Opinion Top 8 watch: Next 7 weeks - chance to climb the ladder

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith in Penrith is the only game i can't see us winning. Absolute bonus if we manage to pull off a crazy upset there, all the others we should win and a few of them we should be able to rack up some cricket scores.

Great to be a 'Dogs fan at the moment

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Penrith in Penrith is the only game i can't see us winning. Absolute bonus if we manage to pull off a crazy upset there, all the others we should win and a few of them we should be able to rack up some cricket scores.

Great to be a 'Dogs fan at the moment
Penrith in Penrith, the week after they have a bye, doesn't get much tougher.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I think a few player managers probably wanted significant overs for their players to come to us and whilst it was dissapointing at the time we didn’t land an alpha prop it’s a credit to Gus and Ciro for sticking to their guns.
The price for props will inevitably come down too. So the teams that beat us to those props, will be stuck paying overs

Last edited:

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice. Some people pocketing the 2 points before we even play :grinning:
Think they did the same last year and we end up losing pretty much all of them lol
We should only be looking to see improvement each week on the field, if it leads to a win then great. Melb game i was dissapointed with result but satisfied as it was an improvement. Tigers after the bye will be tough, everyone is expecting a win. Tigers are not easy beats and while Dogs have started the year well they have not earned the right to refer to anyone as easy beats lol

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith in Penrith, the week after they have a bye, doesn't get much tougher.
Tbh early in 2012 a lot of us had the same feeling about a lot of teams as well, but we ended up bulldozing through them. Not saying we will through Penrith but if we pull out another performance like we did against the Storm, it's not entirely out of the question. AAMI Park is traditionally a graveyard for most of the Storm opponents, but we would need to perform well and truly above the norm and the Panthers would need to have at least a slightly off day

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Expecting wins against Tigers and Dragons can’t drop those type of games. Think we win against Newcastle away in a tasty revenge, a win in magic round is an absolute bonus. Side will be up for it against Penrith, will measure how far we’ve come there still the bar.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbh early in 2012 a lot of us had the same feeling about a lot of teams as well, but we ended up bulldozing through them. Not saying we will through Penrith but if we pull out another performance like we did against the Storm, it's not entirely out of the question. AAMI Park is traditionally a graveyard for most of the Storm opponents, but we would need to perform well and truly above the norm and the Panthers would need to have at least a slightly off day
Mate I agree, I'm just trying to temper my expectations. Penrith are more beatable now,than they have been for a while,especially if Cleary isn't there

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think they did the same last year and we end up losing pretty much all of them lol
We should only be looking to see improvement each week on the field, if it leads to a win then great. Melb game i was dissapointed with result but satisfied as it was an improvement. Tigers after the bye will be tough, everyone is expecting a win. Tigers are not easy beats and while Dogs have started the year well they have not earned the right to refer to anyone as easy beats lol
Yes Tigers won't be Newcastle without Gagai and Ponga

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate I agree, I'm just trying to temper my expectations. Penrith are more beatable now,than they have been for a while,especially if Cleary isn't there
Absolutely. Especially given the Jekyll and Hyde moments our team has given us over the years, still taking it week by week. Hopefully we don't go all traditional 'Dogs and think the game is won against the Tigers before a ball is even kicked

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Expecting wins against Tigers and Dragons can’t drop those type of games. Think we win against Newcastle away in a tasty revenge, a win in magic round is an absolute bonus. Side will be up for it against Penrith, will measure how far we’ve come there still the bar.
The funny thing is they'll be thinking the exact thing playing us!

Week by week... We've been shit for 8 years, we can't get cocky! We haven't won 2 games in a row yet this year.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gave the Newcastle game a watch on TV since I went to the game. Our tackling technique is the best I’ve seen no word of a lie. Might be something stirring up you know.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was just thinking about our chances. By my reckoning I think we could jump into 9th spot after our bye without even playing a game. If things really go our way we could actually be in the 8.

We have a 4 point turnaround after the bye. Currently on 6 points and in 12th and will be on 8 points with a P/D of 17. No side below us can overtake because our P/D is better. All sides below have - 29 or more P/D and they would have to win by 40 or 50 to jump us.

The Dragons in 9th on 8 pts -18 P/D, Warriors 10th on 7 pts +20 p/d and Roosters 11th on 6pts and +31 are ahead of us. Warriors play Titans so should win and be on 9 pts. But Roosters play Dragons so we could technically jump both into 10th if Dragons beat Roosters by no more than 35 points at home. But either way we will jump into 11th.

Cowboys in 8th on 8 pts with -8 p/d and they play Panthers. If the Cowboys lose we can go go to 9th if other results go our way without having played a game. Cowboys would be out of the 8 and the Warriors in.

But then the Raiders in 7th on 8 pts with a +24 p/d play the Sharks and have just lost Fogarty. If the sharks win by 8 points or more we could technically get into the 8 without having played a game by round 9 lol.

Now I may have got things wrong as I was getting excited and its all pinned on a lot of things going our way but when you think about it all that needs to happen is the Dragons at home to beat the Roosters, the Panthers with probably Cleary back to beat the Cowboys and the Sharks to beat the Raiders minus Fogarty.

But at the minimum we will jump into 11th but could be as high as 8th. Thats just unbelievable but if it happens we deserve it and it will inspire us to go on with it. Especially in that we will also be getting back players like Preston, Mann and even Fifita.
I was checked this again and found I missed that if Dragons beat Roosters they get 2 points. So Warriors and Dragons or Roosters will be ahead of Dogs. That means the best we can hope for is 9th. But thats still good as we will be at the door of the top 8.

The next game against Tigers is vital to win as we then face Panthers away. I'd say we have shown we are up there with the likes of the Dragons, Cowboys, Knights and Raiders and maybe Manly and Roosters who will be fighting for the top 8.