Trent Hodkinson - 2011 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needs improving, not showing enough.. Maybe signing him was a bad idea but then again who was off contract last year (halfback) that was better than Hodkinson that we could of got?

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
well well well, i got smashed from pillar to post about bagging Hodkison by all the niff nuffs on here over the last week.
looks like Moore has had enough also when he was hooked tonight.
not is he the potential worst buy he IS the worst buy of the season and we are stuck for the next 2 and 1/2 seasons with the slowest and worst attacking half back in the comp. he has nothing, absolutely nothing and if you want to keep your heads in the sand, go ahead.
All these calls for give him time blah blah blah , reynolds killed him tonight and even Williams killed him, a under 20's player. sure his defence is good, but u dont buy a half back for defence.
the only time we scored points was when keating was half and reynolds at 5/8, i think that says enough.
he has got nothing, which i dare say i pointed out BEFORE the season started on his efforts last year.
Gus just put Reynolds price tag up a few thousand also tonight, lets hope he stays or we are doomed.
yep i agree with u mate. that first half last nite with all that possession we had and no points to show for it goes to show you how crap our halves were. reynolds besides his silliness at the death showed more promise and ability to run the ball towards the line and create something than hodkinson has done all year. hodkinson would make a great rugby union first five eighth. pass and kick. but at the bulldogs we play rugby league.

i want to see reynolds and roberts together nxt week. ive been critical of roberts in the past but i think its time we give him another shot. an eel nxt yr who cares, put him back on.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hodkinson hooked or injured?

Picked it up while at the game.

Comments?

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares, as long as he was off the field.

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
He's definitely on notice now. Let's see how he responds.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
He's definitely on notice now. Let's see how he responds.
Not only him Sull, Moore as well. A new approach to his kicking game and attack have to change. That is something the coach has to take responsibility for.
But then no matter what steps are put in place it will come to nothing if the person on the outside of him, Keating, continues to underperform.
I believe one half is only as good as the other half with him. Hodkinson can improve, not with Keating but with Roberts or Reynolds.
Keating was bought by us from Parramatta's N SW Cup and no big deal if he returns there.

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
Oh for sure, there is a lot exposed now and how the club/coaching staff/players respond to this will be a big issue for not only this year but our direction for the next 2-3.

If things go unaddressed over the next few weeks I will have lost my faith in Kevin Moore in coach (which is still there for now, I'm not a sack Moore groupie).

Issues I see:
1. The fact that Idris as a centre is not successful, both defensively and in involvement consistency in attack. It needs to be aborted.
2. Keating is struggling to provide opportunities to his outside runners. Morris is starved and Pritchard is one dimensional as a battering ram (has been good and his offloads/workrate is great, but he can offer a lot more running wider in more space also)
3. Hodkinson is now on notice, and needs to step up to assure his spot in the team
4. Lack of props through injury and the unlucky Tandy situation (no ones fault). Bite the bullet and push Ryan into the 10 jersey, at least for the timebeing while Tolman injured.
5. A more attacking option on the bench over Halatau while points aren't coming. Playing Idris in the backrow can slide to the backline if needed, providing just as much injury cover that Halatau would anyway.

The problem is that when they have trained all pre-season over the summer in this structure presently, it's very hard I guess for the coaching staff to decide it's time to abort since so much work has gone into it.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
One thing Roberts did when he had the ball, he kept the defence in two minds, ran with it in both hands right up at the line.
Opposition new he had the strength and speed to get through a hole. That creates uncertaintity and gaps. He either did that or draw right at the line and pass to Morris or cutout to wing.
He might have had the occassional brain explosion but no-one can deny the service to the outside, especially to the left. That is now non-existent.

If they are coached all summer with only a plan 'A' and no alternatives to adapt to everchanging situations then this is bad coaching.

I could say your not a sack Moore groupie but a, 'Pull your head out of the sand and improve your style and method of coaching'.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Oh for sure, there is a lot exposed now and how the club/coaching staff/players respond to this will be a big issue for not only this year but our direction for the next 2-3.

If things go unaddressed over the next few weeks I will have lost my faith in Kevin Moore in coach (which is still there for now, I'm not a sack Moore groupie).

Issues I see:
1. The fact that Idris as a centre is not successful, both defensively and in involvement consistency in attack. It needs to be aborted.
2. Keating is struggling to provide opportunities to his outside runners. Morris is starved and Pritchard is one dimensional as a battering ram (has been good and his offloads/workrate is great, but he can offer a lot more running wider in more space also)
3. Hodkinson is now on notice, and needs to step up to assure his spot in the team
4. Lack of props through injury and the unlucky Tandy situation (no ones fault). Bite the bullet and push Ryan into the 10 jersey, at least for the timebeing while Tolman injured.
5. A more attacking option on the bench over Halatau while points aren't coming. Playing Idris in the backrow can slide to the backline if needed, providing just as much injury cover that Halatau would anyway.

The problem is that when they have trained all pre-season over the summer in this structure presently, it's very hard I guess for the coaching staff to decide it's time to abort since so much work has gone into it.
Agree with pretty much all those points. Well said

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
im hoping that game was a kick in ass.....one wouldnt think that performances like that will keep him in FG

neovo89

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Issues I see:

Great Post on all counts!

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems we are playing too flat, t doesn't suit Trents game.

Trent is slow and needs time to execute passes, kicks etc he reminds me a little of Jason Smith. We need to get deeper. I hate Moore's obsession with this flat style of play. I blame BK.

G

Gladiator.

Seems we are playing too flat, t doesn't suit Trents game.

Trent is slow and needs time to execute passes, kicks etc he reminds me a little of Jason Smith. We need to get deeper. I hate Moore's obsession with this flat style of play. I blame BK.
I just hate Moore, in general.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think he needs a strong 5/8 like Foran to play with......unfortunately i dont think keating is that player....

gf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't understand when people talk about Keating playing on the outside of Hodknson. One plays left side whilst the other plays right. I believe the left don't get the ball much because Keating is a running 5/8. Maybe a better option for lock??? Hodko is a more patient playmaker however he may need to change that up a little as the team needs to know the call before the hooker puts his hands on the ball. Both boys are good players...have watched them from 16s. They are worth persisting with...they are still learning at this level...remembering they are both only like 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.