Trindall reaches agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanty Bill

I Like Soccer
Reaction score
Super League champions St Helens have been ordered to pay former player Darrell Trindall £45,000 in an out-of-court settlement.
The Australian stand-off successfully sued the club for damages after being sacked just two months into a two-year contract.

St Helens, who were due in the High Court in Liverpool on Thursday, will also have to pay Trindall's costs and tax in a move that could cost them close to £100,000.

They cancelled the player's contract last April after only two matches, claiming medical opinion suggested he had a shoulder injury when he signed for them.

The last 12 months have been extremely difficult for Trindall
Trindall's solicitor Richard Cramer

Trindall, a former South Sydney player, has since resurrected his career with Canterbury Bulldogs.

"The decision to take St Helens to court and proceed with this matter has been fully vindicated," he said.

"I was shocked and horrified when I was called into St Helens' office last April to be told by Eric Hughes that my contract was to be rescinded.

"Mr Hughes then handed me my air tickets and told me to pack my bags, hand in the keys to my house and car and catch the next flight back to Australia.

"St Helens have not paid any of my wages since mid-April 2000.

"The financial settlement reached will now enable me to get on with my life and rebuild my career with Canterbury Bulldogs," Trindall said.

It is unfortunate that, in the case of any business, commercial decisions have to be made which affect peoples' lives
Howard Morris

Trindall's solicitor Richard Cramer also acted for former coach Ellery Hanley in his actions against the St Helens club.
"The last 12 months have been extremely difficult for Trindall," Cramer said.

"St Helens have fought the case and Darrell had to show tremendous strength of character.

"The substantial payment of damages and costs by St Helens gives the clearest indication that their decision to terminate Darrell's contract prematurely was both incorrect and unjust," he added.

St Helens chairman Howard Morris said: "It is unfortunate that, in the case of any business, commercial decisions have to be made which affect peoples' lives. Rugby League is no different, especially with the salary cap and 20-20 rule.

"Darrell Trindall was not fit to play when he arrived and a decision had to be made by the club on medical evidence.

"The decision to release him was made by the coaching staff and the board and not out football executive Eric Hughes.

"But Eric did have the difficult task of communicating the decision.

Contract

"It is denied that the total cost of this decision has, or will be, in the region of £100,000 as has been reported.

"By terminating Trindall's contract the club was able to retain he services of other players including, of course, Tommy Martyn.

"He went on to be the Super League player's Player of the Year and the Rugby League Writer's Association Player of the Year and, of course, we won the grand final and went on to become world champions."

G

Gladiator.

didnt we release trindall?

*EDIT*

he was on a trial i guess we dropped him

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old is this article? from 2001? Darrel Trindall??

Shanty Bill

I Like Soccer
Reaction score
I got it from SMH this morning.

This is gonna cause so much trouble.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is an old article. Don't know why it has resurfaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.