Utility Role Has To Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Wrote this on the back of another thread stating that Rod Griffin should get a run now that space has opened up with the Reynolds injury.

I believe this is a thread worthy topic as the value in a utility has increased immeasurably because of the concussion rule.

Losing your only hooker, 5/8 or no. 7 during a game is big mountain to climb, especially if you are chasing points. I believe the biggest value in a utility is one that can cover the halves AND hooker.

We only need one that can cover the halves because Mbye already has the ability to cover both.

If we are resting Lichaa and/or still shuffling Mbye around I would suggest bringing in Josh Cleeland.

However there is another option in which we could bring an outside back into the team like Sharks did with Beale. That would allow us to bring Montoya back into the fold which would not be a bad option either.
Most of the other backline players are versatile enough and could move to accomodate Montoya on the wing if needed.

Thoughts?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like the idea of us carrying an outside back considering we a really fucked when we lose one during the game like we saw against the Roosters.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Graham, Tolman, Jackson and Elliot have showed they're all capable of playing 80min. Even Klemmer is fit and capable of playing ridiculously good minutes.

There is no reason to carry so many damn forwards on the bench. 3 is more than enough! We lost that Roosters game on the back of having to change 50 positions for an injured winger!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Another option would be a backrower with some pace and agility to cover centre.

That way if nothing goes wrong you can still punch home the forwards advantage.

This type of player would have to be able to read centre defence and there arent many around with all those attributes that I can think of. Certainly not in our club. Asepeli Fine would be the closest.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd prefer to see a dangerous edge forward take the spot. (RFM anyone?)
With mbye, and jacko we have the versatility to cover injuries in most positions.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No need for a utility.. our props play spine positions as it is

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
an option would be Abbey, but he would get limited game time to work on his deficiencies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Rfm needs to get a go it's a fucking joke what haslers done with him
What's he done with him apart from blood him into FG? It was Des that recruited him. It was Des that has been working on him. It is Des that doesn't think he is quite ready yet which is why he is the backup benchie. He'll get his turn and it is up to him to show he merits more time. There is no way he is currently a better player than the ones in front of him - not even Eastwood. Elliott showed how it is done. RFM needs to do the same when his chance comes during Origin.

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't Wally Lewis have a nephew that plays for us ? And isn't he a utility 5/8-7

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't Wally Lewis have a nephew that plays for us ? And isn't he a utility 5/8-7
Yes, but he may still be injured. He's only a skinny thing so FG might be a bit steep for him until he grows some more.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Utility role is just popular at the moment, just carry a faster than average edge running forward on the bench.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Having a utility on the bench is pretty handy, and given we only use the last man on the bench for very short minutes usually it seems like good insurance against in game injuries, but, I'd only want that utility to be there if they where genuinely good enough to earn a spot.

Don't think Rod Griffin is the answer for a bench spot, the guy is 30, there is no future development to be gained by bringing him in to the FG squad. Our bench is pretty packed at this point anyway, not sure there is room for anyone else on the list unless they really kick the door down chasing a spot.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
i know he's no the greatest, but Lewis Brown would provide that cover with no need for a back. Players like him Taylor and Halatau are pretty valuable when injury strikes... Should just shed more players and sign Peachey :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.