Status
Not open for further replies.

*Doggiez Angel*

Sponsored by Playboy
Reaction score
Ulterior motives

BY DEAN RITCHIE Rugby League writer

February 17, 2005

TWO rugby league heavyweights last night took aim at Brisbane Broncos' claims the Bulldogs should receive salary cap exemptions to retain Sonny Bill Williams.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the Bulldogs deserve a salary cap concession for developing and nurturing Williams.

Cullen went as far as to say Williams should re-sign with the Bulldogs.

But Sydney Roosters coach Ricky Stuart and Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald hit out at Cullen's comments.

Fitzgerald said Brisbane's stance comes because the Broncos have such a vast junior area while Stuart said Cullen's comments are hypocritical.

"Brisbane have all of south-east Queensland to pick juniors from," Stuart said. "It is little unfair for clubs who don't have the number of juniors Brisbane have.

"They are purely throwing this up because it suits Brisbane and the number of juniors they have.

"We've got 600 juniors, they've got virtually half a state. They weren't interested in concessions when they pinched Gorden Tallis and Anthony Mundine from St George.

"And they weren't interested in concessions when they grabbed Scott Prince from North Queensland."

Fitzgerald said: "I don't agree with any concession. The concessions would lead to clubs having to then pay more money overall to keep players. Some clubs wouldn't be able to afford it.

"I can only assume the Broncos are saying this because of the number of juniors they have. Brisbane are seeking benefits for themselves to the detriment of the game as a whole.

"They have a history of looking after their own backyard going back to 1988 – and I'm the only CEO who has been there through all those times."

Cullen said his club was not interested in signing Williams.

"We haven't approached him or anyone associated in him. We're not interested in him and we couldn't afford him if we were," he said.

"We happen to think Sonny Bill should stay where he is.

"Canterbury found him. He's won a premiership with them and that's where he should stay, if he wants to. Maybe there should be some sort of salary cap concession for Canterbury to help them keep him because they discovered him."

Cullen received support from two rival NRL chief executives.

"If we can get and develop our juniors like Jason Ryles, Luke Bailey, Matt Cooper, Mark Gasnier and Shaun Timmins then we should get some concessions," said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

"The fans like to see the local juniors come through, achieve and then stay on and serve the club."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said: "I am a great believer that clubs who develop players through their ranks should be given some opportunity to receive an exemption from the NRL."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said concessions are not on the cards.

"Every club can come up with something unique about their club that they think would entitle them to a concession," Gallop said.

2004 Premiers

Yeah i read that and i cracked up laughing since when did Denis Fitzgerald know anything about league remember this is the guy that signed brian smith on a 5-6 year contract and the same person who released players like andrew ryan and tonga and to finnish it off this is the same person who said we should get rid of goal conversions in rugby league LMAO.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
Bulldogs2005 said:
Yeah i read that and i cracked up laughing since when did Denis Fitzgerald know anything about league remember this is the guy that signed brian smith on a 5-6 year contract and the same person who released players like andrew ryan and tonga and to finnish it off this is the same person who said we should get rid of goal conversions in rugby league LMAO.
don't forget he signed paul carriage :D

2004 Premiers

Greek Dog said:
don't forget he signed paul carriage :D
HAHAHAHA i remember that spastic ive never seen a dumber player in my life.:D

2004 Premiers

Greek Dog said:
that semi final against us was his best game e ver :D
Yeah how good was that kick he kicked exactly what parra needed at that stage of the game in the last 10 seconds :D

A

Anil

You see who shot down that idea? The two teams that steal everyone else's players.

Crazy mofo's

Status
Not open for further replies.