of RFM's late game performance is slightly skewed to fit your narrative. he was one of our best before he was injured last year. Not having a go or anything either and I'm not a fanboy..

I would like to see Rhyse Martin in the team on goal kicking ability alone.. For mine he provides more value than Elliot.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why Why Why is JMK still in this lineup? He offers little to nothing for mine to hold a bench spot and keep someone else out who is likely to offer more impact.
He isn't quick enough to be injected to run at holes near tiring forwards and his defense isnt as good as Lichaas.

I'm a fan of Ogden coming through for Fualalo and C. Smith or Martin for JMKs spot.
We have versatility to cover injuries if necessary

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fualolo
Elliot
Lichaa
Montoya

All shouldn’t be in the 17
Much better players here at our club
Yet all 4 are in fg this week
Go figure
Agree except for Elliot

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My bench and forward pack would comprise of;

8. Napa
9. Nu brown
10. Tolman
11. Martin
12. Rfm
13. Jackson

14. Sue
15. Chn
16. Ogden
17. Meaney

Reactions: GDR

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11/versatility-gets-corey-harawira-naera-the-nod-over-rhyse-martin/

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson has praised the versatility, work ethic and competitiveness of recruit Corey Harawira-Naera, who is set to tip breakout 2018 star Rhyse Martin out of an NRL jersey in coach Dean Pay's round one team to face the Warriors.

Jackson said that with himself and fit-again Kiwi Test forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner eyeing off probable 80-minute roles as edge forwards, the team's round one bench would feature two props, one utility and the ex-Panther, who can cover back row, centre and prop.

"There's been good competition over the pre-season and it lifts the intensity of the sessions so it's been great," Jackson told NRL.com.

"The way it will look this weekend, we'll have Adam [Elliott] starting at lock, Ray and myself on the edges, Aiden [Tolman] and [Dylan] Napa starting up front then we'll have Jesse [Sue], Corey, Danny [Fualalo] and Jeremy Marshall-King on the bench.

"Corey's been great for us and he's a really handy player to have because he can play anywhere on the field. He can play on the edge, he can play in the centres, he can play in the middle of the field too so he's got really good versatility."

Bulldogs forward Corey Harawira-Naera. ©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The reduction in interchanges in recent years meant the way coaches used their benches has evolved, he added.

"With eight interchanges, you want to rotate your middles and leave your edges out there for as long as possible," he said.

"That's why [Harawira-Naera] is good, he's a very selfless player, he'll play in the middle even though he hasn't played there too much before. I'd imagine that will be his role unless there's some injuries.

"He's been fantastic, his training has been really good, he's a real skilful player. Watching him in the Canberra trial he's very physical as well so that's probably where Deano got the idea to throw him in the middle. He was hitting pretty hard. He's going to have a big year for us.

"I think that's probably a strength of ours is our forward pack and trying to play them through the middle."

Jackson also had plenty of praise for another recruit, former Wests Tigers prop Sauaso 'Jesse' Sue, who had earned himself a spot in his new club's leadership group in an impressive first pre-season at Belmore.

"We're really happy to get Jess on board," Jackson said.

"We knew the quality of the player. Playing against him I knew how tough he was and how hard he is to handle, the way he trains, he's flat stick at everything he does, never whinges about anything, just gets the job done.

"He's in our leadership group and going to be a great leader for us. I think he's going to have a big year."

Pressed on any further surprises to the round one team, Jackson hinted that the right edge combination he formed with Kerrod Holland and Reimis Smith last year may get a revamp.

"There might be a few changes but I'll keep those up my sleeve," he smiled.

"The last six weeks of [2018] we started getting those combinations together and found a good style of footy that works for us and we've built on that the whole pre-season. It's a lot less structured to how we started last year and really suits us a lot better I think. The focus is more on building combinations with your edge."

As to whether a fit-again Kieran Foran would slot straight in for the departed Matt Frawley on the right edge, Jackson said it would be dictated more by a style of play that would hand the reins to Lachlan Lewis and allow Foran to return to his running-focused style that brought so much success in his time at Manly.

"Lewy will play on the ball and direct the team a bit more and that will leave Foz to run the ball and have a bit more freedom," Jackson said.

"I think Foz's greatest strength is his running game and his ability to take on the line. When he was playing last year before he got injured he was on the ball trying to direct the whole team but I think that's Lachie's strength, he's really good at directing the team and he really enjoys doing it as well. That will be his role this year."
Looks good on paper....
But someone we will need to be a battering ram, Tolman and Napa won't be !!!
As boring as he is, Fualalo fits the bill...???