Turner throws support behind Idris

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
New Canterbury winger Steve Turner has thrown his support behind centre Jamal Idris who appeared to bomb the potential match-winning try in the dying stages of Saturday's 20-16 NRL loss to Newcastle at ANZ Stadium.

Last year's Dally M Rookie of the Year might have made an error of judgement at a crucial moment against the Knights, but Turner likened Idris' potential to that of his former Melbourne Storm team-mate Israel Folau.

With just over a minute remaining on the clock, Idris managed to break into open-field down the right-hand side.

As he approached Newcastle fullback Shannon McDonnell, he had Turner looming in support on his inside, but instead of passing or continuing to run himself, Idris kicked ahead.

The ball was recovered by McDonnell on his own goal-line, and he managed to get back into the field of play and wrap the game up for the Knights.

Turner admitted his new right-side partner probably made the wrong decision, but said Idris will learn from the mistake and continue to develop into one of the game's best young talents.

"I think Jamal obviously thought the kick was the best option but it's something we'll probably look at, whether he could have passed it, maybe he could have taken the fullback on but that's football and we learn from those mistakes and we move onto next week," Turner said.

"Obviously Jamal thought that was the right thing at the time but it didn't come off this week, maybe it will come off next week.

"My eyes lit up and had the bounce of the ball gone my way we could have scored and might have won the game but that's football and there's always next week."

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore also conceded there was a better option for Idris, but said that wasn't why the blue and white's failed to come up with the two points.

"It's something we maybe have a look at with Jamal, maybe there was a better option but as I say there were plenty of other things throughout the game that contributed to the reason why we were in that situation in the first place," said Moore.

Turner, who won two premierships with Melbourne, enjoyed a strong debut for the Bulldogs, scoring two tries.

The one-time NSW Origin player said he's excited about playing outside the physically imposing Idris, whose power and confidence reminds him of Broncos' star Israel Folau.

"I was fortunate enough to play outside Israel Folau for a couple of years and I think Jamal is very talented and I'm very thankful and fortunate to play outside him and hopefully we can form a combination throughout the year," Turner said.

"He is (like Folau) and obviously it has been well documented, he won the rookie of the year last year and he had a cracker of a year.

"He's got to back that up this year and I'm sure he'll be primed for a big one on Friday night against the Dragons.

"Obviously he's a very talented player and a big prospect and there's been a lot of wraps on Jamal. It's really exciting to play outside him and hopefully I can help him throughout the year and develop into a better player."

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with turner, idris is stronger and alot faster than this time last year and i believe he will become one of the best centres in the game..

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
yeah , they nearly scored but it was a very poor performance from 1 to 17 really , every time we play at home and go into games hot favourites this happens , hopefully st merge will go into the game at $1.50 or less and we can go into it more energetic and motivated .

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
prob should have sent mcdonnel flying. ah well we'll move on

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
why kick? I'm not saying I'd do better but it really did seem to be the worst option. But he'll make up for it against the st merge. I mean who else would have made the break to begin with?

one question though, why did we attack right then kick left? surly with Morris being better on the ground and Idris being awesome in the air surely the opposite would have been a better idea?

whippet_hound

HOT DOG
Reaction score
one question though, why did we attack right then kick left? surly with Morris being better on the ground and Idris being awesome in the air surely the opposite would have been a better idea?
even the FoxSports commentators said the Dogs should be using Morris more.... lets just hope the live and learn from Saturday night.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I agree with Turner. Jamal is similar to how SBW was. Every time he gets the ball you expect something special to happen, most time it does also. He is still a kid, he will only get better!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i agree with turner, idris is stronger and alot faster than this time last year and i believe he will become one of the best centres in the game..
x2...he seemed to have bulked up a bit tbh

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
x2...he seemed to have bulked up a bit tbh
x2 he did well made more meters than Hannant did played with heart yes he made mistakes but FFS I'd rather he play with heart and make mistakes than play like some of our other players did and not run up for the footy

I wouldn't have cared if we played our hearts out but still got beaten but fact is we got beat because we were lazy in both defense and attack hopefully this will turn around next week and KM stops being the nice guy and rips into em

ProudDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ok so he ****ed up, but we shouldnt have put ourselves in that position in the first place, and what happens if we got the bounce and scored? He would have been a hero.
He is still young and learning, lets hope he makes a better decision next time.

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
Not taking a shot at Idris but did anyone else notice how slow he is.... the newcastle lock out ran him in a 60m race...

X

XxFoVoSxX

Not taking a shot at Idris but did anyone else notice how slow he is.... the newcastle lock out ran him in a 60m race...
the lock had a 20m head start on him... he caught up to him around 15ms to go and went for the ankle tap..

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
the lock had a 20m head start on him... he caught up to him around 15ms to go and went for the ankle tap..
Yeah but cmon a forward vs a center and not just any centre the 2009 rookie of the year , 2010 state of origin bolter and what ever other superlative you want to add.

X

XxFoVoSxX

Yeah but cmon a forward vs a center and not just any centre the 2009 rookie of the year , 2010 state of origin bolter and what ever other superlative you want to add.
tbh i do agree with you that idris has lost abit of speed.. but it's his frame, i cast memory back to canberra vs dogs 08 where i think adrian purtell had something like a 40m head start and idris ran him down effortlessly... back then he had a far smaller frame..
but still he does have quite abit of speed for a big bloke.. similar to folau.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They didnt need to come out like this and get behind Idris like he was embattled and in some horrible form slump. Its only 1 game and we have all seen what he can do. He lacks experience, which is why he may have the occassional brain explosion, but he will learn and he is surrounded by good teachers. He will be fine. Moore was on the money, many things in the game contributed to our loss. 0/4 goals and 0-16 halftime score spring to mind as 2.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont understand why Idris is being bagged.

Sure he made the wrong decision but how many centres would have busted that tackle and made the break in the first place.

Its easy to look in hindsight at the mistake but look at what he achived and is capable of.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
tbh i do agree with you that idris has lost abit of speed.. but it's his frame, i cast memory back to canberra vs dogs 08 where i think adrian purtell had something like a 40m head start and idris ran him down effortlessly... back then he had a far smaller frame..
but still he does have quite abit of speed for a big bloke.. similar to folau.
Hey....don't use Purtell as an example of speed :P ..... Vidot gave
him a 20 metre head start and almost ran him down :P

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its pretty frustrating but it should never of gotten to the last five minutes, after that offseason the Bulldogs should of came out full of fire.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We didnt deserve to win and to be honest , if the kick had come of and we somehow won..it would have been
an injustice to the Knights.... I just hope we learnt a valuable lesson about going into a game with some enthusiasm
and passion...if so then im sure we will be competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.