Top 25 Most Memorble Sporting Moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
ABC Grandstand put this list together based on a listeners poll. It is meant to be from all over of the world, but obviously it has a huge Aussie bias and with more recent events dominating.

Yesterday they were counting down and playing replays of most of the moments. It was great listening. I thought the best replay was no. 5. It sent shivers down the spine again.

Here they are:

1. Australia II wins the America's Cup, 1983.
2. The Socceroos qualify for the World Cup football, 2006.
3. Kieren Perkins claims gold in the 1,500 metres at the Atlanta Olympics, 1996.
4. Cathy Freeman wins gold in the 400m at the Sydney Olympics, 2000.
5. Steve Waugh's century in the Sydney Test v England, 2003.
6. Sydney Swans win the AFL flag, 2005.
7. Makybe Diva wins her third Melbourne Cup in a row, 2005.
8. Shane Warne dismisses Mike Gatting with his first ball in Ashes cricket, 1993.
9. Australia and South Africa tie their cricket World Cup semi-final, 1999.
10. Steven Bradbury's Winter Olympics gold, 2002.
11. Kookaburras win hockey gold at the Athens Olympics, 2004.
12. Ian Thorpe swims down Garry Hall in the 4x100m freestyle relay, Sydney Olympics.
13. The Brisbane Lions win three AFL premierships in a row - 2001, 2002, 2003.
14. Australia ties the Brisbane Test against the West Indies, 1960/61.
15. Michael Bevan hits a boundary to win against the West Indies in a one-dayer, 1996.
16. Lance Armstrong wins his seventh straight Tour de France, 2005.
17. Muhammad Ali beats George Foreman in the "Rumble in the Jungle", 1974.
18. The 2005 Ashes series.
19. The Newcastle Knights claim a last-minute ARL grand final win over Manly, 1997.
20. The Sydney Olympics' opening ceremony, 2000.
21. Canberra's dramatic ARL grand final win over the Tigers, 1989.
22. Herb Elliott's Olympic 1,500m win at the Rome Olympics, 1960.
23. John Eales' kicks a goal to win the Bledisloe Cup for Australia, 2000.
24. David Hookes' boundary blitz on Tony Greig in the Centenary Test, 1977.
25. Andrew Lloyd's Commonwealth Games 5,000m gold medal, 1990.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gosh...i thought the kiwis would get a mention...:(...ohwell:grinning:

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Is this for Australia's 25 most memorable sport moments

Or is it a world

Cause you got like 23 that involved individual or team australians

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
im sure its just australians...and besides...kiwis dont have memorable sporting moments.

Im surprised "that tackle" by george Gregan didnt make it in there.

D

Danish

I really have to question the poll when a run-of-the-mill GF win for Newcastle is higher than the Opening Ceremony for the 2000 Olympics.

Clearly they didnt reach out to a very large demographic for this one.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
im sure its just australians...and besides...kiwis dont have memorable sporting moments.

Im surprised "that tackle" by george Gregan didnt make it in there.
Ahh hello...we won the tri nations...in both codes...we won the grandslam(in union for those who dont know), we dominated in the netball(not that, that really counts anyway:grinning:), Michael Campbell won the u.s open...the list goes on....

Meh..twas prob just an auzzie one anyway....

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Go_The_Doggies said:
Ahh hello...we won the tri nations...in both codes...we won the grandslam(in union for those who dont know), we dominated in the netball(not that, that really counts anyway:grinning:), Michael Campbell won the u.s open...the list goes on....

I meant on a huge scale...just winning a tri nations isn't a big deal i guess. The netball is good but it needs a story behind it, and same goes for the US open.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go_The_Doggies said:

Don't mean to disrespect but Michael Campbell winning the U.S. Open in Golf is nothing spectacular. Certainly not worthy of being anywhere near the top 25 of the most memorable. I didn't even know he won it to begin with!

And if you want to put NZ's Tri Series win this year in it, you might as well put Australia's win the series before that as well as the past decade of dominance.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
They made it pretty clear that it was in no way a definitive list and was mostly a bit of fun. One of its main aims was to spark a bit of debate.

Also, they have used memorable as compared to greatest.

I'm sure it was meant to be worldwide because of the inclusion of the "rumble in the jungle" and Lance Armstrong.

This is the intro it has on the website:

This summer Grandstand listeners were asked to vote on what they believed was the most memorable moment in sporting history. The result was a flood of suggestions covering sporting events from all over the world. Here is the Top 25 as voted for by the Australian sporting public.

P

PineappleGirl

lol qualifying for the world cup was 2nd...u would think we wont it.

W

Winston Smith

2000 olympics opening ceremony - wtf - that's not sport, it was a performance, an event, but not blo.ody sport. who won in the opening ceremony??? dimwits

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Dzerzhinsky said:
2000 olympics opening ceremony - wtf - that's not sport, it was a performance, an event, but not blo.ody sport. who won in the opening ceremony??? dimwits
They said they had received a lot of e-mails bagging that. They justified it by saying that it was the start of a memorable event.

Pineapple_girl said:
lol qualifying for the world cup was 2nd...u would think we wont it.
This was what sparked the whole debate a couple of months ago.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PantherPower83 said:
Don't mean to disrespect but Michael Campbell winning the U.S. Open in Golf is nothing spectacular. Certainly not worthy of being anywhere near the top 25 of the most memorable. I didn't even know he won it to begin with!
And if you want to put NZ's Tri Series win this year in it, you might as well put Australia's win the series before that as well as the past decade of dominance.
Its memorable to NZ:(

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
Steven Bradbury? lol. What a joke. Hes ranked 10th because some people fell over.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doink. said:
Steven Bradbury? lol. What a joke. Hes ranked 10th because some people fell over.
As comical as it was, it was nonetheless MEMORABLE which is what that list was about.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Its obvious why the qualifying for the world cup was the 2nd point on the list.

- Hadn't made it for 32 years.
- Football (soccer) is the worlds number 1 sport
- High tension penalty shoot out
- Week before hand uruguyan coach and Recoba come out with ridiculous comments leaving every aussie baying for their blood

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
No.15 for me has stuck in my memory for years and probably always will. Michael Bevans innings was absolutely stellar and you couldnt have made it any more exciting for mine. A true champion of the one day game....

There are some others in that list that are absolutely awesome too but i thought i would pick a great memory of mine to reflect on....

Russ

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
bulldogruss said:
No.15 for me has stuck in my memory for years and probably always will. Michael Bevans innings was absolutely stellar and you couldnt have made it any more exciting for mine. A true champion of the one day game....

There are some others in that list that are absolutely awesome too but i thought i would pick a great memory of mine to reflect on....

Russ
Got to agree with you there. I remember the moment very well and at the time it was an absolutely massive occassion/shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.