Reaction score
For mine:

Promising signs in
- King
- Cook
- Schoupp
- Casey
- Patolo
- Hoffman (I think he'll be good for us)
- Dufty
- Credence
- JMK (needs Dufty up his clacker)
- Vaughan (better as game went on)
- TPJ (needs to keep it simple, will be good)
- Alamoti (Very green but long term future)

Big concerns
- NO HALFBACK ( should have bought Reynolds)
- Okunbor
- OUR ATTACK IS SHIT

MY STARTING TEAM NEXT WEEK

1. Dufty
2. Casey
3. Schoupp
4. Naden
5. Addo-Carr

6. Burton
7. Averillo (because every other option is worse & that's who he'll pick)

8. Thompson
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Hetherington
12. Pangai
13. Jackson

14. JMK (dummy half runs late in half)
15. King
16. Ava/Patolo
17. Hoffman or RFM (need a bench backrower)

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My disclaimer: I only saw the 2nd half.

So I know it's "only a trial", but there was dead set nothing in that half that gave me a chubby.

Highlight was Schoupps conversion tbh.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know it's only a trial and we were missing players but some worrying signs in attack there for me. Didn't matter who was out there, it was all very pedestrian and haphazard. I've been an Averillo fan since he hit first grade but I just can't see him complimenting Burton well at all. Problem is he's way too passive - both in demeanor and in the way he plays. But in saying that all halves were really underwhelming.

Some positives were Dufty (who was definitely our best) as well as Schoupp, Casey, King, Cook and Creedence showing good signs. Okunbur & Stimson did enough to ensure they shouldn't be anywhere near first grade so that's a positive in that Barrett can be confident in putting a red line through both of their names based on that performance.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah thanks, arent these players supposed to be in strict lockdown, how are they STILL getting covid? how hard is it to sit at home and not go out partying. geez. We dont need long covid to fuck our star recruit. hoping he recovers well and quick
Nearly every NRL player at every club has caught it. Many will probably catch it 2 or 3 times this season.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That seems to be his usual game though unfortunately. Solid but nothing brilliant.
He needs more game plan space and needs a complete shake down from both Gus and Baz to accept the challenge. He has it in him but we dont see it. A waste.

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For mine:

Promising signs in
- King
- Cook
- Schoupp
- Casey
- Patolo
- Hoffman (I think he'll be good for us)
- Dufty
- Credence
- JMK (needs Dufty up his clacker)
- Vaughan (better as game went on)
- TPJ (needs to keep it simple, will be good)
- Alamoti (Very green but long term future)

Big concerns
- NO HALFBACK ( should have bought Reynolds)
- Okunbor
- OUR ATTACK IS SHIT

MY STARTING TEAM NEXT WEEK

1. Dufty
2. Casey
3. Schoupp
4. Naden
5. Addo-Carr

6. Burton
7. Averillo (because every other option is worse & that's who he'll pick)

8. Thompson
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Hetherington
12. Pangai
13. Jackson

14. JMK (dummy half runs late in half)
15. King
16. Ava
17. Hoffman or RFM (need a bench backrower)
Great looking side. I'd like to see BBO get a full game though. He did have a few good touches & a great kick.
He needs more game plan space and needs a complete shake down from both Gus and Baz to accept the challenge. He has it in him but we dont see it. A waste.
Yes I totally agree Wendy. Same goes for BBO. Both so talented but don't get enough game time imo. I think the Avo experiment has run its course.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Great looking side. I'd like to see BBO get a full game though. He did have a few good touches & a great kick.

Yes I totally agree Wendy. Same goes for BBO. Both so talented but don't get enough game time imo. I think the Avo experiment has run its course.
Bbo had about 6 sets in a row on newcastle line and did nothing against a newcastle reserve grade team
He is a talent but needs time in reserve grade

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My disclaimer: I only saw the 2nd half.

So I know it's "only a trial", but there was dead set nothing in that half that gave me a chubby.

Highlight was Schoupps conversion tbh.
Dufty gave us all a chubby in the 1st half :smiley:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Finding the right spot for Avo is important. He is not a 7. We can not be going into this year with an ineffective 7 no matter what.

With BBO or Wakeham we have the basics of a 7 at least.

Avo too good not to find him a spot. Centre all thats available atm bc Baz has not turned Jake into a half.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Finding the right spot for Avo is important. He is not a 7. We can not be going into this year with an ineffective 7 no matter what.

With BBO or Wakeham we have the basics of a 7 at least.

Avo too good not to find him a spot. Centre all thats available atm bc Baz has not turned Jake into a half.
Watching replay BBO was shocking tonight

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all by design though. We literally ran that double block play every tackle in the oppositions red zone and the ball either died with the forward at first receiver or died with the half if the ball eventually made it to them because the defence was already in their face and had slid across. We were flat, lacked intensity and lacked any off the ball movement. Even the try Dufty setup was nothing flash, just bare basic ball movement well before the line finished off with a good long ball to a totally unmarked winger, I don't even think we had extra numbers lol.

There's obviously issues like JMK's awful service, lack of Yeo like ball player and sloppy errors, but I don't think we did anything more than play through motions tonight in attack....however if this IS what we plan on doing this season then Baz will be out the door and we will have a new coach for 23.
This is an important post and exactly how i saw it.
It concerned me that Barrett keeps making it sound like he knows where the problems are and knows how can fix them, yet here we are, playing the same way and looking likecwe have NFI in attack.

It looks like we are still looking for the opposition to make a mistake so we can score. The only things we have strengthened is the ability to score from a dropped ball, intercept or opposition error.

Id like to see us construct a try for once.
From a few plays beforehand. One where we manipulate the situation to drag defenders onecway to allow a break to be made. Not from an opposition error.