Trent Barrett Mid-Week Press Conference

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While I still have some areas of worry ahead of this season, I'm also excited about the prospect of some big changes happening. I guess the main thing that's exciting is that it seems like Barrett is going to take some chances on unknowns like Deitz. Also seems good to think that we're going to have someone in the coaching box that outwardly seems to have some new ideas.

I'm trying to temper the excitement a bit, but with a few days to go until kickoff I'm keen to see where the team is at.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it’s important to consider what Tbaz said about the attack being a work in progress and to not expect too much early.
I know we won't see a lot of polished set plays from day 1. But I do hope that we see support players available whenever a line break is made. It was simple things like seeing a player break the line and having nobody to pass it to that let us down a bit last year. Hopefully the fitness side of things goes a long way towards sorting that out.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know we won't see a lot of polished set plays from day 1. But I do hope that we see support players available whenever a line break is made. It was simple things like seeing a player break the line and having nobody to pass it to that let us down a bit last year. Hopefully the fitness side of things goes a long way towards sorting that out.
I think a Tbaz work in progress attack structure will still be miles ahead of what we have seen over the last few years. In saying that there probably will be times where we struggle until the combinations settle.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think it’s important to consider what Tbaz said about the attack being a work in progress and to not expect too much early.
Yeah, agreed. Early round footy is about keeping it simple and high completions anyway, but even moreso for a spine that's never played together. He has mentioned a few times around 50% of the 17 haven't played together before. It's pretty much spot on, Allan, Cotric, Flanagan, Hetherington, Waddell, Deitz is 6/17. Elliot missed a stack of time, Averillo only got 13 games last season, Meany/ DWZ were in-and-out of FG in 2020, RFM and Napa coming back from injuries.

Hopefully, fans can temper their expectations. I'm just glad we have what looks like a 'softer' Newcastle first up to get the combinations going. If we had Souths/ Easts/ Raiders/ Storm/ Pathers first up, it could get ugly. The team will 100% be better for the run this week heading into Round 2 vs the Panthers.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Having an articulate and intelligent coach, with a plan, inspires a lot of confidence. Being able to feed the media is also very useful, and helps paint a positive image of the club.
Agree mate. Excluding the caretakers, if I think back - Pay, Hasler, Moore, Folkesy, Opes, Gus, Wok, Glossop - Baz is the most articulate and communicative coach I can remember. That bodes well for the playing group, the club more broadly and the media too. I like what I see, but it remains a results based business, let’s hope he can deliver there too. We’ll know soon enough.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed. Early round footy is about keeping it simple and high completions anyway, but even moreso for a spine that's never played together. He has mentioned a few times around 50% of the 17 haven't played together before. It's pretty much spot on, Allan, Cotric, Flanagan, Hetherington, Waddell, Deitz is 6/17. Elliot missed a stack of time, Averillo only got 13 games last season, Meany/ DWZ were in-and-out of FG in 2020, RFM and Napa coming back from injuries.

Hopefully, fans can temper their expectations. I'm just glad we have what looks like a 'softer' Newcastle first up to get the combinations going. If we had Souths/ Easts/ Raiders/ Storm/ Pathers first up, it could get ugly. The team will 100% be better for the run this week heading into Round 2 vs the Panthers.
Totally agree! I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a conservative game plan on Friday for the reasons you mention plus it’s supposed to be wet. It would have been great for this spine to get game time in a trial but they didn’t so we just have to hope it works.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
While I still have some areas of worry ahead of this season, I'm also excited about the prospect of some big changes happening. I guess the main thing that's exciting is that it seems like Barrett is going to take some chances on unknowns like Deitz. Also seems good to think that we're going to have someone in the coaching box that outwardly seems to have some new ideas.

I'm trying to temper the excitement a bit, but with a few days to go until kickoff I'm keen to see where the team is at.
Like many Bulldog supporters it's perfectly natural to feel guarded we have endured enough let downs to warrant the next.

Our worries are way behind us now, we have moved on...we have so much to look forward to....win, lose or draw...let's look forward to the season.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like many Bulldog supporters it's perfectly natural to feel guarded we have endured enough let downs to warrant the next.

Our worries are way behind us now, we have moved on...we have so much to look forward to....win, lose or draw...let's look forward to the season.
For the most part I'm very positive about the year ahead. We've added some good players to the squad and seem to have ticked many boxes with a new and improved training regime. As you say it's natural to be a bit guarded about things. But I do generally suffer from realism. I'll stay positive and hope that everything falls into place as the season goes on. But while much positivity surrounds our improved spine, they are still mostly youngsters who have plenty to prove. They'll be under a lot of pressure if they don't hit the ground running and we have plenty of people here that go over the top with criticism if players they pin their hopes on don't perform as well as they expected. So overall I'm just tempering my positivity with realistic expectations. It may take a while before we look close to a polished team.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% that is something I expect, support play and bodies in motion should be constant... because that is a mindset/attitude/fitness thing..

Combinations on the other hand will take time ..

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just love how when he talks about Dietz, he sees him as an out-and-out 9 and is happy to cut the bullshit and admit that he has something none of our other 9’s have.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last timeout coach pressers went 11 mins

Very insightful which is quite refreshing from Pays cliche answers and Des talking in riddles