Tonight could make or break Kyle Flanagan

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He never said cleary 2.0 he just compared him to nathan cleary of 2 years ago and thought he could reach the same heights but yeah he was wrong, He was also wrong on waddell guys trash, Ive lost all faith in flanno i hope to never see flano, sione katoa, waddell and stimson in bulldogs colours ever again after this season
Well, that’s pretty much the same thing in my eyes. Good seldom comes of comparing young players to elite ones. No young player needs that kind of pressure. Especially one who just got released from another club.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Allan was a gun fb last year but he cant do what he did for souths in our team, Alot of it was off the back of fast play the balls and alot of momentum, The type of fullback he is just dosent fit our current side.
Maybe not, but it makes more sense to work on the issues of the team than to give up on the fullback who has proven he can do very well in the right conditions. If he couldn’t work behind our current pack, a good coach should have identified that.

I hope Barrett turns things around for us snd I’m not calling for his head, but I wouldn’t rate his performance highly upset up this point. Glad he’s not afraid to get up the refs though.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe not, but it makes more sense to work on the issues of the team than to give up on the fullback who has proven he can do very well in the right conditions. If he couldn’t work behind our current pack, a good coach should have identified that.

I hope Barrett turns things around for us snd I’m not calling for his head, but I wouldn’t rate his performance highly upset up this point. Glad he’s not afraid to get up the refs though.

Nobody will be turning anything around if we dont sign a hooker and 2 gun props.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He played three games at the back.... two in absolutely dismal weather. That’s exactly what I mean.... Allan was one of the form fullbacks last year, Barrett made the choice to sign him and gave him three games. Now he’s playing him out of position and by all reports chasing another fullback.

That’s two players he signed and has all but given up on before half the season has passed. It’s clear he won’t have a place for Flanagan next year... with Addo Carr, Naden and now reportedly Dufty coming, it’s unlikely he’ll have a place for Allan either.... and I think it’s very likely Allan will do well elsewhere and make Barrett look like a bit of a clown.

I don’t think Barrett has enough patience, I think he’s willing to make knee jerk decisions that aren’t always sensible and I don’t think he has a plan in terms of recruitment and retention. If he’d signed one player and they hadn’t worked out as planned, that’s understandable.... but to have siresdy given up on two of his own signings less than a season into his tenure is a concern to me. At some point you have to look past the players to the bloke who is signing them.
He was a form fullback with a good spine however. In the absence of that it wasn’t working. Similar to the Chooks with Flanno, Souths didn’t fight to keep Allen. After Round 3 Baz was searching for combos after two donuts against the Panthers and Ponies, possibly also coinciding with JMK’s injury. At the time it was DWZ or Meaney at the back. Now that we know one is gone and the other going maybe Allen gets another shot (Dufty is unconfirmed).

Another reason these guys were bought was backfill for those not renewed at the end of 2020 - Montoya, Holland, Lafai, Cogger and Foran in the backs/halves.

I just don’t think it’s as cut and dried as you’re suggesting in terms of ‘giving up on them’ and there’s always mitigating factors. In terms of no place for them next year - someone has to want to buy them first, otherwise they’re staying - possibly in reggies, yes.

For now Allen remains in the team (after his injury) and there’s obviously a reason Flanno does not - possibly the attitude of both players is the difference? Only Baz and they know the real reasons why.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis is a left edge half, Flanno is not. It was the right call to make for the team. If Flanno is a team first kind of player, he should get that.
I can get that Flanno would be very disappointed, and rightfully so.

But before the Manly game selections, my tip was that LL would get picked ahead of Kyle for the simple fact that you pointed out - Lewis is a left side player and with Avo seeming to settle in on the right, LL would be the logical choice to replace Wakeham.

Also a better defender & a better long kicking game.

There is only one thing that Flanno can do in his disappointment..... WORK HARDER.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He was a form fullback with a good spine however. In the absence of that it wasn’t working. Similar to the Chooks with Flanno, Souths didn’t fight to keep Allen. After Round 3 Baz was searching for combos after two donuts against the Panthers and Ponies, possibly also coinciding with JMK’s injury. At the time it was DWZ or Meaney at the back. Now that we know one is gone and the other going maybe Allen gets another shot (Dufty is unconfirmed).

Another reason these guys were bought was backfill for those not renewed at the end of 2020 - Montoya, Holland, Lafai, Cogger and Foran in the backs/halves.

I just don’t think it’s as cut and dried as you’re suggesting in terms of ‘giving up on them’ and there’s always mitigating factors. In terms of no place for them next year - someone has to want to buy them first, otherwise they’re staying - possibly in reggies, yes.

For now Allen remains in the team (after his injury) and there’s obviously a reason Flanno does not - possibly the attitude of both players is the difference? Only Baz and they know the real reasons why.
Dropping two players he actively perused makes him and the club look stupid.... especially considering how much he talked up Flanagan upon signing him. Bennett had Latrell coming back and a cap to manage at souths. He probably also thought he was doing the right thing in releasing Allan to a club where he would have a good opportunity to play first grade in his preferred position.

I think Trent has been way too wishy washy, has shown no patience or consistency in his own decisions and I think his decision to place Flanagan under even more media scrutiny my naming him as a decoy this week was straight up shithousery.

No reason at all to speculate about their attitudes.Flanagan fronted a presser after getting hooked at halftime with his dad in the crowd and was apparently sitting in the stands with a notebook yesterday. That doesn’t suggest a player with an attitude problem
to me.

I don’t want to argue around in circles .... my mind isn’t going to be changed by anything les than Barrett showing more consistency in his plans and making more effort to shield young players who are already facing a lot of media scrutiny from more of it. Naming Flanagan and talking him up to the media through the week when he apparently had no intention of playing him really pissed me off. It’s just inviting more scrutiny and criticism of a kid who has already faced enough of it.

I really want to see Trent lift he cages so far I’ve been unimpressed with him.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Flano has a lot of flaws in his game but Barrett’s treatment of him would be devastating to any player’s confidence. The way Barrett has treated Kyle is nothing short of disgraceful
Apparently the team trained the whole week with Lewis at half, if true then it was probably a mind game Baz played on the rotters.
In which Flanagan would have known that he was not going to play, therefore should not be hurt.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Apparently the team trained the whole week with Lewis at half, if true then it was probably a mind game Baz played on the rotters.
In which Flanagan would have known that he was not going to play, therefore should not be hurt.
And you think the extra media scrutiny that sort of a stunt would place on Flanagan would be good for him? You think it’s good for his self esteem sitting and watching Barrett crap on to the media about how he will handle the pressure knowing full well Barrett doesn’t really believe what he’s saying and he won’t play.

Barrett has done more than enough to damage Flanagan’s self belief. His mid week media stunt Was totally unnecessary. Just because Flanagan knew about it doesn’t mean it was good for him.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dropping two players he actively perused makes him and the club look stupid.... especially considering how much he talked up Flanagan upon signing him. Bennett had Latrell coming back and a cap to manage at souths. He probably also thought he was doing the right thing in releasing Allan to a club where he would have a good opportunity to play first grade in his preferred position.

I think Trent has been way too wishy washy, has shown no patience or consistency in his own decisions and I think his decision to place Flanagan under even more media scrutiny my naming him as a decoy this week was straight up shithousery.

No reason at all to speculate about their attitudes.Flanagan fronted a presser after getting hooked at halftime with his dad in the crowd and was apparently sitting in the stands with a notebook yesterday. That doesn’t suggest a player with an attitude problem
to me.

I don’t want to argue around in circles .... my mind isn’t going to be changed by anything les than Barrett showing more consistency in his plans and making more effort to shield young players who are already facing a lot of media scrutiny from more of it. Naming Flanagan and talking him up to the media through the week when he apparently had no intention of playing him really pissed me off. It’s just inviting more scrutiny and criticism of a kid who has already faced enough of it.

I really want to see Trent lift he cages so far I’ve been unimpressed with him.
Not trying to change your mind, just don’t think it’s as cut and dried as you say but we all have our views.

re: scrutiny, I think the best thing young players could do is abandon the cesspit of social media - an utter sewer and time waster. But I’m in the minority there.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Not trying to change your mind, just don’t think it’s as cut and dried as you say but we all have our views.

re: scrutiny, I think the best thing young players could do is abandon the cesspit of social media - an utter sewer and time waster. But I’m in the minority there.
No doubt social media can be a highly toxic environment.... but it’s such a big part of contemporary life. In any case, social media isn’t the only media I’m worried about.

in any case, we’ll have to agree to disagree. I think Baz’s handling of Flanagan has been poor from day one.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This kid is typical of the 'everybody gets a ribbon" generation that's coming through now,he has been given every opportunity to succeed when the reality is he never earned those opportunity's. When he got here he was handed the key's to team and had the full support of the coach and the club,the first time he was put under any sort pressure to perform he shit the bed and kicked stones instead of sucking it up and being an adult.
Welcome to the real world Kyle.