Tries from bombs VS Tries from set plays against the dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Is there anybody out there that can help me (or perhaps help us) to find the amount of tries that are scored against the Dogs from Bombs or grubber kicks.
What I am trying to get at is that I notice that when we lose or get absolutely smashed it seem that most tries are from bombs or the like, now in saying that
I think we have a very good "D" against set plays,however when there is a bomb put up we don't seem to be able to defuse or really have any idea what to do
now I know there's probably a few of you may say what's this bloke going on about but it 's just so annoying watching our side go out onto the field & having NO idea
how to cope with the bombs

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I kinda agree, our on the line and normal defense is very good even against broken/random play but kicks seem to stuff us up. To be honest the only time we defend well against kicks (this year) is when BMoz is at the back with our strong backline.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like in 2004 when the cowboys beat us in the first week of finals. We definitely seem to concede more tries on 5th tackle than any other tackle. Need to compare that with other teams though to get the true picture

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's probably why we never score from bombs either.. I guess at training when our halves are putting up bombs, which never hit there mark it's hard to get the practice you need.. But its def a massive problem I can't even watch the screen these days when a bomb goes up

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's probably why we never score from bombs either.. I guess at training when our halves are putting up bombs, which never hit there mark it's hard to get the practice you need.. But its def a massive problem I can't even watch the screen these days when a bomb goes up
You think we even practice crossfiels bombs? Lol i don't.

berries62

Waterboy
Reaction score
Its a confidence thing I reckon, kick to a winger and if he drops it,
kick to him all day, Coreys taken lots of great bombs in his Ist grade days

J

JonesBarry

Like in 2004 when the cowboys beat us in the first week of finals. We definitely seem to concede more tries on 5th tackle than any other tackle. Need to compare that with other teams though to get the true picture
mmm we won the comp after matt sign scored his tries on us.
you cant compare that to now, although if you are im happy to take the GF are the last round

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't know the exact stats, but we definitely conceed a lot of tries through kicks

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah but Matt Sing was jumping over Utai.... He was a solid attacking footballer, but he was shit under the high ball when caught flat footed.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our bombs are really shit though, whenever a team puts one up on us we always look a 70-30 chance. But when we put one up we always look no chance.... it like we just put them up to try pin them inside the 10 instead of trying to get it back... Our game for the past 2 years has always been play safe a hope the other team drops the ball or gives us a penalty.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We will do much better with Bmoz at the back, JMoz out wide and Perrett on the wing when the Mozzes return, as far as diffusing bombs and cleaning up grubbers goes.

Cant really judge the team with its current structure. Missing too many ppl to origin and Graham injured, and some players who are playing, are playing out of their preferred positions.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of tries from kicks against us. Its credit our line defence

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I am trying to get at is that I notice that when we lose or get absolutely smashed it seem that most tries are from bombs or the like, now in saying that
I think we have a very good "D" against set plays,however when there is a bomb put up we don't seem to be able to defuse or really have any idea what to do
You've made a good point here dogs day. Bombs work in two ways, theirs and ours.

With "theirs", the teams that smoke us have very good bombers. They either drop a metrefrom our try line where their kick chasers crash our guy into the ingoal resulting in a line drop out or have their big, fast athletic winger to arrive on the fly, take the bomb high and score the try.

With "ours" the bombs are usually ill directed, have no kick chasers and are easily defused.

With Reynolds and Mbye we have two very good running halves with very ordinary kicking games. With Hodkinson we have nothing. So that's the difference between us and them.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot of tries from kicks against us. Its credit our line defence
That's one way to look at it.

Unfortunately it means that even shit teams know they can hang in against us and lob a few kicks up and eventually we will cock up and let them back in the game. Our poor kicking led to their opening try gifting them field position and the run of play. Our poor kick defence let to two of their tries. Any team that makes it that easy to score 3 tries is going to struggle to win games....regardless of how good your defence is elsewhere.
I feel bad for our boys cause they bust a gut with their effort, but constant, predictable cock ups cost us dearly.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
i want to bump this because i notice this too

is it always on the thompson/perrett wing or are there cock ups from rona too

Status
Not open for further replies.