News Trent Barrett let the cat out of the bag that the club missed out on signing Broncos young gun Brendan Piakura

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not aware of that mate’: Kevvie mystified as Barrett lets slip Broncos young gun’s future

Kevin Walters was confused at Trent Barrett's comments on Brendan Piakura.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett let the cat out of the bag that the club missed out on signing Broncos young gun Brendan Piakura, but it was news to Kevin Walters.

The two clubs have been locked in a battle for Piakura’s signature, but Barrett let slip the Bulldogs had missed out on luring him to Belmore after his side’s 24-0 Round 3 loss.

Yeah I think he is going to stay at Brisbane,” Barrett said in his press conference.

It did (look like we had him) and he is a really good young player Brendan and a good young kid and I wish him all the best.

“We are disappointed, but he will stay here (at Red Hill).

“He’s athletic and big and can do everything. He’s from a lovely family Brendan and they’ve got themselves a good player.

However Walters seemed mystified when he was congratulated on securing Piakura’s signature.

“Trent Barrett just said you have kept Piakura, which is huge news for the club that he will be staying here at the Broncos,” Peter Badel asked Walters.

“I am sort of not aware of that mate,” a confused Walters replied with a shocked look on his face.

“Well I won’t make any comment on that Pete. I don’t know so until we hear that from Brendan, I won’t make any comment.

“I said last week we are confident and we would like to keep all our players.

“We were disappointed to lose Reece. We’ve still got four or five players that we need to hold onto. We will get there.”

Fox League’s James Hooper reported the Bulldogs were closing in on the teenager’s signature, but in a bid to stop the mass exodus of young talent, Walters made an offer of $1.2 million over three years.

The Broncos’ offer is $300,000 for 2022, $400,000 for 2023 and $500,000 for 2024.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be the reverse "BLUFF" call - telling the kid we wont fork out anymore coin in a bidding war.
For eg: he came back asking for more & our response was... good luck in Brisbane & then announce it to the world as if we closed the book.
But, if our deal is better then he still may come over.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Headline made me think we got him... Fucking clickbait lol... To many loose lips either side of the fence when it comes to our recruitment

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not aware of that mate’: Kevvie mystified as Barrett lets slip Broncos young gun’s future

Kevin Walters was confused at Trent Barrett's comments on Brendan Piakura.'s comments on Brendan Piakura.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett let the cat out of the bag that the club missed out on signing Broncos young gun Brendan Piakura, but it was news to Kevin Walters.

The two clubs have been locked in a battle for Piakura’s signature, but Barrett let slip the Bulldogs had missed out on luring him to Belmore after his side’s 24-0 Round 3 loss.

Yeah I think he is going to stay at Brisbane,” Barrett said in his press conference.

It did (look like we had him) and he is a really good young player Brendan and a good young kid and I wish him all the best.

“We are disappointed, but he will stay here (at Red Hill).

“He’s athletic and big and can do everything. He’s from a lovely family Brendan and they’ve got themselves a good player.

However Walters seemed mystified when he was congratulated on securing Piakura’s signature.

“Trent Barrett just said you have kept Piakura, which is huge news for the club that he will be staying here at the Broncos,” Peter Badel asked Walters.

“I am sort of not aware of that mate,” a confused Walters replied with a shocked look on his face.

“Well I won’t make any comment on that Pete. I don’t know so until we hear that from Brendan, I won’t make any comment.

“I said last week we are confident and we would like to keep all our players.

“We were disappointed to lose Reece. We’ve still got four or five players that we need to hold onto. We will get there.”

Fox League’s James Hooper reported the Bulldogs were closing in on the teenager’s signature, but in a bid to stop the mass exodus of young talent, Walters made an offer of $1.2 million over three years.

The Broncos’ offer is $300,000 for 2022, $400,000 for 2023 and $500,000 for 2024.
walters was trying so hard to keep the smirk of his face.. he wasn’t shocked he knew.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Could be the reverse "BLUFF" call - telling the kid we wont fork out anymore coin in a bidding war.
For eg: he came back asking for more & our response was... good luck in Brisbane & then announce it to the world as if we closed the book.
But, if our deal is better then he still may come over.
We can only hope, this crossed my mind too...

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
All i know we need a massive clean out
Well we've already had a big clean out in regards to coach, coaching staff and players, with more changes to come next year but a club can't just suddenly replace all 17 players in one hit. It's near impossible.
And unless you're replacing Barrett with a Bennett or a Bellamy, chances are we'll be just as shit and we're having this conversation all over again.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well we've already had a big clean out in regards to coach, coaching staff and players, with more changes to come next year but a club can't just suddenly replace all 17 players in one hit. It's near impossible.
And unless you're replacing Barrett with a Bennett or a Bellamy, chances are we'll be just as shit and we're having this conversation all over again.
5 years and counting buddy

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They upped there offer to 400k a year
Off course he’s staying
And now have to pay 700k to keep staggs

that means bye bye milf Coates and lodge

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Off course he’s staying

Lodge is there for another three seasons but you’re right about Coates .. they’ve already basically said Milf won’t be re-signed

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Off course he’s staying

Lodge is on big coin already.. and no one will pick up that tab, unless broncos heavily contribute.