TPG and Vodafone Hutchison announce a $15 billion merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/com...announce-a-dollar15-billion-merger/ar-BBMCPfd

TPG Telecom Limited and Vodafone Hutchison Australia today announced a merger of "equals", creating an entity with enough scale and financial resources to take on Telstra and Optus.

The merged company will have about 20% of Australia's mobile phone market and 22% of the fixed line market.

The deal, to create a leading challenger full-service telecommunications provider, will give TPG shareholders 49.9% of the new group and Vodafone Hutchison's the remaining 50.1%.

The companies say the enterprise value of the merged group will be about $15 billion, with revenue of more than $6 billion and EBITDA of $1.8 billion. Net debt will be about $4 billion.

"We will be a more formidable competitor against Telstra and Optus," says billionaire David Teo, the founder of TPG.

"The characteristics that have made TPG what it is today -- innovative, customer-focused, bold -- will be magnified through this combination of such highly complementary businesses.

"Together we will become a more effective industry challenger that strives to create competitively-priced consumer products with the high levels of customer service that differentiates us in the market."

Together the companies own and operate 27,000 km of metropolitan and inter-capital fibre networks, a mobile network with 5,000 sites, international capacity and a strategic portfolio of spectrum assets.

The deal doesn't include TPG's Singapore business where the company has the island nation's fourth mobile phone network. this will be floated off to existing shareholders.

TPG is an ASX-listed telco with Australia’s second largest fixed line residential subscriber base of 1.9 million subscribers and a significant corporate, government and wholesale business. TPG is also building its own $1.9 billion mobile network, Australia’s fourth carrier.

Vodafone Hutchison (VHA) is Australia’s third largest mobile operator, owned 50/50 by parent entities Vodafone Group Plc and Hutchison Telecommunications, with 6 million subscribers.

The two companies, while the merger is put together, have agreed to a joint venture bid for a licence for the 3.6 GHz spectrum. The Government is auctioning 125 MHz of 3.6 GHz band spectrum in late November.

The merged group will be called TPG Telecom Limited. The merger is expected to complete next year.

Teoh, the current CEO and Chairman of TPG, will be chairman of the merged group. Iñaki Berroeta, current CEO of Vodafone Hutchison, will be the Managing Director and CEO.

Berroeta says the Australian telecommunications market is characterised by the presence of Telstra and Optus.

"Together, TPG and VHA will provide stronger competition in the market and greater choice for Australian consumers and enterprises across fixed broadband and mobile," says Berroeta says.

"The combination of our two highly complementary businesses and talented employees will create a more sustainable company, with enhanced capacity to invest in new technology and innovation."

Here's what the merged group looks like:

©

TPH says it expects to report 2018 revenue of about $2.49 billion, EBITDA of $840 million and net debt of $1.26 billion, ahead of previous guidance. The company is due to report its 2018 results on September 18.

TPG is being advised by Macquarie Capital as financial adviser and Herbert Smith Freehills as legal counsel.

VHA is being advised by BofA Merrill Lynch and Deutsche Bank, and Norton Rose Fulbright as legal counsel.

The merger is dependent on regulatory approvals including from the consumer watchdog ACCC and Foreign Investment Review Board.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Australia's 2 shittest telecom company's becoming 1? Wow........................

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So the Phillo TPG call center will be a Vodafone Indian call centre?

Wahesh

Reaction score
So the Phillo TPG call center will be a Vodafone Indian call centre?
I dare say so as Voda is much bigger. But in the mean time it'll probably be business as usual.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Australia's 2 shittest telecom company's becoming 1? Wow........................
All they need to do now is purchase the optus streaming technology that brought us the world cup and they are set.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Idk why people complain about Voda, barely ever had a problem with them compared to what i went through with Telstra and Optus.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Idk why people complain about Voda, barely ever had a problem with them compared to what i went through with Telstra and Optus.
I remember at one stage I was getting SMS messages 12 hours late. Or the time they reeled me in with a good deal then make changes to their usage charges 2 months later.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Same here.. never had a problem with them (well except that wasn't my own issue). Been with the over 20 years now.

I wonder why TPG are taking naming rights to the joint merger though considering Vodafone are a worldwide name (and much better known in Australia) whereas TPG outside or here or Singapore are unknown (and only people that see ads on TV or are in IT will know about them).

Seems a dumb move.

Vodafone - in 150+ countries (and identified in more via the offshoot Digicell and same logo).
TPG - in 2.

Should have renamed as VodafoneTPG Australia if anything.

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love TPG.... Bought their shares @$1.50 around 2010, sold them in 2016 for $10.75.....last I looked they were hovering around $5-6......happy days

No Idea what the service is like, but made me some nice coin

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bad rep more than anything. About 8-10 years ago they were shocking. Absolute rubbish. They're a lot better now days but their rep still sticks.

That said, the Mrs is with Vodafone and she often loses connection.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bad rep more than anything. About 8-10 years ago they were shocking. Absolute rubbish. They're a lot better now days but their rep still sticks.

That said, the Mrs is with Vodafone and she often loses connection.
Alot of their issues were with dropouts and shit coverage. I had the same issue at home until I upgraded to a 900Mhz handset and the issue was resolved.

These days I get good speeds from them. At our old place (just down road from a tower) I used to get like 85 down, 35 up internet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.