Unleashing the dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sri Lanka ready to unleash Malinga

February 07, 2008 SRI Lanka are ready to unleash Lasith "the slinger" Malinga on Australia - all the pace sensation needs is a dry pitch at the SCG.

Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene said his entire squad had been eagerly awaiting their World Cup final re-match against Australia, following Adam Gilchrist's demolition of the Lankans in Barbados last April when the left-hander scored a brutal 149.

Both matches in the tri-series so far have been no-result games because of rain, with Australia splitting the points with India in Brisbane on Sunday and Sri Lanka doing the same with the Indians back at the Gabba two days later.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting warned of the blond-streaked Malinga's reverse-swing powers at 150km/h.

"I have been pretty impressed by one of their young quicks Ishara Amarasinghe," Ponting said.

"I thought he made a very good start to his campaign here in Australia (the 29-year-old second-gamer took 1-30 against India on Tuesday).

"Malinga is obviously dangerous as well, particularly in these sorts of conditions in Sydney where the ball might reverse swing late in the game.

"They're a dangerous side, we all know that."

Jayawardene says Malinga, who took four wickets in four balls against South Africa during last year's one-day World Cup, "is bowling as well as I've seen him".

"If the ball gets roughed up a bit then Lasith can be a handful with his reverse-swing," Jayawardene said.

"It depends on the climate as well; if it is going to be raining and the ball and the outfield are going to get wet there won't be that much reverse swing. But if it keeps dry there is a very good chance that he can produce some good stuff.

"All the guys have been waiting for this opportunity. It's always a challenge for us to play Australia and to challenge ourselves as well to see where we are.

"We always enjoy coming to Australia and playing cricket. Within yourself you just find that extra bit of effort to try to beat these guys."

Jayawardene also praised Amarasinghe's performance against India in Brisbane.

"Ishara has worked really hard. He has been around domestic cricket for quite some time. He's not a youngster," the skipper said.

"He has taken some time to develop himself and to realise what kind of potential he has got.

"It was the first big game for him and he bowled really well. He wasn't overwhelmed by the occasion which is great and hopefully he can keep improving."

Jayawardene said damp conditions would not help Sri Lanka's trump card, off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, weave his magic at the traditionally spin-friendly SCG.

"It (rain) has always been hurtful for us if you have spinners, slow bowlers," Jaywardene said.

"You can't control the weather. We just need to see if we can get a game in.

"Most of all we just need to kick-start this tournament."

First of all, the chances of the SCG pitch being dry 2moro is as likely as the roosters rorting the salary cap.

LoL at Malinga being unleashed. He can chuck himself into retirement. Dud

I predict Australia to win by 7 wickets or by 50-100 runs. Your predictions???

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
roflllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll dry pitch. Last i checked its been raining since freckin last month, and its guzzling at the moment. Mite as well call it a washout from now.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

the other teams are certainly coming to get the Aussies.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
forecast is for late showers but cloudy all day. I'm in Pyrmont and the rain look threatening, the pitch is going to be zippy and fast as it will have been covered or a while so whoever bowls first will get to exploit that.

Can't wait for this one, love a fri nyt ODi, hopefully rain holds out then hitting the town afterwards.

Jayasuriya and Gilly c'mon fire up!!! Give us centuries to remember you by! Both have freakish records on this ground, Jayasuriya 3 100's from his last 4 here vs Aus and I'll never forget Gilly's 100 here in '98 vs SL (fark me that was 10 yrs ago, time flies), and of course the world cup 149 (off 104).

Last time Murali played here he went for 0-99 off 10!! Good luck champ.

re: Malinga, if he's a dud then Shaun Tait is a joker.
The dude has 91 wkts in tests at 33.8 (but a strike rate similar to Brett Lee)
68 ODI wickets at 24.5 with a wicket every 5 overs and a double hat-trick vs South Africa to his name.

Shaun Tait has 33 ODI wickets at a similar average but economy rate of 5.3 and his test record reads: average of 60 and economy of 4.6 rpo

I'd say Tait was the dud, not man enough to cut it @ int'l level either. He's not the only sportsman/celeb with a fatigue or depression scenario.

Should be a good contest 2nyt, as long as the rain holds off. (fingers x'd)

Status
Not open for further replies.