Tpj to retire from nrl

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess it comes down to the terms of the exit. We may not be able to get the 250k back but if he’s at the Dolphins next year, why should we have to include the 250k in our cap. We should get an exemption for it.
Sorry mate am I talking Spanish ?

There are no terms to his exit. He was on $750k next year and the release was signed by mutual consent.

If he signs for any other club next year it means fuck all to us.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

There are no terms to his exit. He was on $750k next year and the release was signed by mutual consent.

Yep I get that, more thinking/hoping that the 250k we are forced to carry for him in 2024 would be waived by the NRL given what would be an about face by TPJ.

Another issue would be what another poster mentioned about us not being able to use him in some kind of player swap as he said he was retiring.

Cluster fark if the NRL don’t come out hard against this type of scenario should it occur.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep I get that, more thinking/hoping that the 250k we are forced to carry for him in 2024 would be waived by the NRL given what would be an about face by TPJ.

Another issue would be what another poster mentioned about us not being able to use him in some kind of player swap as he said he was retiring.

Cluster fark if the NRL don’t come out hard against this type of scenario should it occur.
Where did you get that we are carrying 250k for 2024 from? As Howie said, TPJ terminated his contract and signed off on the exit so we are not paying a cent for him anymore not this year or next year

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Where did you get that we are carrying 250k for 2024 from? As Howie said, TPJ terminated his contract and signed off on the exit so we are not paying a cent for him anymore not this year or next year
Can’t recall if I saw it in the paper or it was posted in here somewhere.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why are we still talking about this useless piece of shit?

He’s gone. Already back in QLD. bye bye

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Yes and No

Yes - because nothing of his contract would count to our salary cap (ie he walks away with nothing and we are unaffected).

But no because - I think it sets a sh!t precedent. It means players can willingly give up their contract, and sacrifice a contracted year of pay with club X - to turn around and sign with club Y.

In my mind, if I was the NRL - they would be needing our blessing to sign off on his return, given he was still contracted to us. Otherwise - a precedent would be set with players that you can willingly resign from your club, only to pick up a new contract later.

You're effectively sacking yourself without cause.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and No

Yes - because nothing of his contract would count to our salary cap (ie he walks away with nothing and we are unaffected).

But no because - I think it sets a sh!t precedent. It means players can willingly give up their contract, and sacrifice a contracted year of pay with club X - to turn around and sign with club Y.

In my mind, if I was the NRL - they would be needing our blessing to sign off on his return, given he was still contracted to us. Otherwise - a precedent would be set with players that you can willingly resign from your club, only to pick up a new contract later.

You're effectively sacking yourself without cause.
Definitely agree with your point mate and it’s a very good one.

I guess that’s when the NRL needs to step up and not register the contract in those cases

Malla

Reaction score
Exactly right.

This bloke has been wrong numerous times and just talks shit.

It’s hilarious.

Anyway tpj is a bloke with enormous talent and gifts but has just not delivered consistently for anyone. He will fail in boxing or at best have a career fighting bums set up by sbw and co and make a joke of themselves like sbw did getting belted by a old washed Botha and have the fight changed in the rounds mid fight lol.

He will be back in footy without a doubt.

While he hasn’t been consistent he is without doubt our most damaging prop and take kikau out arguably the only guy who consistently bent the line.

Disappointing as would of loved to see a season of him with kikau on field.

Regardless he’s not interested and doesn’t want to be here so we are better off with the 750-850k and signing some elite forward to replace him.

The issue like with Thompson is there is no elite forward available. If we go sign a couple blokes like sst then Gus really needs to deliver for us for 25 with at least 3 gun forwards recruited. Mo, keon and that Wilson from broncos would be my immediate targets.

While they aren’t haas/Tino they provide some amazing forwards.

I’d be all over them from November and we need to go for the throat. We fuck about and will be here end of next year talking for 26.
Bump