Unwanted Canterbury Bulldog Lloyd Perrett aiming to fulfil potential at Manly Sea Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
August 12, 2017 8:33am
Subscriber only
YOU don’t have tell Lloyd Perrett about the perils and the pain of being shopped around as a player.

Perrett lived the unnerving experience during his final season at the Bulldogs last year.

He says the uncertainty of being unwanted impacted his football and confidence.

“The frustrating part is you look like a horrible player,” Perrett told The Saturday Telegraph.

“Because your name is getting shopped around and you are thinking people will think you are not very good.

“The club doesn’t want me, but then it’s all out in the open it’s a relief that you get to show something.

“But there were plenty of times when it was happening with me where I was like, I’m sick of this and I just want it to end.”

Perrett is now in a happy place at Manly, but it hasn’t stopped him from thinking about his former Canterbury teammates.

The combination of a disappointing season and battles with the salary cap has resulted in a number of Bulldogs players being shopped around.

Lloyd Perrett is happier at the Sea Eagles but wants to lift his game. Pic: AAP
And they are big names too, including captain James Graham, the Morris twins, Moses Mbye and Greg Eastwood.

In the lead-up to Manly’s round 24 clash against Canterbury next Sunday, Perrett says he’ll reach out to any Bulldogs player facing an uncertain future.

“If any of those blokes are going through that I might give them a call to see how they are doing,” he said.

“I’m still mates with most of them. I talk to Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who I think has been outstanding for them. I’ve been talking to him because he has been a bit frustrated with how they are going and I guess how he is used.

“A lot of them are leaving, which is pretty interesting.

“I know they are looking to move some players on, because it’s a cut-throat industry and if you are not performing you get brushed.

“They haven’t performed this year, so it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them have to leave.”

Form aside, Perrett says being shopped around severely impacts concentration.

“It didn’t help keeping my mind on the job,” he said.

“When I was at training it wasn’t as fun and it took the love out of it.

“Another player I know went through a similar thing said to me it took the flame out of the game for him. He just didn’t love it anymore and he hoped it didn’t happen to me.

“Luckily I’m here (at Manly) playing some good footy and having fun.”

Perrett has been one of the success stories of Manly’s surprise rise up the ladder this season.

But the 22-year-old is far from satisfied with his 10 top grade appearances for the Sea Eagles.

RFM comments to Perret interesting did Perret just throw him under the bus

Last edited:
Reactions: GDR

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hahaha RFM isn't happy. Good old slip of the tounge by Perret. I don't doubt it for a second.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if he's banished by super coach now. Perrett should keep private discussion private because he hasn't helped RFM.
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out that sitting on the bench for 75 or 80 minutes wouldn't make a player happy

But then again we are talking about des

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out that sitting on the bench for 75 or 80 minutes wouldn't make a player happy

But then again we are talking about des
Tbh, I think Hasler has no idea. And he expects everyone to conform to his thinking, anyone who speaks out won't be well received. You can see that from what Perrett has said and what we all know.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tbh, I think Hasler has no idea. And he expects everyone to conform to his thinking, anyone who speaks out won't be well received. You can see that from what Perrett has said and what we all know.
Perrett said in a previous article that Des told him to just tackle and take hitups lol. At Manly he's encouraged to do the things that got him to firstgrade and he's enjoying his footy again because off it.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These players are starting to sound like some of the English Premier League prima donnas. They want to be coddled by the coach.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fuck Lloyd Perrett! Lloyd who?? why are we discussing this loser on the Bulldogs discussions and not Rugby league in general?? another quality thread lol.... I go over seas for a week and hope there is some improvement in the quality of threads BUT! nope....not so. just more shit being fed to our friends the media lol

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perrett said in a previous article that Des told him to just tackle and take hitups lol. At Manly he's encouraged to do the things that got him to firstgrade and he's enjoying his footy again because off it.
Really??? you don't say! lol

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fuck Lloyd Perrett! Lloyd who?? why are we discussing this loser on the Bulldogs discussions and not Rugby league in general?? another quality thread lol.... I go over seas for a week and hope there is some improvement in the quality of threads BUT! nope....not so. just more shit being fed to our friends the media lol
You constantly accuse others of overzealous criticism of our coach but you are just as guilty in your constant defence of him. Why would you expect for one second that the tone of threads on here would change after what we again dished up on Thursday night? Someone has to take responsibility for our alarming decline. I would expect that this should be our million dollar coach. This is his team and therefore his responsibility. Blame individual players all you like but this article points to one of the key reasons why the players may be under performing. It is a highly relevant article and its not the first time this issue has been raised.

If we are in salary cap strife for next year and players aren't feeling secure about their future then you have to ask yourself how we got in this position. Manly went through the same thing and are really just recovering now. The common thread is Hasler. He definitely deserved our respect and our trust in his first 4 years but after this year it is hard, nearly impossible, to defend him any longer. With his job on the line at the beginning of this year he promised a new approach and improvement for 2017. The buck should stop with him now (and those who re-signed him). This article clearly points to another issue of his and the clubs's mismanagement.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would you be expecting anything different. We lost another game in case you didn't realise. Were you hoping to come on here to see us all praising Hasler. I can see why you like him because you're obviously similar, expecting something different after doing the same thing.

And no-one is holding a gun to your head to come on here, if you don't like what you read there's a simple solution.

Reactions: GDR

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy needs to learn to shit his mouth.

Dog the coach and whatever, but don't throw hour mates under the bus.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if he's banished by super coach now. Perrett should keep private discussion private because he hasn't helped RFM.
RFM would get a gig at most clubs, Phil Gould froths at the mouth whenever he plays... he's been a positive in a very negative structure this season.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I true coach would realise keeping players happy and enthusiastic would result in better performances instead of dropping them when he finds out the player isn't all that satisfied.

It's the same shit no matter what industry or team your in. A happy group of employees always leads to productivity because people are having fun and it doesn't feel like they're being used.

Des does only what satisfies him. He's not the one on the field anymore, the sooner he realises that, the sooner our guys go out there and play for the enjoyment of the game and bring back the entertainment, not just rock up to fill a position for 80 minutes just to get paid and then fuck off home.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perret has been dead average this season. Hes no loss.
My only hope is that we release the remaining plodders as well.
**** act, to drop RFM in it too.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Perret has been dead average this season. Hes no loss.
My only hope is that we release the remaining plodders as well.
**** act, to drop RFM in it too.
I wish the rest of our forwards were as dead average as him tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.